Sponsored by: Moser

2012 Ecoboost 4X4 S-Crew Max Tow

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 06:53 PM
saleen322
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Ecoboost 4X4 S-Crew Max Tow

I think it is an unfortunate internet byproduct that we post more often when there is a negative issue or we want to change something. I thought it may help someone searching for information as to how a box-stock Ecoboost works in the real world.

I bought my 2012 F150 4X4 Screw new in March of 2012 and it replaced a 2009 6.4 diesel F250. It is a Lariat with the max tow package that includes the 3.73 gears. The ride quality is head and shoulders above the F250 and to my surprise, it is actually more user friendly to tow with than the F250 was. It has the electric locking rear which is great in situations like backing the camper into a wet grassy area that you don’t want to tear up. I live in PA where nothing is flat so you are always going up and down hill. When not towing it gets an average of around 18 MPG in these areas compared to my old 6.4 that got 11 in the same area with the 3.55 gears it had. On the highway, getting 20 or even better is not uncommon. I recently got an opportunity to get a non-running 85 Merkur to restore so I used the F150 to haul it home. Again, it just reinforced the joy the Ecoboost is to tow with. I think the most I ever had on the trailer was around 9500 pounds. The way it climbed hills with that weight on it made me forget the diesel. The built in digital electric brake controller made it a breeze to quickly get the brakes set with the weight so the trailer stopped smoothly with no wheels sliding.

I only use good oil with my recent favorite being Castrol edge. As I started this out with, my truck is all stock and I only use it within Ford’s specifications and it is absolutely drama free. Hope this helps someone out shopping for a truck.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:14 AM
meborder
Received 367 Likes on 262 Posts
nice report.

there have been quite a few people asking for real world experiences for towing with the new f150, particularly with the max tow option. Many times it ends up with the group directing them to look for a max-payload as well. the max payload is very hard to find on the lot, and i'm wondering if that doesn't turn them off from buying a half-ton.

nice to hear that the max-tow is sufficient for most, and that the max-payload is not "needed", even if it "would be nice" or adds a margin of safety. the max-tow should be able to get it done, IMO, and it appears that it can in the real world as well.

thanks for the report!

Old 05-21-2013, 06:13 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,231 Likes on 808 Posts
Thanks for the report.

I can't for the life of me believe that if the ecoboost issue was really as wide spread as the lame stream media would have us believe, that Ford would continue to sell the ecoboost of all ilks as fast as they can build them. In fact, Ford has increased production of an N/A four cylinder because they can't meet ecoboost demands in the Fusion.

IMHO, a boosted V-8 will make it's way into the Superduty line up. When it does it'll be game on for the larger truck buying segment.

The 3.5L is surprising people all over the place with it's quiet smooth power and better than large V-8 MPG's.

No matter the price tag, I would buy another ecoboost, that's how pleased I am with mine. My truck is the 7200 lb package and I've has over 2 yards of topsoil / compost in the bed. The truck doesn't wallow and the engine didn't even know it was loaded. Hands down better than my '88.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:34 AM
ri_truck_guy
Posting Guru
Thanks for your great input. I'm also very happy to say that your experience matches mine to a tee. The single issue I had was one brief instance of a condensation stumble, and the local dealer took care of that with a new intercooler with not a hint of question. I tow heavy loads with it regularly and couldn't be happier with the performance. It's very stable when set up properly, and for far less money than a Super-Duty I've added some upgrades that make a 10,000 lb trailer almost un-noticeable (the rear anti-sway bar may be the best money I've ever spent on a vehicle). My towing mileage isn't great, but if that were my primary concern I wouldn't be pulling a heavy toy-hauler. I can't recommend this truck highly enough.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:30 AM
saleen322
Cross-Country
I hear what you are saying about uses. I wasn't too concerned with haul weight as, out of habit, I use one of two trailers I have when I haul anything of size; one is an 8-footer with around 1100 lb net and a 19 footer that I can legally put 7000 lbs in that I have bent the rules on it a couple of times. Add to that a boat and a camper. This kind of goes back to the days when I had SUVs as my "truck." These were the reasons why I wanted all of the accessories that make towing easier. Again, so far, I could not be happier but I do try to always take care of my equipment.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Great report saleen322, your experience is very similar to mine. I've had two diesel Super Duties in the past as well as a V10-powered Excursion that I'm currently selling. While the heavier running gear has an advantage, the tight IFS and rack and pinion steering makes this truck a real joy to tow with.

I don't miss my diesel either. If I towed heavy every day it would make more sense, but as it is I get slightly better fuel economy and plenty of power for what I tow!

Old 05-21-2013, 09:45 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
That little Eco sure can pull, that's for sure. I agree that Max Tow is not a must, but a good idea for towing on the upper weight end of the tow rating, I had to order mine. To be honest, it tows just about the same as my last 2010 with the standard tow package. An F-150 will not out do a SuperDuty, however for the real heavy stuff.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Krump's brother
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Similar story here, except my max tow is an extended cab. I traded in a really nice 6.0 to get it, and while it isn't a diesel, it's really better suited for my needs. I get 18.9 religiously, have gotten as high as 22 depending on what I'm doing. Towing my bass boat or two place snowmobile trailer I get closer to 13.

I waited for a week to take delivery on my truck so that I could get the max tow, but I don't want a truck without those mirrors.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:03 AM
saleen322
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Krump's brother
......I waited for a week to take delivery on my truck so that I could get the max tow, but I don't want a truck without those mirrors.
I hope you heard me laughing when I read your post. I am really glad someone else liked the mirrors. That was one of the main reasons I bought the package. My F250 had the power sliding mirrors and it was so much nicer to tow with after using my old Mountaineer with its add on mirrors. That was the only thing I did not like about the first F150 I test drove as it had smaller mirrors.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:07 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by saleen322
I hope you heard me laughing when I read your post. I am really glad someone else liked the mirrors. That was one of the main reasons I bought the package. My F250 had the power sliding mirrors and it was so much nicer to tow with after using my old Mountaineer with its add on mirrors. That was the only thing I did not like about the first F150 I test drove as it had smaller mirrors.
+1.

WHY don't they put those mirrors on more F150s? I just don't get it...there are very few who would tow something heavier than 5,000 lbs who wouldn't benefit hugely from the tow mirrors. I was insistent on a truck with the max tow package for the brake controller, upgraded hitch, and those mirrors.

No doubt they are costing us every day with slightly worse fuel economy, but for those of us who tow they are worth it without a doubt.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:45 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,231 Likes on 808 Posts
The power fold mirrors are better than the previous non power fold towing mirrors. Why Ford waited to integrate them on the F-150 when the SD's had them for years boggles my mind. Not the exact same mirror but the exact same purpose.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Krump's brother
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by saleen322
To me they were a deal breaker, if I can't see behind my clamshell trailer, I'm a hazard. Mine aren't power, but I'm ok with that. If my ford dealer couldn't have gotten me a truck with those mirrors, I'd be driving a Titan that did. I can't believe I don't see them more.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:28 AM
efx4
Laughing Gas
I actually bought OEM Ford tow mirrors for my last F-150. The new power fold one's on the new F-150's are actually SuperDuty mirrors. I didn't realize that until my buddy with a new SuperDuty noticed it, and they are exactly the same.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:38 PM
ri_truck_guy
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Crazy001
No doubt they are costing us every day with slightly worse fuel economy, but for those of us who tow they are worth it without a doubt.
I posted on that subject a few months and actually took a little grief for it. I did some measurements and found that the tow mirrors equal about 20% of the surface area of the grille/front bumper. Some sites claim 2/3 mpg loss from the mirrors, other people say none at all. If I can find a set I can use, I'd like to swap mine out just run comparisons on the same truck in the same conditions.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by ri_truck_guy
I posted on that subject a few months and actually took a little grief for it. I did some measurements and found that the tow mirrors equal about 20% of the surface area of the grille/front bumper. Some sites claim 2/3 mpg loss from the mirrors, other people say none at all. If I can find a set I can use, I'd like to swap mine out just run comparisons on the same truck in the same conditions.
I think it's unlikely that you'd notice much of a difference, my WAG would be less than 1/2 MPG but I have no empirical evidence to support that. Absolutely ANYTHING to increase wind resistance will cause a fuel economy penalty, but some of it will be too small to measure with anything but a wind tunnel. But even small reductions in efficiency add up over time.

Assuming I average 17.5 MPGs instead of 18, over the course of a years I'll burn an additional 42 gallons. I'm happy with that.

Quick Reply: 2012 Ecoboost 4X4 S-Crew Max Tow