6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

gearbox z dpf-r+ experiences???

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:29 AM
birddawg1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gearbox z dpf-r+ experiences???

Hi. I've been lurking this site and others like it since I bought my '08 f250 new in fall of '07, but this is my first post!?!?. I was waiting for warranty to expire then was going to pull the trigger on a minimaxx..... well two things have happened since..... 1) no more race tuner as you all know and 2) money has become an issue. I don't really want/need all the extra horsepower, but am looking for a more economical was to increase the longevity of my truck.

So..... Does anyone have any real experience with the dpf-r+ from gearbox z? Is it safe? Last thing I want to do is blow head gaskets and the like. Is it reliable and easy to install/uninstall? How is the companies service?

I don't really care about how much better Spartan/H&S are, as that is not an option for me right now. I would just like to know about the dpf-r+.

Thank you, and fyi.... I have learned a lot from you all over the years!

Old 06-11-2013, 06:49 PM
birddawg1
New User
Anybody with knowledge on these?? I posted the same question on another forum that I frequent, and got a couple responses, but not here..... although I know a lot of you are on both forums as well.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:04 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Do a search on here. I have investigated it myself, but about to buy an extended warranty I think, so i put it off until I decide. I know one member had a problem, not much of one if I remember correctly. I've heard that the biggest complaint is being able to hear and follow the directions.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:18 AM
birddawg1
New User
Thanks. I will do a search.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Bsparks
New User
Originally Posted by birddawg1
Thanks. I will do a search.
I have commented on this topic a few weeks ok. Search "transmission searching for gear with DPFR+4.0". Overall I like the product but it is causing my transmission to not shift right. Well, at least I believe it's the programmer, could be the tcm I guess. I'm just running the dpf delete only option now until I have time to figure out what is going on.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:10 PM
birddawg1
New User
I found your thread when I did my search..... thanks. I hope you get it figured out.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:10 PM
Delta2142
Senior User
Originally Posted by birddawg1
I found your thread when I did my search..... thanks. I hope you get it figured out.
I installed gearbox z, but I had to unplug my tuner with flash. It will conflict with the gearbox if you don't. I've had zero problem with the gearbox I did install the Edge attitude with juice with no problems. The Juice plugs into the main ecim The tranny problems with any tuner is usually the owner. Mistreat your ruck and crank the tuner up to 4 and run hard, Your asking for it. I keep my tuner on stage 1 unless I'm towing it goes to stage 2. +25 hp and no Overdrive. Hope the helps

Goodluck

Old 06-13-2013, 12:27 PM
BROWN DOG KTM
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts
If u ONLY run the gearbox Z by itself & NOT stack (use) it with another performance tuner and/or monitor - you will be fine & like the gearbox z tuner

They make one with a small performance boost which has a "+ " in part #

The other that retains ALL STOCK programming & ONLY deletes the re-gens has a "-" in the part #

Old 06-13-2013, 08:21 PM
Delta2142
Senior User
Originally Posted by BROWN DOG KTM
If u ONLY run the gearbox Z by itself & NOT stack (use) it with another performance tuner and/or monitor - you will be fine & like the gearbox z tuner

They make one with a small performance boost which has a "+ " in part #

The other that retains ALL STOCK programming & ONLY deletes the re-gens has a "-" in the part #
I have the one that only deletes the DPF and EGR. Worked great from day !

Old 06-13-2013, 10:05 PM
BROWN DOG KTM
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Delta2142
I have the one that only deletes the DPF and EGR. Worked great from day !
+1
Same here

I love mine

Old 06-14-2013, 11:47 AM
birddawg1
New User
Thanks for the info. So, are you guys running with egr block off plates? What are the pros and cons of plates? Thanks again.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:09 PM
BROWN DOG KTM
Fleet Mechanic
I completely removed both EGR Coolers & the rear exgaust pipe that feeds them then plugged the coolant ports.

Less Heat & Less Clutter under the hood, plus no chance of dumping soot or coolant down my engines throat

I also removed the stock Intake Elbow that houses the EGR valve & replaced it with an aftermarket Aluminum Elbow.

I did have to wire in some Diodes to keep the chk eng light out :

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...installed.html

Old 06-26-2013, 11:22 PM
birddawg1
New User
Well, guess I'm a big chicken..... I decided against it for now. Thanks for the replies! Would love to continue to hear of your experiences though.... in case I ever change my mind!

Old 07-30-2013, 05:08 PM
mikemass
Freshman User
Would love to hear some follow ups to this topic as I am considering going with the gearbox z. Want to do the EGR Delete as well. Sorry to hijack but seemed fitting to post in this thread. BrownDog. Can you go into more detail about completely removing the coolers and rear exhaust pipe? Is that the same as the "up pipe"? It sounds like you did a lot more than just install the blocking plates.
Mike.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:49 PM
dman255
Information Junkie
Originally Posted by mikemass
Would love to hear some follow ups to this topic as I am considering going with the gearbox z. Want to do the EGR Delete as well. Sorry to hijack but seemed fitting to post in this thread. BrownDog. Can you go into more detail about completely removing the coolers and rear exhaust pipe? Is that the same as the "up pipe"? It sounds like you did a lot more than just install the blocking plates.
Mike.
If your interested I have a Gearbox z dpf-r 4.0 i'd like to get rid of. I used it with my banks six gun tuner and IQ. It worked great. Used the dpf-r 4.0 for the dpf delete and the banks stuff for the tuning. It worked great for me this way.The banks six gun and IQ is available as well. If interested let me know thanks

Quick Reply: gearbox z dpf-r+ experiences???