1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-24-2014, 03:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

Do you wax your truck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Midnite1987
Cargo Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you wax your truck?

I think I'd like to waxy truck. What are you guys using?
There's alot of truck to wax so hoping to find something that won't take hours.

What have you guys tried? Good results , bad results.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:14 PM
I.B. Washincars
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
In an answer to your question, no I don't wax my truck. Since the advent of clearcoat, paint doesn't seem to fade. I bought my truck new in 2008. It now has 114K miles on it, has never been inside a day in it's life, and has never had a coat of wax. It looks pretty much like it did when I drove it home from the dealership and I get complements on it frequently. The only wax it gets is what is sprayed on by my car washes.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:21 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The only truck that gets waxed here is my wifeʻs Explorer.

I have been using the waterless carwash spray as a "wax".

Amazon.com: Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax Anywhere Spray: Automotive Amazon.com: Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax Anywhere Spray: Automotive

It contains a hydrophobic ingredient that helps keep water from beading

and makes bug removal easy. My wife drove her truck the other day in a heavy rainstorm, today

when I went to clean the exterior, there was no sign of the truck being driven while it was raining.

I had planned to actually wash the truck with soap and water, but all I did was go over the truck

with the waterless carwash spray. I kid you not, all I did was use this product.

It helps by using it frequently.

I takes about 15 minutes to go over the Explorer and the product leaves an "always wet" look.

It works well on plastic and chrome, but for glass is use Stonerʻs Invisible Glass.

Beading water is the clearcoat killer and since I started using this frequently, there have been

no signs of beading water - where I am located it can be raining one minute and VERY sunny the

next - this stuff makes life much easier as far as paint protection goes.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:33 PM
petrokiller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 240 Likes on 163 Posts
NU FINISH is what my vehicle's get. Research it, easy to put on and take off.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:42 PM
MC5C
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I mostly use a detailer spray, like Meguire's. I spray wash the truck, drive home and use the spray with a microfibre cloth to polish off the water marks. Leaves beads like wax when it rains...

Brian

Old 06-01-2013, 08:51 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
I wax our trucks once or twice a year. I usually clay bar them once a year also. I like Meguire's products, use the Gold Class wax and also use their Mist & Shine for quick touch ups in between.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:57 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,372 Likes on 1,717 Posts
I wax mine twice per year with a Turtle Wax paste. The stuff I use is good because if you get it on the black plastic, it won't turn it white. I also use a liquid Turtle Wax to apply to all the black plastic in order to prevent the plastic from fading. I have a friend who has been doing this for 4 years and the black plastic on his truck doesn't show any signs of fading.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:59 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YES I wax my truck and my parents vehicles. I think it is very important to keep your vehicles waxed, in my opinion at least. Personally if I had the time, I would wash my truck and my parents vehicles weekly and wax monthly, but I don't have time for that and its really not necessary, just kind of a, for-good-measure thing. But I would wash it monthly and wax it at least 2-3 times a year, but you could do it as often as you like.

I use mostly Mothers products with great results also use some Meguiars products as well. I just found Mothers first so that what I use, but both are pretty much the same quality. I use Mothers wash and wax to wash, not a wax substitute, but still offers a little bit of wax protection and leaves the paint looking great. Then I use Mothers Ultimate wax system with their liquid carnauba wax, its a three step system: polish, glaze, and wax. It works well, but definitely takes some time. In place of this you could use their cleaner or synthetic wax and get not quite as good, but with similar results. Meguiars has similar products that should work just as well. The cleaner or synthetic wax will definitely work faster though. Hope this helps.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:34 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the last time I waxed a vehicle of ANY kind was decades ago

Hell all three of my excursions I never washed even...

Car washes and detailing places KNOW what they are doing and are too cheap -
I spend my efforts on things I WANT to do or things I can make income on

Old 06-02-2013, 03:10 AM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
I polished the Beast just last week. Need to get a coat of wax on it now.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I wax as well, like many mentioned it makes cleanings afterwards much easier.

I use either zymol or meguiars NXT.

A good claybaring and buffing first will really help things waxing go easier and faster as well as later washing.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:19 AM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I wax as well, like many mentioned it makes cleanings afterwards much easier.

I use either zymol or meguiars NXT.

A good claybaring and buffing first will really help things waxing go easier and faster as well as later washing.
Yup that about sums it up right there. And yeah clay barring and if you want polishing, before you wax will definitely help, and make things go faster and look better in the end.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
I not only wax my truck (as well as my other cars) but I ENJOY it! It costs next to nothing, is relaxing and pays off big time over the life of the vehicle. I use Meguiars carnuba every couple months or so and the truck is easier to clean because nothing sticks to it.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:38 AM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I wax my truck as well, with meguiars NXT. I like the shine, but its nowhere near enjoyable with oxford white instead of my old true blue truck

Old 06-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by acf6
I wax my truck as well, with meguiars NXT. I like the shine, but its nowhere near enjoyable with oxford white instead of my old true blue truck

I agree, perfectly clean white isn't as rewarding or pleasing as any other color.

After 3 days of cleaning my X while it was nice and clean and standing right next to it you could tell it was no where near as nice looking as my old truck all cleaned up.

Both after claybar and wax:

Quick Reply: Do you wax your truck?