1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 05:44 PM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Odd shifting issues

I had some more time to mess around with my truck. The 4r100 shifts great until the truck warms up. After about 10 to 15 minutes of driving it starts. With the gear selector in D and under acceleration it will shift at about 2k rpm's and will be in third gear by 25mph. If I climb to higher speeds it will only shift out of O/D when I get my foot into it. It will not downshift into any gears until I am almost completely stopped. It will downshift and hold gears great if I use the column to shift. I'm stumped. No CEL or flashing O/D light.

Things I have checked:
TPS
VSS
All connections to the transmission
Set tune back to stock
Transmission fluid & level

Will the transmission still store codes even if the O/D light has never flashed? Would you know Mark?

Old 06-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
It's still a good idea to check for codes. It may have only flashed for a short time and you didn't notice.

You also will probably need to monitor data and see what's going wrong. Something is probably sending bad info to the PCM causing it to shift wrong.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:31 PM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
It's still a good idea to check for codes. It may have only flashed for a short time and you didn't notice.

You also will probably need to monitor data and see what's going wrong. Something is probably sending bad info to the PCM causing it to shift wrong.
I'll try and get the transmission codes read this week as a first step then. Thanks Mark.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:48 PM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
I had a transmission shop run the codes and found nothing. Now they didn't do a drive test while scanning the truck either. I didn't have time before I had to be back to work. Would a drive test reveal anything more if it didn't show up previously?

Old 08-04-2013, 08:59 AM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
I've been busy with the move and new job but I think it's time to stop being lazy and figure this out.
Could this be a symptom of a bad or sticky modulator valve in the accumulator body? My theory is once the trans gets to temp it starts to stick and causes the no downshift issue. Still no flashing O/D light or trans codes.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

The modulator valve only determines how hard/soft the shift is. It can't prevent the shift. It also can't make it upshift too soon.

To diagnose this either remove the valve body and check for stuck valves, or get a scan tool that can look at live data. Somewhere there is bad data that is causing the computer to tell the trans to shift at the wrong time. I expect it is in the vehicle speed data, but that's just a guess.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:28 AM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
The modulator valve only determines how hard/soft the shift is. It can't prevent the shift. It also can't make it upshift too soon.

To diagnose this either remove the valve body and check for stuck valves, or get a scan tool that can look at live data. Somewhere there is bad data that is causing the computer to tell the trans to shift at the wrong time. I expect it is in the vehicle speed data, but that's just a guess.
Thanks for the fast reply and information Mark. I'll see if I can find someone here that can check the live data.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:39 AM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
I haven't found someone that can do live data for the transmission yet. I know my SCT has data logging but I'm not sure how to work it or if it has the capabilities to show me that.

I took it out for another drive yesterday and it started acting up again so I unplugged the alternator and it was still doing it. One thing I did notice that I didn't before is that when it acts up my it will idle at about 1100 rpm's and drop slightly from time to time.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:32 AM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kameronth
I haven't found someone that can do live data for the transmission yet. I know my SCT has data logging but I'm not sure how to work it or if it has the capabilities to show me that.

I took it out for another drive yesterday and it started acting up again so I unplugged the alternator and it was still doing it. One thing I did notice that I didn't before is that when it acts up my it will idle at about 1100 rpm's and drop slightly from time to time.
If you haven't already remove the tune and put it back to stock and see what happens..

Old 11-03-2013, 12:30 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
The SCT won't tell you anything about the transmission info, I've used my SCT numerous times data logging and it's not great at all. There are laptop programs out there that are almost as good as Ford dealer software I'm buying one very soon

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 11-03-2013, 03:04 PM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Bigpipes 35
If you haven't already remove the tune and put it back to stock and see what happens..
I have put it back to stock and still the same results.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:04 PM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
The SCT won't tell you anything about the transmission info, I've used my SCT numerous times data logging and it's not great at all. There are laptop programs out there that are almost as good as Ford dealer software I'm buying one very soon

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
What program are you looking at? I may invest in something like that soon.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:56 PM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Another question. Like I said earlier when having the problem my idle goes to around 1100 in Park/neutral. Could a problem in the valve body or modulator affect the idle in park/neutral?

Old 11-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

The valve body can't cause that.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:52 PM
kameronth
Fleet Mechanic
Okay. Thanks for the reply Mark. I didn't think so but wanted to make sure before I pulled it apart.

Quick Reply: Odd shifting issues