Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Do you put truck in Tow when hauling with EB??

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:58 AM
quiacato
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you put truck in Tow when hauling with EB??

I have a 4,000 pound boat that I pull. With all my gear I guess I am at about 5,000 pounds. When pulling it is mostly highway. I have pulled with it on and with it off. Either way it pulls the load just fine BUT when going down steep hills in Tow a couple times the engine has downshifted really hard a couple times. Like freaked me out hard, RPMs shot way up. Is this normal? Is this okay for the truck? After that happened I finished my ride there and all the way home with the tow off and the truck did just fine. I have not noticed any difference in the MPGs I get with it on or off, I average about 9 - 10 pulling....sort of stopped paying too much attention to that, after all you don't pull a boat to the lake to not spend money on gas!

Old 06-11-2013, 11:46 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Was your cruise control on when it downshifted?

Old 06-11-2013, 12:02 PM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Your truck will downshift when going down hill if it starts to speed up no matter the setting.

I dont use tow haul. I tow a 7500 lb enclosed race trailer and tow in 6th gear all the time. Im not sure i can tell a difference in the tow/haul mode.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:32 PM
quiacato
Junior User
The truck was not in cruise control. Don't like using it when towing.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:11 PM
blueovelboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my 10 did this once and dealer told me it was normal hill decent kicks in and try's to slow you down! I would always pull with t/h on it just moves shift points and keeps truck in the power band longer when hitting the go peddle.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:40 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I suspect tow/haul mode is less about performance and more about longevity of the transmission (particularly the clutches).

Old 06-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
I suspect tow/haul mode is less about performance and more about longevity of the transmission (particularly the clutches).
I think it's the opposite; mine is much faster to downshift when coming down a hill in tow/haul, and that can't do anything but wear the clutches faster. It does this in attempt to control the speed coming down a hill, but that's a bad idea when towing a trailer with surge brakes because it will cause them to overheat. With the manual mode available I really don't like this part of how the tow/haul mode works.

I can't remember a time when I've ever heard of clutch packs wearing out in a transmission. I'm sure it's possible, but it's far more common to have mechanical or hydraulic failure in the transmission.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:35 PM
Dirtysnow
Junior User
I only use it going up or down steep grades. It's a HUGE help slowing the truck down going downhill. I tap the brakes once to start slowing then the transmission does the rest. We are so spoiled with these trucks when it comes to towing.

I really enjoy towing with this truck. It makes me feel like I'm driving an 18 wheeler.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:25 PM
roller57
New User
Tow/haul has never worked in any truck I ever had over 60 mph. So I guess unless your hauling a big load under 60 mph its useless!

Old 06-12-2013, 12:44 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by roller57
Tow/haul has never worked in any truck I ever had over 60 mph. So I guess unless your hauling a big load under 60 mph its useless!
Tow/haul and OD off are different. OD off does nothing below highway speed. Tow/haul actually changes shift points.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by thomabb
Tow/haul and OD off are different. OD off does nothing below highway speed. Tow/haul actually changes shift points.
True they are completely different, but my Excursion will go in to overdrive at 35 MPH. I've never driven a truck that wouldn't see overdrive until 60 MPH.

Originally Posted by roller57
Can you clarify? I can tell you with certainty that the tow/haul mode makes my F150 drive vastly different at all speeds.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:55 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Crazy001
I can't remember a time when I've ever heard of clutch packs wearing out in a transmission.
Happens all the time in the performance world. If tow/haul mode quickens shifts it is not for driver comfort, but for transmission health. OP asked if he should bother using Tow/Haul mode and I think the answer is YES!

Tow/Haul can't just be a change of shift RPMs. There's got to be more to it than that. For example, some transmissions can't hold much power in overdrive without burning. In that case you wouldn't want to climb a hill with a heavy load even if the engine had the torque to do it. I don't know how the F150 transmission works, but I'll bet Tow/Haul mode takes into account inherit weakness of transmission and avoids operations that might hurt the transmission.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:53 AM
stormtrooper
New User
In my 2010 F150, when in the tow haul mode, if you double tap the brakes going downhill with a load, it will automatically downshift a gear.
That was part of the design of the 6 speed tranny, but not really documented anywhere. Going down a steep hill I can continue to double tap the brakes to bring it all the way down to first gear without my hands leaving the wheel. (providing you are at a speed it can downshift to the next lower gear.)
I think it's a fantastic feature. It just catches you by surprise if you don't know about it.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Skoiv
Senior User
Absolutely use Tow/Haul mode. That is what it is intended for. It optimizes everything for towing. I absolutely love it.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by stormtrooper
In my 2010 F150, when in the tow haul mode, if you double tap the brakes going downhill with a load, it will automatically downshift a gear.
That was part of the design of the 6 speed tranny, but not really documented anywhere. Going down a steep hill I can continue to double tap the brakes to bring it all the way down to first gear without my hands leaving the wheel. (providing you are at a speed it can downshift to the next lower gear.)
I think it's a fantastic feature. It just catches you by surprise if you don't know about it.
Is documented just fine, you just have to read the owners guide!

Originally Posted by 2013 F150 owners guide p. 210
The Tow/Haul feature improves transmission operation when towing a
trailer or a heavy load. All transmission gear ranges are available when
using Tow/Haul.

Tow/haul delays upshifts to reduce frequency of transmission shifting.
Tow/haul also provides engine braking in all forward gears when the
transmission is in the D (Drive) position; this engine braking will slow
the vehicle and assist the driver in controlling the vehicle when
descending a grade. Depending on driving conditions and load
conditions, the transmission may downshift, slow the vehicle and control
the vehicle speed when descending a hill, without the accelerator pedal
being pressed. The amount of downshift braking provided will vary based
upon the amount the brake pedal is pressed.
To deactivate the tow/haul feature and return to normal driving mode,
press the button on the end of the gearshift lever. The TOW HAUL light
will no longer be illuminated. Tow/haul will also deactivate when the
vehicle is powered down
Nowhere does it state that this is required for warranty coverage when towing a trailer. Furthermore if it was to compensate for inherent weaknesses in the transmission manual mode wouldn't be permitted while towing a trailer.

And QwkTrip, I've never heard of a transmission that is incapable of handling the full power of the engine in overdrive. Not saying you're wrong or anything, but do you have a source or example?

Quick Reply: Do you put truck in Tow when hauling with EB??