6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Busted Fuel Injector Clamp?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 10:21 PM
ducatiracer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Busted Fuel Injector Clamp?!

So, after sitting for about 4 weeks, I go to start my 2011 F350, 16,000 miles, with a 6.7. Barely runs, "misses", fuel pouring from the underside of the motor, all over the ground. I figure out pretty quickly, #8 fuel injector was blown out of its hole. Clamp is busted. Two days later (this morning), dealer calls and says we have all the parts we need to fix your truck, except the clamp. Guy says no ETA on the clamp from Ford. Truck will just sit, for an indefinite period of time. Sorry. Asked him what they were going to do. He said, wait for the part to show up.

Putting aside the oddity of the clamp breaking, how is it that Ford doesn't have the part and doesn't know when it will? Is this a Ford problem or a lazy dealer? Any suggestions? This really won't do. Its racing season and I need my truck!

regards, Michael

Old 05-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Grout-Scout
Junior User
Dang man hate to hear it but it sounds like its going to be your problem now. Any chance they can give you a loaner? Doubtful but possible.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Kjewer1
Senior User
If it's anything like the semiconductor industry I work in, only the parts expected to break or wear out will be stocked. "Hard parts" that don't move or wear won't be. These motors have been out long enough though that every part on the BOM shouldn't be any more than a few days shipping away. I'd try calling another dealer's parts department and see if you can order the part and how far out it is, just to check on its availability. That might tell you if it's a dealer problem or not.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:17 PM
Fontana
Senior User
Ok the same thing happened to me. I started my truck last week and began to drive up the road. It was still not warmed up so I'm gentle on it. Then I noticed a fuel smell. The low fuel pressure warning comes up on the dash and I pull over. Fuel is just gushing from my truck. Still under warranty Ford roadside service takes it to my dealership and they give me a free rental. Ford Flex. Not bad. Anyway the service manager calls me and says I got good news and bad. The good news is that it was just a clamp that slipped off and they fixed it that day. The bad news is that it was a clamp from the HPFP that failed and he can't explain why. Said that these clamps are tested to 5000 or 50000 psi (can't remember) and if the whole truck came apart that clamp should remain. So this may wind up being an inconvenient but cheap fix. Could see a TSB or recall on the part if this keeps happening.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:44 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,069 Likes on 2,217 Posts
that stinks...hope they track one down soon.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:32 PM
ducatiracer
New User
Update. Yesterday, the dealer had no idea where to get a clamp. This morning, they found one and this afternoon the Service Manager called and said its all fixed. I guess we'll see. An earlier poster or two with the same problem reported a busted cylinder head. Thanks guys. regards, Michael

Old 06-02-2015, 07:21 AM
70amcpwr
Freshman User
I hope you had success, I'm broken down for the 3rd time, this time in Troy NY towing a 5th wheel. The AS@HO#L!S at Ford will only do ONE clamp at a time!

Old 07-20-2015, 04:19 PM
Navyguy
New User
This happened to me May 18, this year. My truck was running fine when I parked it, then the next day it was running rough when I started it. I thought it would smooth out, so I headed down my driveway. (500 feet) Turned onto the road and it really lost power. There was what I thought was white smoke coming out from under the hood, (I didn't realize it was a fuel spray then), so I headed back up the driveway. It stalled once and I restarted it. When I got to where I could get another truck to pass by, I parked it and looked under the hood. Really smelled the diesel fuel when I opened the door. There was fuel spray from an injector that had blown out of the engine. I shut down the truck and had it towed in.

As much as the fuel is atomized in the spray from the injector, this was a SERIOUS safety issue that could have resulted in a fire, or worse.

This is not just a defective part to be replaced after it fails. This is an issue more serious than GM's ignition switch problem.

Although the dealer had to remove ALL of these clamps to replace damaged parts, they would only replace the one clamp that failed, then reinstalled the other seven defective clamps back into the engine.

I have spoke with the dealer, and to Ford Customer Relations office twice. Always the same response. "There is nothing Ford intends to do to replace the remaining clamps". This really is like playing roulette regarding when the next clamp will fail. And Ford is OK with that. Where is the concern for customer safety, the desire to build a reliable truck? With the attitude I encountered with Ford, I really don't think they care if someone is injured or worse, as a result of these defective parts.

I have reported this to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. They told me I was the only one to report this problem to them. If you want Ford to actually fix this issue, and not just replace the clamps one at a time as they break, then everyone needs to report it. Ford has already identified these parts as defective, and have started using a new part with a new part number.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:42 PM
70amcpwr
Freshman User
They inspected the rest of the clamps (flashlight method) and all were fine. I made enough stink this time, called my dealer, they called the regional rep. and they concurred to replace all of the clamps. #8 injector clamp was cracked all the way through on the bottom @ the retainer bolt hole and wouldn't have made the remainder of the trip home up Rte 7 and Bromley Mt in VT. Not that Ford cares, but if my wife has anything to say about it our next diesel won't be a Ford.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:04 AM
BrodyUSMC
Junior User
Originally Posted by 70amcpwr
They inspected the rest of the clamps (flashlight method) and all were fine. I made enough stink this time, called my dealer, they called the regional rep. and they concurred to replace all of the clamps. #8 injector clamp was cracked all the way through on the bottom @ the retainer bolt hole and wouldn't have made the remainder of the trip home up Rte 7 and Bromley Mt in VT. Not that Ford cares, but if my wife has anything to say about it our next diesel won't be a Ford.

what year is your truck?

Old 07-21-2015, 05:21 AM
70amcpwr
Freshman User
2012, MFG 11/11. TSB 12-3-4 gives a clear cut off date of (I believe) 12/12/11 for defective clamps. One failure on any motor and they all should be done, PERIOD!

Old 07-21-2015, 05:34 AM
70amcpwr
Freshman User
Here's my Three posts on another Forum in regards to my situation.

1) Just lost another injector/clamp on my 11/11 buildate 6.7. TSB was done @ 23k miles when #5 blew on the original owner, now one on the passenger side let go @ 33k miles leaving us stranded on a busy (truck traffic) road, against a guard rail with the left rear dually fender in the travel lane. Put the 4 ways on and walked away (no cell service). Got a ride to the dealer and they'll pick it up. I wonder if it'll still have a left rear fender? Obviously Ford hasn't a clue!

2) Thanks. It should be @ the shop now. They said "hopefully" they'll look @ it today to order parts and get to it next week. The irony, we own a campground and live @ it for 6 months (May 1-Oct 30), my 6.4 had huge issues last April which made me finally get rid of it as it was in the shop for 3 weeks and was effecting us moving all of my equipment to the campground. I purchased this 6.7 to replace it and move the excavator, bulldozer, tractor, etc... . All's been well until yesterday. Next week we are (were?) supposed to move back home! Trust me, camping is fun, but after 6 months you're ready for full size accommodations . It looks to me on the previous repair order the dealer didn't choose the "action" of inspecting and replacing all of the retaining clamps. BTW, I edited the original post, assembly date was 11/11, falling in TSB 12-3-4, not 11/12 as originally posted.

3) I had forgot about this post.

I requested all clamps to be changed upon the last failure as it was the second occurrence and I tow all the time. Of course Ford refused. I said well based on how it's going you'll be hearing from me again.

On our second trip home from Florida since the "1 clamp" replacement towing our 5th wheel I started to get (new Ford terminology I'm coining) "The skip of death" just before the toll booth off of I88 and I90 just outside of Albany NY. The motor gets an obvious miss under load before the failure.

I nursed it all the way to my exit off I87 for Troy and proceeded up Rte 7 East with the Walmart parking lot as a destination. Keeping RPM's up going up the steep grade and (keeping load down) planning the lights right upon approach so I didn't have to stop I thought I'd make it. The last light I had to stop, upon take off the load caused #6 injector clamp to let go which in turn sends the injector out of the motor breaking the return fuel line.

You have about 10 seconds to get off the road and shut down with fuel pouring out before the engine shuts down, if this happens it won't restart (past experience). I checked the mirrors and pulled a hard right into a small plaza and shut it down. If you do so quick enough it will let you restart and run for short times. Which I did to reposition and unhook so the tow truck could get first the truck then the 5th wheel.

This could go on and on. The short of it. Roadside assistance sucked. 6 hours later the truck was 7 miles away @ Latham Ford (they were great) and the 5th @ Walmart thanks to The Ford dealer finding us a tow for the 5th wheel as both AAA RV assistance and Roadside said we're on our own.

Fords procedure is "replace only failed and inspect the rest". Only one failed, the rest "looked fine" with the flashlight peering down in the jammed engine bay.

This time with enough conviction from myself, calling my dealer @ home which in turn called the Regional service Rep, and a willing Dealer they replaced all eight. Unable to be seen upon "inspection" #8 was broken on the bottom @ the mounting hole and would more than likely have failed on the hike up Bromley Mt. (with no safe place to stop) in Vt.

The TSB (12-3-4 I think) clearly gives a specific, to the day, cut off date for this issue. Any motor with ONE clamp failure should get them all replaced, PERIOD!

Old 07-21-2015, 04:53 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Wow 70, I'm worn out just after reading this. What an ordeal.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:19 PM
70amcpwr
Freshman User
Originally Posted by kper05
Wow 70, I'm worn out just after reading this. What an ordeal.

And that was the condensed and censored version!

Old 07-21-2015, 09:27 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is depressing...

Quick Reply: Busted Fuel Injector Clamp?!