1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifted 2012 F250 Stabilitrac issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 04:20 PM
TrailWhale
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lifted 2012 F250 Stabilitrac issue

Hey guys. I just posted up in the new members thread and had a question maybe someone here can help me with.

I have a 2012 F250 Crew Cab SRW, 6.2L V8 Gas truck, automatic with manual transfercase and manual hubs that has a 6" ProComp lift, 37" Nitto A/T tires on factory wheels. Truck has 1700 miles on it and my issue has been going on ever since the lift was installed.

Here is the issue:
When turning either left or right (mainly right) as in turning onto a side street or into a driveway, I get an odd grinding noise from the front, a slight pulse in the brake pedal, and on rare occasions the Traction Control light will flash. I notice it mainly when going from a "level" surface to an angled surface, as in either up hill or down hill from the street I am turning from. I notice it more when the side street is on a downhill angle compared to the street I am turning from. It only happens on surface roads and freeway driving there is no issue.

I have checked all the wiring for the abs sensors, all bolts are tight and have not moved. There doesn't seem to be any binding in the brake lines or sensor wires. The hubs are fully unlocked and the symptoms are there whether the hubs are in Free or Lock.

I did notice that as I backed the truck off the lift when having the lift installed, I got a "Service StabiliTrac" message for about 2 seconds, it went away and has never come back on.

I have not had it back to the dealership or lift installer to track down the issue. Just too busy with work to spend hours at a shop just to possibly be told they can't find anything. I'd like to go in with some idea of what they need to look for.

I have not yet recalibrated the speedo for the tire size. I am having difficulties finding a programmer to do it. SuperChips will not, BullyDog says they can calibrated for tire sizes up to 35" and will not gear swap changes (something I will be doing in the future), SCT has been no help. HyperTech makes an inline thingy that gets programmed on a laptop and plugs in between the factory harness and instrument panel to make the speedo read correctly. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Would the tire size and speedo reading incorrectly be my issue?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give.

Jason
TrailWhale

Old 05-18-2013, 06:18 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
The dealer can do the recalibration as well...for a fee of course. That is probably your issue.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:37 PM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Even the dealer(s) can't do anything with a 2012. It's "hard-coded," per EPA mandate.

2008-2011 can only change from one factory tire size to another. No aftermarket tire-specific data is in IDS. Again, per EPA.

Even 2007 and lower has issues in IDS, at least for current versions of IDS. (IDS is Ford's dealer software, if you didn't know.)

Engine programmers can usually soft-code the speedometer for engine tuning purposes (i.e. so the transmission shifts right).

However, this does nothing for the speedometer or ABS/Stabilitrack. Those signals are provided by the ABS controller, and only IDS or Autoenginuity can reach the ABS controller. And Autoenginuity will only work with 2007 and earlier.

-blaine

Old 05-18-2013, 08:37 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I vaguely remember someone posting issues with the 6.2's exhaust and the driveshaft hitting at a certain point when lifted. There may be a thread on it in the 6.2 forum. I can't see that causing the issue you're encountering, but something to start with...

Also, no dice on programming larger than the factory tires from what I've seen so far too....

Old 05-18-2013, 09:27 PM
TrailWhale
Junior User
2000silverbullet

Ya, there is a slight contact with the exhaust and the front driveshaft when lifting the gas trucks. I have already had that modification and the condition still exists. I was hoping it was something as simple as that.

My best guess at this point is the larger than factory tires and the ABS not reading the proper speed as it should. I would be willing to try the Hypertech inline conditioner if i thought that it would help. Im sure it will make the speedo read correctly, but dont think it will have any effect on the computer since it gets its speed values from the sensors aT the wheels vs the speedometer. I can live with the speedo being off, its the drivability of the truck im having a problem with. And i definitely do not want to return it back to stock. Way too pleased with how it looks and performs on jobsites as it sits now.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:03 PM
TrailWhale
Junior User
Ok, did some testing today. Drove around on street and turns where the issue occurs. And when I drive with the "Traction Control" and/or the "Advance Trac" turned off there is NO issue at all. No noise, no brake pulse, no flashing lights. So I am back to the conclusion that this is absolutely related to the larger than factory tires and the computer having a fit. Does anyone know how to get the computer programmed? So far the concensus is "not possible" but there has to be a way. Would programming by the dealer to the tallest size possible in their system help or just not be enough of a difference? I do have 37's on it.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:06 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
From what I've read, the dealer can only change the tire sizes up to what Ford offers from the factory.

Might help to dig around the 6.7 forum, lots of non-diesel discussions in there that may have more information available. At a minimum you could probably try and pm a couple of guys with 37's on their trucks to see if they've done anything.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:17 PM
TrailWhale
Junior User
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
From what I've read, the dealer can only change the tire sizes up to what Ford offers from the factory.

Might help to dig around the 6.7 forum, lots of non-diesel discussions in there that may have more information available. At a minimum you could probably try and pm a couple of guys with 37's on their trucks to see if they've done anything.
Thanks for the idea on the 6.7 forum. Hadnt thought of that one. Am currently looking through the "lifted super duty" thread and other pic threads to find someone who has a similar set up as mine. Like I said, I just don't want to waste hours at a dealership just to be told its not something they can fix or deal with.

I see yours has 35's. any issues? was the dealer able to reprogram yours?

Old 05-20-2013, 01:29 PM
BLKSVT
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys mine is an 08 SD 6.4 and I'm running a 10" lift with 41's on 20" rims and my speedo reads right on the money...now I do have a SCT Livewire tuner on it. So I'm not sure if this helps anyone or not but thought I would throw it out.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:39 PM
ccstp
Senior User
2013 6.2 here. It has 1200 miles on the clock and about 600 miles since the lift and tires were installed. Running an icon 4.5" lift and Toyo 37x13.5x20 tires.

I havent installed a programmer or touched the computer/Speedo in any way. Haven't noticed any of the computer and traction control issues you are having. However, I am getting a shift, or pop, or clunk sound in the front end when turning. I have my brother taking it into the shop today to see what the issue is.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:59 PM
TrailWhale
Junior User
Originally Posted by ccstp
2013 6.2 here. It has 1200 miles on the clock and about 600 miles since the lift and tires were installed. Running an icon 4.5" lift and Toyo 37x13.5x20 tires.

I havent installed a programmer or touched the computer/Speedo in any way. Haven't noticed any of the computer and traction control issues you are having. However, I am getting a shift, or pop, or clunk sound in the front end when turning. I have my brother taking it into the shop today to see what the issue is.
Thanks for the info. On your turns, is it from a level,surface to level surface, or are the road grades different? If I'm on level to level road grades then I don't have an issue, usually. It's far more pronounced when changing road grades/angles.

If yours is more like a single pop, I would look at the drag link and pitman arm connection. I've seen issues with that particular ball joint. Just FYI.

Thanks again for the info, let me know what goes on with yours.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:53 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
No programming done on mine, my speedo was so far off with the stock tires that it's now spot on with the 35's (used the same gps units when checking before/after).

Old 05-20-2013, 05:59 PM
TrailWhale
Junior User
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
No programming done on mine, my speedo was so far off with the stock tires that it's now spot on with the 35's (used the same gps units when checking before/after).
LOL. Mine was nearly dead on when factory, but with the 37's when the speedo is reading 55, the GPS shows 61. And it only gets worse the faster I go. 70 on the speedo im actually doing 84.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:19 AM
ccstp
Senior User
Originally Posted by TrailWhale
Thanks for the info. On your turns, is it from a level,surface to level surface, or are the road grades different? If I'm on level to level road grades then I don't have an issue, usually. It's far more pronounced when changing road grades/angles.

If yours is more like a single pop, I would look at the drag link and pitman arm connection. I've seen issues with that particular ball joint. Just FYI.

Thanks again for the info, let me know what goes on with yours.
Thanks for the tip!!!

It would do multiple clunks and pops when Turing slow. Like going through a parking lot, best I can describe it was it would shift and pop when turning as weight was shifting side to side. Not a violent pop, though.

Anyways, I have my truck back and the popping is gone but now, like you, I have a "service advance track" message that pops up..... I guess while it was up on the lift today they either over stretched the wire on the divers side or they just snagged it on something. Either way I easily found the broken wire. Now I just need to figure out why it tore because it didn't tear until it went back to their shop today.

I also noticed that my tires rub only when turning left, but not right. So I need to get that straightened out. Also the drive shaft rubs pretty bad at times om the cats. I think I'm just going to take it down to.SDHQ here in Arizona.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:23 AM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ccstp
I also noticed that my tires rub only when turning left, but not right. So I need to get that straightened out. Also the drive shaft rubs pretty bad at times om the cats. I think I'm just going to take it down to.SDHQ here in Arizona.
If you used the stock track-bar, it's not long enough for the lift, and it moves the axle slightly off-center.

You'll need either an adjustable track-bar, or a longer one designed for that particular lift.

-blaine

Quick Reply: Lifted 2012 F250 Stabilitrac issue