Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 F Series (lack of) Grab Handles

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 11:31 AM
Blane
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 93 F Series (lack of) Grab Handles

I have a 93 F250 fwd with XLT trim package. The truck did not come with any grab handles in the cab. I would like to add at least 1 grab handle to the passenger side to aid my wife in getting in and out of the truck. I recently noticed that the Super Duty series have a grab handle mounted on the A pillar. This kind of arrangement would be ideal for us. Has anyone mounted a handle like these in this location? If so, what is behind the plastic piece on the A pillar that I could screw a handle to? I also wouldn't be opposed to mounting a handle to the ceiling above the door head if it were possible.

Thanks for any input.

Blane

Old 06-28-2002, 02:27 PM
Motorcraft
Senior User

I don't know if you have them or what have you thought about running boards. I put them on my truck so my mother and GF to get in and out of my truck. Just my 2cents

Old 07-10-2002, 01:56 PM
91FORD
New User

Old 07-11-2002, 11:59 PM
beratte
Senior User

Yea I had the same complaints from the female variety. I mounted a *hevy grab handle out of a 95 pickup over the pass side door. I tried to do the same thing on the A-pillar where the new trucks have them as you were talking about but there's nothing to mount it to unless you weld something in. The one I put in looks nice and has held up so far. It was only around $10. If you need part numbers I think I still have them. I also just mounted today some Warn steps. These are bad mamma jammas. They were easy to install and they can be removed in about 30 seconds by backing off 4 wingnuts. They are black. I like to do some 4 wheeling so I didn't want to have anything slowing me down dragging the ground. They were only $118, which is a good price because they are top quality. Well hope this helps.

Old 07-12-2002, 09:40 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Ben,

Where did you get your steps from?

Old 07-12-2002, 11:56 AM
beratte
Senior User

I got them from a company here in Columbia SC called Lee Transport. They're good folks but shipping was a little slow. The web site [http://www.gowarn.com] has them for the same price and might be quicker in shipment. I checked them out after I ordered these from Lee and they were actually cheaper as far as the freight. If you do get these make sure you order the wingnut kit. They are nylock wingnuts so they don't vibrate off and allows you to quickly remove the step. It is part number 37260, I think it's $8 extra.

Old 07-12-2002, 01:14 PM
Blane
New User

Ben,

Thanks for responding.

I also have comtemplated mounting a handle where you mounted yours. After I took off the plastic piece that covers the metal on the A pillar and continues up and over the door I realized I would probably have to use sheet metal screws to attache the handle to the cab. Is this what you did? All the handles I saw at the local junk yard had the grab handles mounted into threaded holes using machine screws. Using sheet metal screws had me concerned about strength and rigidity of the grab handle.

Any comments?

Thanks,
Blane

Old 07-12-2002, 05:01 PM
beratte
Senior User

This is a good point. I was concerned about the strength but it's held up so far. What I did was use some GM self tapping machine screws that came with the kit. They have held up well and I think are stronger than just regular sheet metal screws. The way this handle is designed there is a hard plastic reinforcement around the bolts that extends beyond the rest of the handle on the inner mounting surface. So what I had to do was cut out my plastic trim piece over the door and headliner (in effect notch it) so that this would fit in and then screwed it in. This is actually better so that no stress is put on the trim piece, just the handle itself. I am going to upload some pics to my web site today and they should be ready tonight if you want to take a look. It's [http://users.superford.org/beratte]

Old 07-15-2002, 11:29 AM
mikej
Senior User

Ben,

I would like to see this as well. What is you website? I f you would prefer please e-mail me at lmj1@hot.rr.com.

Thanks,
Mike

93' F-150 Ext Cab 5.0L E4OD, MSD, K&N, 31x10.50's

Old 01-21-2004, 01:17 PM
sleepysal
Senior User
Hi ben I would be intersted in seein how you mounted them too/.
my e mail is scanales@yahoo.com thanks

Old 01-21-2004, 04:19 PM
bcf
Senior User
How about some metal handles on the exterior behind the door? I've got them, and they come in handy. easier to wash and wax the roof too. Don't know about price, though.

Old 01-21-2004, 04:32 PM
sleepysal
Senior User
bcf, Thanks for the tip. I Just got some ( Exterior handles ) today.
seems to be the ez way to go !!!

Old 01-21-2004, 08:20 PM
jessfactor
Elder User
about those exterior handles. do you have any problems w/rust? i would think the hole you drilled would rust ouit after a while.

Old 01-23-2004, 12:07 AM
SoCalDesertRider
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's what I was thinking, rust.... I usually use the gutter over the door as a grab handle, but it would be nice to have a handle maybe on the dash on the pass side.

Old 01-23-2004, 12:26 AM
gilraine
Tuned
Originally posted by SoCalDesertRider
That's what I was thinking, rust.... I usually use the gutter over the door as a grab handle, but it would be nice to have a handle maybe on the dash on the pass side.
That's what I did with my f-250... I put 2 large butterfly anchors in thru the metal behind the dash over the glove compartment... I removed the glove compartment to see where to drill and they went in fine... My girlfriend couldn't pull it out in almost 2 years o0f continous use...also useful when offroad, something for her to hold on to...besides me

Quick Reply: 93 F Series (lack of) Grab Handles