New starter solenoid, still not starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 03:52 PM
J Duley
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New starter solenoid, still not starting

Hello all, hoping someone can give me a clue I just replaced my starter solenoid and I'm getting nothing. When 12 volts are applied directly from the battery to the solenoid, the engine wants to turn (granted my batteries are weak) however when I turn the key to start, after waiting for the "wait to start" light to go off and hearing the glow plug click, I turn the key and I get absolutely nothing. No click, nothing. Is there a possibility my ignition is bad? Would the "wait to start" and glow plug keep working if this were true? Electrical is not exactly my forte'. Before I replaced the solenoid, the bad one had a broken post but the truck would still start most of the time, and when it wouldn't I just connected the two large posts on the solenoid with channel locks or pliers or whatever was handy. I put the new one in exactly the same way the old one came out. I only undid one bolt and set of wires at a time so I wouldn't screw the order up, so I'm at a loss. Please Help!!!

Old 07-04-2013, 06:38 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,684 Likes on 1,360 Posts
MAKE SURE THE TRUCK IS IN NEUTRAL. Take a small wire and touch one end to the battery +, and the other end to the small terminal on the solenoid. I don't know what type of solenoid the parts place gave you, but if it has 2 small terminals, make sure to touch the little jumper wire to the "s" terminal. It should crank over.

If it does crank, then you have a problem with the signal getting to the small terminal. That signal originates at the ignition switch, then goes to a neutral safety or clutch switch if you have one, and then to the small terminal on the solenoid. This is all run with a red/blue wire.

If it doesn't crank, does the solenoid click? If not, check the grounding of the solenoid. If grounds through the feet where it's mounted.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:50 AM
J Duley
New User
Ok, that's what my dad was saying too, so that is a helpful confirmation. My brother in law suggested that maybe my batteries were simply too weak and to try putting them on a charger before I start tearing my steering column apart. What is your opinion on this? I'm trying to learn as much as I can so that I can fix this beast myself. I'm used to small gas engine cars so this is a little intimidating but I am determined to do this!

Old 07-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,684 Likes on 1,360 Posts
The test above will confirm some things. Yes, the glowplugs do zap the batteries pretty good, so there is the possiblity they are draining the already dead batteries so much that it won't start, but you would think it would at least grunt or do something.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:53 AM
J Duley
New User
LOL! Ok, well since I posted last I've gone and bought a battery charger so I'll keep you posted on what happens. Thanks for bearing with me!
After I solve this problem, I want to start talking transmission! (He says Oh God Nooooo! lol)

Old 07-04-2013, 06:05 PM
J Duley
New User
Ok, so batteries are fully charged now and no response from starter at all, not even a click. Truck will start if I touch the two large posts on the starter with some channel locks so it must be the ignition. Found that part online @autozone, but the other thing you mentioned, the neutral safety or clutch switch? How do I know which one I need? It's an automatic. I'm so frustrated it's not funny. I can't afford a mechanic and have no man to do this for me so it's me or a dead truck. MUST LEARN. Autozone even let me print instructions on how to change the ignition, but gave no mention of the other part, and when I looked up both of the parts you mentioned it gave no indication of which one I need or how to put it in or where it's even located in the truck. I hope you are not sick of me already. I'm going to be asking ALOT more questions.