adding transmission coolers in series

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 11:18 PM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OnDaRoad
I found this:

" 4-When hooking up multiple coolers several things should be noted. The cooler itself is a restriction of flow and this restriction while not a problem for the cooling or lube to the trans can cause excessive pressure inside the converter. This can force the converter against the flex plate more so than normal and cause wear to the engine thrust bearing. A stopped up or severely restricted cooler or cooler lines can do the same. So when installing more than one cooler its advised to put them in parallel with each other, This means one line from the trans is split with a Y and one line run to each cooler then out of each and into a Y back to a single line running to the trans. This will assure adequate cooling while reducing the wear to the engine thrust bearing. Always use line that's at least as large as the inlets in the cooler, Avoid extreme twist or turns in them particularly with rubber lines. "

It is an excerpt from a good page here:

@ Tips, Hints, for Transmission Cooler Installations
Hope it helps ...
Great info there!

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
By the 6.0L truck transmission engineering took over responsibility for their own coolers. Now the trucks actually had enough cooling to keep the trans cool.
Thanks for the responses Mark. Always a pleasant read.
Do you have any comments of the article I quoted above?

Seems reasonable. Or would you recommend running one single larger cooler? It seems a larger cooler would add some restriction, but not nearly as much as two small coolers put in line where the fluid has to CRAM between the small connecting lines.

I am just concerned because when I bought my truck 3 years ago the PO already had two smaller coolers run inline. I left it that way thinking two coolers were better. Not thinking of the restriction.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:52 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts
Is the inlet/outlet of the two coolers the same diameter or larger or smaller than the original line? Chances are they are larger so to me it may add a little extra resistance but not much. If the cooler tubes are larger diameter then the fluid shouldn't have to move as fast thru it so less friction and pressure.

Mark said economy drove cooler sizing, so perhaps the pump really is sized to handle a much larger cooler. The 6.0 one is huge in comparison and people use those.

Maybe I'll look for a v10 one, I guess those are pretty good size also

Old 06-04-2013, 10:06 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I ran two coolers in series for several years without a problem. One was a true-cool and the other a hayden. In my new dually I put a 6.0 31 row cooler in but it was a real squeeze.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wildstang
Mark said economy drove cooler sizing, so perhaps the pump really is sized to handle a much larger cooler. The 6.0 one is huge in comparison and people use those.
The pump was not sized for a larger cooler. On the other hand, it wasn't sized for a smaller cooler, either. I don't know how (or why) one would size a transmission pump for a cooler. The pump is sized to handle the transmission. Pump flow is not affected by cooler size.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:41 PM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

That's good to know. Just need not create restrictions.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:28 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky

I find it interesting how this came about. Ford had a department that was responsible for all powertrain cooling. This included engine, transmission, and axle. They reported through the vehicle engineering organization, so they did not answer to transmission or axle engineering. They were evaluated by how much money they saved the company in purchasing hardware. This drove them to put the cheapest coolers they could get away with for transmission coolers.

By the 6.0L truck transmission engineering took over responsibility for their own coolers. Now the trucks actually had enough cooling to keep the trans cool.
The things companies will do to save a buck. Makes no sense to me why you guys the trans engineers didn't size the cooler for your own piece of equipment.

-When hooking up multiple coolers several things should be noted. The cooler itself is a restriction of flow and this restriction while not a problem for the cooling or lube to the trans can cause excessive pressure inside the converter. This can force the converter against the flex plate more so than normal and cause wear to the engine thrust bearing.
If I'm reading that correctly they're telling you that a METAL converter is swelling from excess pressure and pushing on the flex plate harder.......if that was true then it would also push against the trans pump harder and wear it out faster too......WOW...

First time I have ever heard that a trans cooler can wear out your thrust bearings.

Diesel Rod

Old 06-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by 444dieselrod
If I'm reading that correctly they're telling you that a METAL converter is swelling from excess pressure and pushing on the flex plate harder.......if that was true then it would also push against the trans pump harder and wear it out faster too......WOW...
The only reason that an automatic has a flex plate instead of a flywheel is that the torque converter WILL swell. If there was a solid flywheel it would wear out the engine's thrust bearing in a short time. The flex plate exists to allow for converter swell.

If the cooler circuit is restricted the converter pressure will not be affected very much. There is a regulator valve in the valve body that limits converter pressure to 120 PSI. So if there is a restriction this valve will keep the converter at safe pressures. So no, the cooler can't cause the converter to swell. But it will swell under normal operation.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:35 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Mark, is there like a standard pressure in the cooler line or does it very by transmission type or what the transmission is doing at any particular time? I was thinking of maybe adding pressure gauge before and after the cooler(s) but if its always variable I don't see a benefit to it.

Thank you. And good info also.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

It is variable. It depends on what the trans is doing at the time. It can even drop to zero for a short time in extreme conditions. Pressure gauges are not going to do you much good.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Awitte58
Thanks for the responses Mark. Always a pleasant read.
Do you have any comments of the article I quoted above?
The tips on where to mount the cooler are good. Pretty much EVERYTHING else is flat out wrong. The worst part of all is where he recommends bypassing the radiator cooler. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:31 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When I do mine, I was planning on using the radiator cooler then something off the shelf, maybe a Tru-cool.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:02 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
When I do mine, I was planning on using the radiator cooler then something off the shelf, maybe a Tru-cool.
That's how mine is, and I've never had it over 205.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:06 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
That's how mine is, and I've never had it over 205.
Good deal. Mine won't be towing like yours. Probably mostly spend some time staging against the convertor... LOL

Old 06-20-2013, 08:56 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

little update. I found a 04 6.0L being parted out so I got the trans cooler and engine fan for $175 shipped. Not a bad deal. Now to hook it up.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

The engine fan on a 6.0L is computer controlled.

Quick Reply: adding transmission coolers in series