1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

exhaust stacks problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 10:10 PM
protracker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust stacks problem

I hooked up the exhaust to my truck.... 1997 F350 Powerstroke. . No muffler or cat... dual 4 inch stacks everything fit okay but realize that only one stack is allowing exhaust escape and the other one is sucking air in.... so what did I do wrong or what do I do..... thanks in advance

Old 06-28-2013, 10:17 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you tee the pipe into stacks, or use some sort of Y?

Old 06-28-2013, 10:20 PM
protracker
New User
A...... y....

Old 06-28-2013, 10:50 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Most of the stack systems I've seen come straight up through the bed with the single pipe then in to a tee, well it looks like a Y, but it turns out 90* on both sides, so it's more like a tee. If that's what you've got, I don't know what would cause the one side to suck air in. But, if you're using an actual y, then the exhaust could be shooting straight out one side creating a suction on the other.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:10 AM
protracker
New User
Wink

I figured the Y pipe would evenly distribute the exhaust.... I looked in the Y pipe before I installed it and there was no obstruction... this situation is really ...."exhausting" me....

Old 06-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Splatts
Posting Guru
Is the Y pipe set way off to one side? I was thinking if it was too far to one side then the exhaust would take the shortest distance with the least amount of resistance. You picking up what I'm throwing down??

Old 06-29-2013, 12:09 PM
protracker
New User
Oh yeah .... its Mexican rigged right in the middle.... its a wrecker by the way... cuts and welds are... good..... aaaarrrrgggghhhhhh

Old 06-29-2013, 02:21 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Dual pipes on a single-exhaust system will be purely cosmetic no matter what you do. And it's reverse-cosmetic; anyone who knows what the truck is will know it's not really dual, and it will look instantly fake. A single stack will work just as well, and will get rid of the fake look at the same time.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:32 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by protracker
this situation is really ...."exhausting" me....
LOL!!! That's funny!

Old 06-29-2013, 06:32 PM
protracker
New User
I don't know what you mean by fake but it looks quite real to me as matter fact it set up exactly the 18 wheelers are because I used to work on them... the only problem I have is I'm trying to figure out what is causing the suction on one side.. sounds still comes out of it just not the exhaust fumes. . I could understand if it was just welded to the bed.. that's fake.. but its hooked up to the engine so I don't know what you mean by fake..

Old 06-29-2013, 09:13 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
It's a single exhaust path from the engine. Dual pipes behind single exhaust are fake. Dual exhaust is only dual when the two exhaust paths never commingle, from the headers/manifolds to the tailpipes/stacks. If you want the added capacity, it would make more sense to install a wider pipe and stack.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:39 PM
protracker
New User
Well.... point taken... but fake or not your expertise on pipe..... (pun intended)
Is the wrong kind of advice. ... that does nothing for telling me y one has suction and one release exhaust. By the way... your theory on dual exhaust is slightly inaccurate. .... the tunneling effect of the exhaust fumes constituts the exhaust type... your interpretation is performance enhancing with proper engine modifications... the " y" pipe disperses the fumes into two sseparate tunnels ... thus dual exhaust. ... the exhaust from said engine into one pipe given that the pipe is large enough does not cause restrictions to the dual tips.... ...... go.......

Old 06-29-2013, 09:53 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
A true dual exhaust has 2 pipes coming off the exhaust manifolds/headers/turbos. A single turbo engine that runs one pipe and splits into 2, is fine cosmetically, but gains nothing power wise. I can not explain why one pipe is working while the other is drawing. I know how an exhaust headers uses the other pipes to help draw out the exhaust, but I don't see how that can happen with a set of duals.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:31 PM
protracker
New User
Power wise... no it will do nothing... jus don't like the fake thing.... n e ways.... this will be tricky....

Old 06-29-2013, 10:46 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Can you post a pic of the y and its location.it just a matter of placement and getting a proper er draw or draft if you will.i know its not a house chimney. it will be an easy fix I'm thinking its more of a tuning matter.

Quick Reply: exhaust stacks problem