Oil filter relocation kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 10:16 PM
Blue 55
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil filter relocation kit

Due to the exhaust being too close for comfort after installing a set of rams horns, I put an Oil filter relocation kit on my 239 today. So far-so good. The claims are that this kit will help reduce oil temperature as well. Anyone else ever use one? Also took the generator off today and installed an alternator using the bracket from Mummert. Took a little longer timing cover bolt for the tensioner but other than that it was a smooth transition.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:40 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use a remote oil filter adapter. One problem is extra connection points which may result in leaks. Another more difficult problem was a relaxed seal at the block. I've worked on it multiple times, and the suggestion here is go back to the oil filter on the block.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Blue 55
Junior User
I do have one leak on the inlet hose to the filter adaptor but thinking the crimping tool will fix it. I also put a mechanical oil pressure gauge in place of the original sensor. Can't get the oil to flow up the tube though. I have checked the fitting on the block, the fitting on the gauge and the tube itself. Have tried the plastic tube that came with the gauge and also tried a copper tube kit. with the tube installed up to the gauge I can blow back into the block but when I crank the truck no oil comes up the tube. When I disconnect the tube from the fitting on the block and crank the truck plenty of oil squirts out of it, so I know there is pressure coming out. I can't figure it out....

Old 08-04-2013, 08:47 AM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The air in the tube to pressure gauge is not a problem. Gauge should read just fine. If not, gauge is defective.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:52 AM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
This is just a wild guess but it sounds like the air needs to be bled off might help. Try letting the engine run and crack the fitting at the gauge lose and see if it will push the air out, similar to bleeding a brake line..

While I was typing another post was added saying the air isn't a problem, so disregard my suggestion.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:20 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue 55
Due to the exhaust being too close for comfort after installing a set of rams horns, I put an Oil filter relocation kit on my 239 today. So far-so good. The claims are that this kit will help reduce oil temperature as well. Anyone else ever use one? Also took the generator off today and installed an alternator using the bracket from Mummert. Took a little longer timing cover bolt for the tensioner but other than that it was a smooth transition.
So how do you like the horns?
Are they used or new made by?
Pix would be nice
How much $
Boy a lot of????

Old 08-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Blue 55
Junior User
I disconnected the line from the back of the gauge and after about 15 minutes of idling I finally got a drop of oil. then it started coming out at a rate of about one drop per minute....

after I fix the leak on the inlet hose to the filter I'll drive it around some and see if the oil starts to come out faster from the tube.

I got the horns from Mummert's site. $350. I feel it was a great investment. Made a huge difference. I would do it again - without a doubt!

I have some before and after pics in my garage/album.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Matt1966
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
The Ramhorns looks great! I would like to install this on my truck to but i live in Sweden and have to make a good plan for the conversion. I love my truck but not the sound from the single exhaust. Is it possible without relocating the oil filter or dipstick tube? Really appreciate suggestions. If you dont understand my school english, just let me know and I will try to explain better. The truck is a F100-56 with Fordomatic. Thanks!
Mats

Old 08-06-2013, 03:35 PM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
I can't really speak for the 50s F100s but when I had original Rams Horns, there were no issues with the oil filter.

Maybe some blocks have a slightly different position for the oil filter?? Maybe it's only older blocks??

The dipstick will need to be revised as well. I think the tubes for use with the rams horns are available somewhere.

I use the car dipstick location with a shortened car dipstick. With this arrangement, there is about 1/4" of oil on the dipstick when it is full.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Matt1966
Tuned
Thanks!
I found the Rams Horns here
FORD Y
but the custom dipstick tube they use to sell is not available. I also thought I
had to relocate the oil filter or use an adapter for spin on oil filter to get some more space for manifold clearance but I dont know for sure.
Appreciate all help I can get to plan my conversion. Thanks a lot!
Mats

Old 08-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Blue 55
Junior User
I didn't really "have" to relocate the oil filter, its just that I was uncomfortable with it only being 1.5 inches away from the exhaust, and the way the new dual exhaust was ran it made it almost impossible to get the filter off for oil changes. It might have been ok to leave it like it was, but I feel better now. I did have a spin-on kit, which is what the relocator kit screwed on to. As far as the dipstick, it was only a slight bend towards the cab and the manifold fit just fine. I will probably pick up one from Mummert anyway if he gets more in at a later date though.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:13 PM
Matt1966
Tuned
Thanks! I have to think about it for awhile and make a decision. Is it possible with a shorter spin on oil filter to get some more clearance to the manifold? Are there to different locations for the dipstick tube on y-blocks?
I think some pictures shows the dipstick tube in the front of the manifold and some in the middle of the manifold? Thanks a lot everybody ! ! !
Mats

Old 08-06-2013, 05:42 PM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
I'd just get the manifolds installed and then see if you need to do anything special. I had no problems with a normal sized filter.

I have headers now and that is much tighter, but still plenty of room.

For the dipstick, car's used the front locations and trucks used the middle location.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Matt1966
Tuned
Thanks again! Sounds like a great suggestion. I will order the manifolds and
then see what happends with the oil filter and dipstick tube.
Mats

Old 08-15-2013, 03:49 PM
Blue 55
Junior User
Got the oil pressure situation corrected. The relocation kit was too far away from the motor and took too much for the oil pump to push the oil that far and still have enough pressure to push the oil up to the gauge. The first hoses I used were almost two feet long because I wanted to get the filter to a certain spot. Once the hoses were shortened to about a foot long the gauge read 60 psi. leak is fixed, pressure in good, now I feel better! Got the compressor for the AC today and am going to start finding a way to mount that next.

Quick Reply: Oil filter relocation kit