1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Steering Box Hits SBC When Attempting To Remove

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 07:11 PM
hutchie
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Box Hits SBC When Attempting To Remove

Ok I'm trying to replace my steering box due to 1/3 turn of play. I have a Chevy 327 in it. I've removed the headers but I still can't get the damn thing out. The spline that goes through the frame still needs another 1" or so before it's free. The steering box is hitting the canister oil filter frame and maybe the engine block. My next step would be to unbolt the engine jack it up and try to move it over an inch.

Will the engine move an inch if I just unbolt the motor mounts? Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks Bob

Old 06-02-2013, 08:11 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
Try removing the oil filter.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:31 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have an engine crane you can lift it off of the mounts enough to get the steering out. I wouldn't try to move it over an inch if you don't have the engine supported with a winch or a crane from above, it would be too easy to push it off of the jack. Is the transmission still in it and connected? You might have to unbolt it off of the crossmember and pull out the dipstick/fill tube if it is an automatic.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:58 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should have left a Ford in it

Old 06-02-2013, 11:13 PM
hutchie
Junior User
Yeah I was going to try removing the filter first.

Yes the trans is still hooked up.

And the previous owner put in the 327 not me

Old 06-02-2013, 11:41 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Are you trying to lift the box above the frame? The box and column should come out thru the cab after removing the steering wheel and seat.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:44 AM
hutchie
Junior User
At this point I'm just trying to free the box spline from the frame. I have my truck jacked up high enough that I can take it out from underneath.

I'll try the simple thing and remove the oil filter. If not guess I have to rent a cherrie picker.

Thanks guys.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:24 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
FWIW, I just installed the steering box through the cab, into the frame of my F4 with the SBC in place, oil filter removed. The crankshaft is within 1/2" of the height of the original engine shaft.

If you must raise the engine, try jacking from below.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:45 PM
hutchie
Junior User
Thanks mucho. I'll try that and if I have to lift the engine a little I'll jack from below (carefully.)

Old 06-15-2013, 05:05 PM
hutchie
Junior User
Ok took off oil filter, still no go. Jacked up the motor over an inch and it still wasn't nearly enough and now it's not aligned on the mounts. Next step in this never ending saga is to go rent a cherry picker and lift the motor at least 2" after I loosen the transmission mount.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:00 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm surprised you are having so much trouble. I have a CSB 400 and had no problem getting the column and box out when I put in the Toyota box. Didn't have to touch the motor, header or filter. I removed the wheel and the floor plate and took it out thru the cab.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:27 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I just wanted to give you some encouragement. You will get it out ,that's for sure. It's to bad I've moved, (I went to Oceana in Sharp Park) Id swing by and try to help. Good luck with it.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:21 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think what you're saying is the shaft that goes through the frame and connects to the stock pitman arm. Maybe it's the way the sbc was mounted? I have a sbf. By the way, this hobby is a never ending saga. Welcome to the nut house.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:08 PM
hutchie
Junior User
Thanks for the encouragement Jim. Yeah I'm right in Sharp Park. Do you know Jerry S. he just moved up to Paradise from SP?

Yeah Zoot the shaft that goes through the frame wont come out the motor is definitely in the way.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:46 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Heah guys Im just thinking out loud here but, if he was to back off the pitman arm nut and remove the pitman arm, and then open the other side of the box, could he turn the steering wheel to just turn the worm gear to rotate the sector shaft out towards the block? Once he clears the sector shaft bushing, it may give him that extra inch. Sorry, I lost all those exploded views when my computer crashed, and I cant seem to scan with windows 8 (surprise). hutchie, please don't try this unless some other folks think it may work, I may be way off. PS I haven't met Jerry yet.

Quick Reply: Steering Box Hits SBC When Attempting To Remove