1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Project American Cruiser (Leah, the '68 F100)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 02:12 AM
Thed
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Project American Cruiser (Leah, the '68 F100)

Hey guys! New-ish here, but not to the internets.

Being the die-hard Fordie I am, and a college kid with some cash burning a hole in my pocket (I work my *** off) I wanted to venture into the realm of old-truck ownership.

My search was relatively straightforward, I wanted something that ran, had a three-on-the-tree, and in between the years of 1965-1979, with minimal rust and on the cheap. The search wasn't easy, and it took nearly a year of searching to find a few good candidates. I really, REALLY wanted a '65 becasue back when I was growing up in Kansas my dad had one, just as a fun truck. I wanted one for the very same reason. I wanted tool around in an old Ford that would **** off the average Prius owner. After all of this time, I drove an hour out to check out a sweet '68 F-100 Ranger. She originally had a 390, but it was later swapped out for a 302. Bummer, but then again... I am rebuilding a 302 for the Ranger so I have a garage full of parts for it. But not that it needs it, as she runs damn near perfectly. No knocking, no smoking, and a choir of eight beautiful cylinders. The only thing the engine needed was a rebuilt carb and a basic tune-up.The linkage for the three-speed was broken, but I was able to shift it into all gears when I crawled underneath. Even if the tranny needed a rebuild, it wouldn't be hard. I've rebuilt multiple manual trannies. She also has the auto overdrive unit, something absolutely mind-blowing to my young self. So after hearing it run I did another good once-over just to make sure that there weren't any hidden surprises. The body was surprising solid, and the frame looks great. The front driver's side body mount will need to be replaced immediately, but after looking on LMC really quick that turned out to be less of an issue than it really is. $30 + S&H and I know how to weld, so no biggie. The inner fenders and radiator support aren't anything to write home about, but they can wait a few months. Other than that, she was great!

So after a little back-and-forth on the price, I ended up nabbing her for $640.

She came home the next day:

So far I have bought a myriad of parts, but family, a vacation, and some recent unpredictable weather have prevented me from doing what I want to get done.

First thing first, though. I needed a battery. So I just swapped out the battery from my Ranger over to Leah, and bought the Ranger a much better battery so it can handle the extra power that my new sound system requires. Boom! I have a battery I knew was good for the '68 and I got my much-needed upgrade. Win-win! Plus the previous owner through in a very old battery, so I can use that as a core.

Next was the issue of the clogged-up carb. I ain't paying a buck fiddy for a reman'd carburetor. So I just spent $20 on a Motorcraft carb kit and decided I really didn't have much to lose.

So I have power, I have fuel, and I have a key that feels somehow like it is just begging me to turn it. What else is there to do? Start it, duh. So for the first time I pour gas in the carb, since a carb doesn't magically fill up unless the pump is feeding it. She catches, but dies after five seconds. Damn and blast.
Oh, did I forget to mention that she's got dual glasspacks?

So I give her another whirl, pour gas in the carb again and hope she catches.
I left this part out of the video, but I was jumping up and down with excitement. I was the happiest motherlover in the world! That 302 just sounds so badass. On the third try, I didn't pour any gas into the carb, and she fired right up without even trying. I've done a few more start-ups since then, just to make sure that the carb is keeping fresh gas in it. Fires up every time without a hitch. So it looks like the carb rebuild came with much success and I know have a truck that cranks right up on the first turn! Not bad for a first-time carb rebuilder. I just have to set the idle, more on that later.

So now some of you guys may be wondering, how is the fuel been getting to the carb? A truck that's been sitting needs its gas tank cleaned out! To be honest I've been running out of a bottle in the engine bay that's hooked up to the fuel pump. Nothing fancy. I just wanted a way to start her up and do the boring stuff later.

Welp, that was a few weeks ago. Now it's later.

Yep, we all know how that goes. Thankfully it was mostly empty so I was able to take it out on my own.

Next up will be the replacement of the master and all four slave cylinders, of course she'll be getting new shoes and drums. Brakes are something that shouldn't be taken lightly, so working or not it's all going to be replaced. All of the lines will be inspected upon completion, and anything I don't like will replaced promptly.

After the breaks I'll be getting some used tires and she'll be a road-worthy truck after that. Well, that plus the shifter linkage and body mount. Still, for $640 I think I did good. Here are my babies <3

Impressive for a 19 year-old right?

Old 07-08-2013, 03:09 AM
Thed
Senior User
Old 07-08-2013, 08:56 AM
carchub
Tuned
That's pretty frickn' cool man. I hope to be at least exactly were you are when I'm 19. I'm 17 and have a truck, but not a lot of money and the truck's far away in another state, but I want to learn how to weld too and get a good job so I can do these things.

Really like your project, and I anticipate more updates!

Edit: Is that orange button on the side of your steering column for air-horns? My truck had a white one like that for some air-horns installed by the PO, but I took it all out 'cause none of it worked.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:06 AM
MIKES 68 F100
Logistics Pro
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
CONGRATS !! looks like you found a nice truck and already withan AOD trans , that will help bring the MPG up

Old 07-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Thed
Senior User
Originally Posted by MIKES 68 F100
CONGRATS !! looks like you found a nice truck and already withan AOD trans , that will help bring the MPG up
No, it's a three-on-the-tree. If just has an overdrive unit that automatically shifts to a lower gear when you're cruising on the highway in third.

Remember, one of my requirements was that it had to be manual.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Thed
Senior User
Exclamation

Originally Posted by carchub
That's pretty frickn' cool man. I hope to be at least exactly were you are when I'm 19. I'm 17 and have a truck, but not a lot of money and the truck's far away in another state, but I want to learn how to weld too and get a good job so I can do these things.
Sweet! I'm not the only teenager here with an older truck. But welding is one of the required classes I need to graduate the program I'm in. I'm going to technical college and getting two associate's degrees, one in Heavy Equipment and Transport technology and one in Construction Equipment Systems.

Is that orange button on the side of your steering column for air-horns? My truck had a white one like that for some air-horns installed by the PO, but I took it all out 'cause none of it worked.
Nah, it's just the horn. Sucks, because I love the the semi-ring horn on these old steering wheels. Hopefully when I have the wheel pulled I can fix the contacts and get rid of that dumb-looking button. It also looks like the switch where the hazard lights go is broken, so it looks like I'm going to wire up a switch under the dash.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:04 PM
Thed
Senior User
Damn, I just paid a heart-breaking $139 for taxes, tag, and title.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:46 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Thed
Damn, I just paid a heart-breaking $139 for taxes, tag, and title.
It's all relative.. in CA, the bleeding heart liberals and DMV bend over backwards to bend you over forward.

The annual registration for my 70 is $163.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:00 AM
Thed
Senior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
It's all relative.. in CA, the bleeding heart liberals and DMV bend over backwards to bend you over forward.

The annual registration for my 70 is $163.
Hey, at least you get more opportunity to **** off hybrid owners down there.

I know I will.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:04 AM
carchub
Tuned
Aw man, that hurts. I wonder if it's that bad in Washington. If it is, I've got some more saving to do )=

Old 07-10-2013, 09:09 AM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run vanity plates & 1st year was $115, 2nd was $97. Regular plates would have been around $55 for IN. No idea here in MO. I will find out next year (maybe). I don't like the fact I have to drop a letter on my plate. MO only allows 6 letters. Mine is FARM TRK.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Thed
Senior User
Originally Posted by elgemcdlf
I run vanity plates & 1st year was $115, 2nd was $97. Regular plates would have been around $55 for IN. No idea here in MO. I will find out next year (maybe). I don't like the fact I have to drop a letter on my plate. MO only allows 6 letters. Mine is FARM TRK.
We get 8 characters here in NC... Here's what I chose:

Old 07-10-2013, 01:40 PM
carchub
Tuned
Hahaha! Nice

Old 07-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Thed
Senior User
If she actually gets higher than seven MPG I will be pleasantly surprised.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:21 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Thed
If she actually gets higher than seven MPG I will be pleasantly surprised.
302 2V with overdrive? I'm betting 9 or 10. Most excellent for a 19 year old. I could only be prouder of this thread if you were my own son. GOOD JOB!

Quick Reply: Project American Cruiser (Leah, the '68 F100)