Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough starting on rear tank?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Island'r
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rough starting on rear tank?!?

So I went away on a long trip, and with the thirsty old big block under the hood I was forced to use both tanks...

I made it where I was going on the front tank, and then switched tanks about halfway home... She ran like a champ the whole trip.

Thing is, I went to start her the other morning on the rear tank, and she cranked, then stumbled sputtered for a few seconds and ran rough for a second, then purred like a kitten...

So I thought maybe the line wasn't holding pressure, so the next time I started it (a day later) I tried "priming" it by cycling the key on a few times to let the pump pressure build. Still did the same thing...

It SORT of does this when using the front tank as well, but only if the truck has been sitting for a day or two. But with the front tank, it just has to crank for about 3 seconds before it fires up,(no sputtering or anything) but if it has been drivin within the past day, it will fire as soon as you hit the key...

Any ideas??? I'm just gonna go back to using the front for now, but I would like the rear to be working properly so that I can swap between the 2 in order to keep both tanks fresh, and keep the pumps etc moving...

Old 07-05-2013, 01:16 PM
garrett_8
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crap in the tank clogged filter?

Old 07-05-2013, 01:32 PM
sgzeroone
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pump

I would assume its running a electric fuel pump, I had this problem on a car once and I just would turn the key to the on position and wait for the pump to re-prime the system before I would turn it over to start.
I never had any leaks, but for some reason that car would loose that good fuel prime over a day or so of sitting also.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:59 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
I had the same issue. First hard starts, some stumble. Then it won't start unless you do several "primes". Then it just won't run on that pump. I changed the pump out (and tank as it rotted) and all is well.

Mine also reached the point where switching tanks while driving resulted in the motor stalling. At first a switch-over caused a stumble but after some time the engine would just stall.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Island'r
Tuned
Originally Posted by garrett_8
crap in the tank clogged filter?
Possibly, but you would think that would cause issues all the time, not just on startup...

Originally Posted by sgzeroone
I would assume its running a electric fuel pump, I had this problem on a car once and I just would turn the key to the on position and wait for the pump to re-prime the system before I would turn it over to start.
I never had any leaks, but for some reason that car would loose that good fuel prime over a day or so of sitting also.
Yeah, even priming doesn't seem to eliminate it... just odd that after running it is fine on restarts...

Originally Posted by GoinBoarding
I had the same issue. First hard starts, some stumble. Then it won't start unless you do several "primes". Then it just won't run on that pump. I changed the pump out (and tank as it rotted) and all is well.

Mine also reached the point where switching tanks while driving resulted in the motor stalling. At first a switch-over caused a stumble but after some time the engine would just stall.
Yeah, its likely the original pump... hopefully it keeps going for a while... Really don't feel like dropping the tank

Old 07-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Island'r
Tuned
I guess the easiest way to see whats going on would to be to put a pressure gauge on the fuel rail, and see it it is bleeding down after 24 hrs or so?

Old 07-08-2013, 10:14 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Island'r
Really don't feel like dropping the tank
Just pull the bed. That's what I did.

Mine will start rough on the rear tank (and lately I've been starting it that way on purpose so that the engine doesn't rev to 1500 on a cold start) and will drive alright but lacks power. Rear fuel pump is on it's way out...ain't confirmed it with a gauge yet but I really don't need to. Runs great on my newly installed pump in the forward tank, so that rules out regulator and filter problems.

Bleeding pressure down overnight means the check valve in the fuel delivery module is leaking.