Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
38 Gallon Rear Tank and E-fuel

Hey all,

Started on a rather lengthy endeavor.
I am putting the 38 gal rear bronco tank in place of the OEM and deleting the midship tank. This way I am only losing 2 gallons of total capacity (I read the Reg Cabs had the 22 gal front).
I will then delete the fuel selector and switch and have one tank with e-fuel.

I decided to go ahead and do a bunch of other misc things while the trucks gunna be down.

This is the link to the album where ill continue to upload pictures as I go.
38 Gallon Tank E-fuel Bed Removal Photos by awitte58 | Photobucket

Got the bed removed with some buddies Friday night.

Did some donuts n stuff around the neighborhood. Was really funny getting looks, but I enjoyed watching the suspension and stuff work.

That stupid gooseneck plate is gunna go. The PO musta been tight for cash cuz it is some angle iron, square stock, flat plate all welded together and bolted to the frame. Ill have to get a shot of the bed..its pretty cut up janky.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Awitte58
Postmaster
After we got the bed successfully off we decided to celebrate with a bonfire n shenanigans
Didnt get to bed till sun came up. So needless to say not much got done Saturday. I did go get some parts/tools purchased etc.

Started removing rear tank today.. I need to get those fuel disconnect tools correct?

Also I am having trouble finding replacement straps.
Does anyone have a PN? I dont really wanna use that flexible strapping but I may...

More to come.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:23 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Subscribing....no idea what the PN is on the straps.

Diesel Rod

Old 06-02-2013, 10:34 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
I plan on doing this mod next winter so I'll stay tuned Alex!

Old 06-02-2013, 11:09 PM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
So do you have to delete your front fuel tank to do this mod?

Old 06-02-2013, 11:24 PM
nomad221
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alex, I think this one will work. I used it to disconnect my A/C line to replace the orifice when I rebuilt the A/C system in my rig.

The tool worked great, no hassle and it's cheap.

Lisle 37000 - Disconnect Tool | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Old 06-03-2013, 12:13 AM
Canadian7.3
Junior User
how you manage removing the bed without dropping either of the tanks? some of the bolts used to mount the bed are in some tough spots

Old 06-03-2013, 02:06 AM
Junior User
The bolts are just forward of the tanks in the middle. I've had mine off several times while installing my airbags.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:13 AM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Looks like a fun project Alex. I wish i would of known about this mod when i had to replace mine. Are you gonna put a sump in the tank or use the stock pick up tube?

Old 06-03-2013, 05:47 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Looking good Alex. I've thought about putting the 38 gal tank in next winter too, but I'm not sure yet.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:15 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Originally Posted by pilgrimbizket
So do you have to delete your front fuel tank to do this mod?
Technically no you dont. You can add the 38 gallon rear tank and keep your midship and have close to 50 gallon capacity if you wish!
The entire motivation to do this mod now started with E-fuel and not having enough frame space between the t-case and front tank (ext cab and crew cabs have plenty of room). And eventually I wanted to add a compressor and air horns...maybe air bags, so i figured it'd be coming out eventually.

Originally Posted by nomad221
Alex, I think this one will work. I used it to disconnect my A/C line to replace the orifice when I rebuilt the A/C system in my rig.
The tool worked great, no hassle and it's cheap.
Lisle 37000 - Disconnect Tool | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Thanks I will have to look into that! I have the oreillys manager hunting for those straps for me. I was gunna ask him about the fuel disconnect tool. Now I have something specific to mention

Originally Posted by Canadian7.3
how you manage removing the bed without dropping either of the tanks? some of the bolts used to mount the bed are in some tough spots
The nuts are on the top inner part of the frame, but can be accessed with tanks in place. Perhaps you have extra things bolted in the bed to the frame for a 5th wheel? no idea.

Originally Posted by stainlessstroker95
Looks like a fun project Alex. I wish i would of known about this mod when i had to replace mine. Are you gonna put a sump in the tank or use the stock pick up tube?
Fun and a PITA so far, but the worst is behind me. I think after I get that stupid plate off thats all the hard rusty stuff to remove.
So far the plan is to use the stock pick up tube and extend it like the infamous JR did. I may sump it, but with all the little things I wanna do we shall see what I have time for.

Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Looking good Alex. I've thought about putting the 38 gal tank in next winter too, but I'm not sure yet.
Just from what I've done so far I would only do it if you have a reason. I hear getting at the fuel lines to remove the tank with the bed ON is tough... but removing the bed isnt exactly a small task either. Less you have a 2 post lift, or a back hoe and straps. lol

Old 06-03-2013, 12:14 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Awitte58
Just from what I've done so far I would only do it if you have a reason. I hear getting at the fuel lines to remove the tank with the bed ON is tough... but removing the bed isnt exactly a small task either. Less you have a 2 post lift, or a back hoe and straps. lol
It's not too bad actually. I've done it a couple times. It would be so much easier to get at it all with the bed off though without a doubt.

You know Alex, I was thinking about the efuel pump/filter placement thing you mentioned the other day. I don't see any reason that both filters couldn't go post pump. There's no pre-pump filter on an SD correct? Something to think about and discuss anyway.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:45 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Ya, if I do that tank the box would be off. I want to take the box off and do some other things someday, when that happens I'll probably do that tank.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:08 PM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Originally Posted by redman84
You know Alex, I was thinking about the efuel pump/filter placement thing you mentioned the other day. I don't see any reason that both pumps couldn't go in front of the pump. There's no pre-pump filter on an SD correct? Something to think about and discuss anyway.
Im assuming you meant filters there. and 'front' I am going to assume you meant "post" pump. AKA the pump comes before both filters. I think the pump can handle unfiltered fuel getting pushed through it.

Also... Nomad that tool was AWESOME for getting them off. Highly recommend to anyone doing this. 10 bucks for like 6 diff sizes and super easy. I threw ya some reps.

Got the tank all disconnected and covered the hoses (makes my mom happy and not worry smelling 'gas' when she walks through the garage). I tried prying it out through the top, but it wouldnt budge. I plan to go at it from the plate underneath...perhaps the bottom straps are rusted on somehow.

I also got to take off the greasy protective coating that comes on Rockauto tanks to protect during shipping. I put 2 coats of Herculiner on the top half and plan to flip it over and do the same on the bottom.
I didnt get a picture with the top half done, but hey.. its a tank. lol

I found out the straps that go over the top of the tank are Ford only. you can find the bottom tank straps EVERYWHERE, but those are Ford only. At least all the sources i tried said that( oreillys, rep from summit racing, auto zone). Didnt get to call a bronco site bill recommended. will do tom.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:59 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like you're making progress! I checked Broncograveyard's site this morning and it looks like they have an upper strap kit, but it is listed for a couple different tank sizes (Not the 38 gallon). I would give them a call and see what they say. I would highly recommend them as well. I ordered some parts from them last week and had them the next day (with standard shipping). They're located in MI so you may see about the same thing.

Also, I think you might want to double check the plumbing instructions for the e-fuel kit. I think most guys plumb the primary filter in BEFORE the pump to filter the gunk out of the fuel before it runs through the pump. I have heard from a couple different sources that this needs to be done or the pump won't last long. You might check with Bill and pick his brain about it. I just don't want to see you burn up a brand new pump.

Keep plugging along on it and you'll be done in no time!

Quick Reply: 38 Gallon Rear Tank and E-fuel