6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Shop price for bullet-proofing 6.0 worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Flight Doc89
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shop price for bullet-proofing 6.0 worth it?

My HPOP died over the weekend, got truck towed to shop. They quote 8 hours at $82/hour plus parts a sum of about $1500 to replace HPOP. I figure if they are pulling stuff off the top of the motor, maybe I can go ahead and do an EGR delete, oil cooler, and head studs while they are at it, so I ask for an estimate of such. they respond with 25 hours total and parts list/prices attached. Is this realistically worth it? Way overpriced?
What you guys think?

Old 07-03-2013, 06:52 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
i dont trust that shop at all if thats the estimate they gave you.
06 pump failers dont happen often, i would suspect other things first
there on par with head gaskets at the dealer pricing though.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Flight Doc89
Freshman User
Originally Posted by cheezit
i dont trust that shop at all if thats the estimate they gave you.
06 pump failers dont happen often, i would suspect other things first
there on par with head gaskets at the dealer pricing though.
I mistyped: They pressurized the HPO system, diagnosed leak secondary to cracked HPOP block. They recommended to replace HPOP while the were at it in case the HPOP failed soon, and I had read that the HPOP was a big problem on these trucks so that made sense to me considering the labor to get to it.

I know I can source a lot of these parts on my own and save a penny, but is that labor cost realistic?

EDIT: I should also ask this I suppose: should I stick with mostly OEM, or are aftermarket parts just as good/better/worse (like the bostech HPOP on xtremediesel.com)

Old 07-03-2013, 07:17 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
<p>They charged 1055 bucks on gaskets? And 639 for studs? Studs can be had for around 450 bucks, not sure on gaskets but man.</p> And what is an HPOP block? I think they want to bend you over for a good old fashioned a** raping.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:47 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HPOP failure on 05+ trucks is rare and generally only happens if the STC fitting explodes.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:54 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by the_auto_tech
HPOP failure on 05+ trucks is rare and generally only happens if the STC fitting explodes.
just makes a big leak till the stc is repaird. the pump should live. thats why ford started charging pumps back to the dealer

Old 07-03-2013, 07:57 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cheezit
just makes a big leak till the stc is repaird. the pump should live. thats why ford started charging pumpds back to the dealer
Like I said, that's the only instance I've really seen of the HPOP dying on an 05+ and it's rare as hell. Most of the time it just leaks and doesn't start anymore. lol

Old 07-03-2013, 08:08 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by Flight Doc89
I mistyped: They pressurized the HPO system, diagnosed leak secondary to cracked HPOP block. They recommended to replace HPOP while the were at it in case the HPOP failed soon, and I had read that the HPOP was a big problem on these trucks so that made sense to me considering the labor to get to it.

I know I can source a lot of these parts on my own and save a penny, but is that labor cost realistic?

EDIT: I should also ask this I suppose: should I stick with mostly OEM, or are aftermarket parts just as good/better/worse (like the bostech HPOP on xtremediesel.com)
On your year there are certainly waaay more common failure areas on the HPO system than the pump: like the STC fitting, which I can't tell if they are doing the update or not and it'd be ridiculous not to. Or the Dummy plugs and Stand Pipes -- did they mention those?

I got a quote from a shop to do a full bullet proofing, including studs and it was in the $7k range. I did what's in my sig for less than $3k having someone else do the work (parts were sourced by me at around $900).

How did you find this shop? Maybe you can check their reputation with your local FTE chapter or see who they would recommend. The later HPOPs are pretty reliable and cheezit is one of the top experts here on FTE.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:11 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Too bad people don't live closer to IA. The guy who did my bulletproofing did it for an excellent price. I think it ended up being about 3500 dollars (parts and labor) for ARP's, OEM gaskets, 4" MBRP straight exhaust, SCT Tuner, IPR Gen 2 EGR delete with up-pipe, coolant, oil change, turbo cleaning, intake cleaning, STC, stand pipes, dummy plugs, turbo drain and feed lines, FICM and injector diagnosis and 2 injectors installed, and some other stuff. He's a Ford master diesel tech at a dealership as well.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:17 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by the_auto_tech
Too bad people don't live closer to IA. The guy who did my bulletproofing did it for an excellent price. I think it ended up being about 3500 dollars (parts and labor) for ARP's, OEM gaskets, 4" MBRP straight exhaust, SCT Tuner, IPR Gen 2 EGR delete with up-pipe, coolant, oil change, turbo cleaning, intake cleaning, STC, stand pipes, dummy plugs, turbo drain and feed lines, FICM and injector diagnosis and 2 injectors installed, and some other stuff. He's a Ford master diesel tech at a dealership as well.
At a certain point it's worth the dang drive!

Old 07-03-2013, 08:27 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
At a certain point it's worth the dang drive!
I would easily agree. He did an excellent job and had it done in about a week doing it outside of work. I asked him about getting a 6.4 after this truck and he said he wouldn't drive a 6.4 if you gave it to him. lol

Old 07-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Dan Thorpe
Junior User
Don't mean to hijack the thread but I'll second the worth the drive part^^^^^^. I have an '03 that did have an HPOP failure and the repair with the EGR delete was right at $2800!! That was last year and I have taken it upon myself to learn how to do most things myself!! (Just changed my oil cooler and turbo myself for obviously just the cost of the parts.) Hate to think for just that much more I could be bullet proof!

Old 07-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Dan Thorpe
Junior User
Just looked at the estimate again... Wonder what kind of antifreeze they are getting for 16 bucks total? Whatever it is I don't think I want any!

Old 07-03-2013, 08:55 PM
big inch
Elder User
Originally Posted by mustang_309
<p>They charged 1055 bucks on gaskets? And 639 for studs? Studs can be had for around 450 bucks, not sure on gaskets but man.</p> And what is an HPOP block? I think they want to bend you over for a good old fashioned a** raping.
That's what I was thinking. I'm guessing they have quite a markup on their prices.

I can understand doing some preemptive repairs, but that estimate is way over the top. I would recommend that the op does some price shopping with some other shops.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:00 PM
big inch
Elder User
If it were my truck, I would replace the stc fitting (if that is what failed), do the oil cooler, egr delete, clean the turbo, and maybe do stand pipes and dummy plugs.

Quick Reply: Shop price for bullet-proofing 6.0 worth it?