Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

*New mirrors Installed!*Mirrors help and my Wifes hate of the left shoulder blind spot

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Trailblazen
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
*New mirrors Installed!*Mirrors help and my Wifes hate of the left shoulder blind spot

Afternoon all,
On the 1.5 hour drive home from denver the topic came up of the blind spot on this truck trying to look over your left shoulder to clear traffic vs. our 2005 F150. She really hates the B-Pillar and how big it is along with the seat when trying to look back for traffic. In discussing it I mentioned that the tow mirrors help with this since you have more mirror surface and a second mirror to provide more visibility. She said she wouldn't mind them but she wanted me to put it out there here to the forums if anyone knew of a good place to get the towing mirrors at a decent price and/or if someone was wanting to trade towing mirrors for ours. We have the Crome capped, power/Heated/memory (that works with the seat memory feature) with autotint mirrors that came with the Lariat Chrome package. They are nice and all but 1. I would rather have the bigger tow mirrors to help put my wife at ease driving this thing and when I tow, 2. I am not a fan of the chrome capped (would have been happy with them black but at the price I got this truck I really had no room to complain about the chrome). SO! If anyone knows a good place to get the towing mirrors at a decent price or is willing to trade let me know (auto tint is not a deal breaker on the tow mirrors as well as the memory but would be nice, but it does need to be power and heated). Thanks in advance guys for any help, thats why I come here is the community and the wealth of knowledge.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Jus2shy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've personally used Tasca which is out in Rhode Island and I'm on the other coast. I prefer using OEM parts for my truck when doing modifications and such. They're the people I sourced new upper shock towers for my front suspension, a tie rod and headlights when I did a modification a while ago. Only thing that's a PITA is their business hours since I'm on the West Coast. However, many members have found alternative websites, or have had their personal dealerships actually beat Tasca's prices. So shop around, hopefully more chime in with their responses.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:29 PM
longboxlover
Junior User
got mine on ebay from a ford dealer. just be sure to check prices on current listings and completed listings as well to find the best price. did my own install too, no problem actually sold my original mirrors off of my xlt on ebay for what I got the new ones for so they really didn't cost me anything. I think the dealer was Fairway ford in Michigan I think.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:44 AM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 246 Likes on 108 Posts
Yours doesn't have the little convex mirror up in the left top corner? Maybe that was added on my model year, I don't know.
On my right mirror, even though the whole thing is convex, I still put a round stickon convex mirror to help out. Maybe save a few bucks and try that on the left side. I've read a few complaints about the visibility out of these 150's, but my self have had no problems except for the right mirror thing, and I could lived with that if I needed to.
I'm very used to backing and driving with just the mirrors, so it's a bit hard for me to relate to others problems with it, but ya, I can see how some people might have a problem. Maybe you need to have her drive it a bit more, she may become used to it.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Trailblazen
More Turbo
No convex mirror lol. Its an 09. She has been driving it since we bought it but her opinion still hasn't changed about the blind spot and her hate for it. I got used to it not to mention with my height the seat is all the way back so I have a little easier time with the seat and the B pillar. She is shorter so needs to be closer to the wheel and pedals all the way close which runs into the problem of the pillar vs. seat blocking the rear passenger window for her to clear traffic. All in all I probably need to find a salvage yard and pull some off maybe but its hit and miss for what features would be on them or save up for some online. i highly doubt anyone would be willing to trade but figured I would put it out there.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:21 PM
SabreFX4
Senior User
Before you spend the extra $$ watch this video and make sure all your mirrors are set as indicated in this video. When set this way correctly, cars should move into the side view mirror, before they completely leave the rear view mirror....they should also just move into your peripheral vision before completely leaving your side view mirror on the driver's side. Set the center rear view mirror so when you're in your normal and natural seating position, that the center of the mirror is centered on the rear window and the center of the rear of the vehicle. A race driving instructor told me how to set mirrors this way 30 years ago...it REALLY works and I wouldn't drive a vehicle more than a mile without them set this way. It may take a little time to get used to having the side mirrors set so wide, if you're used to them set in close....but believe me, this will help eliminate 3/4 blind spots....it really does work!

Old 07-07-2013, 04:21 PM
awq134
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SabreFX4
Before you spend the extra $$ watch this video and make sure all your mirrors are set as indicated in this video. When set this way correctly, cars should move into the side view mirror, before they completely leave the rear view mirror....they should also just move into your peripheral vision before completely leaving your side view mirror on the driver's side. Set the center rear view mirror so when you're in your normal and natural seating position, that the center of the mirror is centered on the rear window and the center of the rear of the vehicle. A race driving instructor told me how to set mirrors this way 30 years ago...it REALLY works and I wouldn't drive a vehicle more than a mile without them set this way. It may take a little time to get used to having the side mirrors set so wide, if you're used to them set in close....but believe me, this will help eliminate 3/4 blind spots....it really does work!

AutoFocus - How to adjust your car's mirrors - YouTube

I couldn't agree more with this video. i used to adjust my side mirrors so i could still see the side of my car. my father tried to convince me otherwise but i wouldn't listen, that was until i got my pickup. Now if i could only convince my wife!

You'd think i would have listened to my father, he drove semi's for 13 years... who knew?

Old 07-08-2013, 08:30 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a 2013 FX4 and the drivers side mirror has a very nice convex mirror in the top left corner. Itis larger then the stick one that they sell in stores and I can easily see vehicles until they appear in the regular portion of the mirror.

I would just look for a set off of a 2013.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:12 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I really love the tow mirrors from the max tow package because of the large convex mirrors that eliminate the blind spots. I use them all the time! If you go to Ebay and type in F150 Tow Mirrors...a bunch will come up that have them...heated and telescopic.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:13 AM
Trailblazen
More Turbo
Funny you mention that Rob i found a set with heat/power/puddle light/memory/LED Turn signal for $298.99 for the pair tonight. 2009 2011 Ford F150 Heated Power Memory Towing Mirror w LED Signal Puddle Light | eBay
Beats fords $450 each anyday. More than likely will pick em up and sell my chrome cap/power/memory/autotint/LED turn mirrors here on the forums like i did my chrome exhaust tip to help offset the cost.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:33 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Trailblazen
Funny you mention that Rob i found a set with heat/power/puddle light/memory/LED Turn signal for $298.99 for the pair tonight. 2009 2011 Ford F150 Heated Power Memory Towing Mirror w LED Signal Puddle Light | eBay
Beats fords $450 each anyday. More than likely will pick em up and sell my chrome cap/power/memory/autotint/LED turn mirrors here on the forums like i did my chrome exhaust tip to help offset the cost.
Yep that is exactly what I am talking about. I would have put up a link but there are so many to choose from. The only difference is that mine are electrically telescoping and I believe the ones sold on ebay are manually telescoping. Either way once you get them iin the position you want them in...it wouldn't make any difference.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Trailblazen
More Turbo
the electronic telescoping isnt a big deal as long as the mirror is power. My current mirrors have the button to power fold but the guy who ordered the truck wanted the chrome mirrors without power fold......yeah dont ask me why cause I couldn't figure it out.Either way I think the ones I found are my best bet. It will accomplish what my wife and I need it to and maybe get her to feel comfortable driving the truck more and help me when I am towing.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Trailblazen
More Turbo
Looks like with negotiating with my wife and researching prices I'm going with the ones I linked. Once I install them I will have my chrome cap power/memory/heated/auto tint/LED mirrors for sale in the market place. Since they will be used I will more than likely price at a discount for both to help offset the cost of the new ones and no more than that. Looking forward to getting them and searching online found how to's for removing the door panel to access the mounting bolts for the mirrors. I will definantely post pics and writeup how the install process went and any hitches or problems I run into. The only thing I am losing is auto tint with these new mirrors but no sleep will be lost Lol.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Trailblazen
More Turbo
Purchased! Now the wait for shipping........lol

Old 07-14-2013, 12:37 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Trailblazen
Purchased! Now the wait for shipping........lol
Cool! Don't worry about the tinting mirrors...just tint your windows!

Quick Reply: *New mirrors Installed!*Mirrors help and my Wifes hate of the left shoulder blind spot