Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Please Rate My Truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 06:50 PM
FlooringGuy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Rate My Truck

Hey guys, I just recently upgraded to an f150 from a ranger and needed some new business graphics. I wanted more than just the name and number on the truck this time but did not want to do a full vinyl wrap with a picture of tile or wood on the truck. I have seen a number of business trucks rolling around town lately with mods done to make them stand out and decided this is the way I wanted to go. I was going for something you don't see everyday but is still visually appealing. I am pretty happy with how the back and sides turned out but the front looked pretty plain when I got done. I like the way the raptors headlights and grill seem to flow together so I used some scrap vinyl to black out part of the ptm grille surround to get the same look. A buddy suggested using some scrap vinyl on the inside slope of the hood also to make it look like a scoop, not sure what I think about it yet and figured you guys would be the toughest critics. I get a lot of double takes or people checking out the truck at the stop lights or in their rear view mirrors and I have never driven anything other than a stock vehicle so I am just wondering if they are saying "Dude, look at that nice truck!" or "Dude, look at this tool!"

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Old 05-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I'd vote that it looks great, but I really have a problem with those tail light covers. I've seen more than a few cars with them over the years, and I think they are unsafe because of how much they dim the brake lights.

Otherwise it looks great, but it only takes one bad rear-ender to make none of it matter anymore.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Wesley901
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Crazy001
I'd vote that it looks great, but I really have a problem with those tail light covers. I've seen more than a few cars with them over the years, and I think they are unsafe because of how much they dim the brake lights.

Otherwise it looks great, but it only takes one bad rear-ender to make none of it matter anymore.
In some states they are illegal to have, understandable why.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:17 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks tastefully done without looking too overdone. A splash of color somewhere wouldn't have hurt with all the black and white, but the truck looks real good. The back end looks unique and pretty cool, but I do agree with the safety aspects of the dark taillight covers.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:53 PM
FlooringGuy
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Crazy001

The taillights are actually pretty bright when on, they're led's with a black housing. Thanks for the kudos, you guys like the hood graphic or should I leave it white?

Old 05-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by FlooringGuy
The taillights are actually pretty bright when on, they're led's with a black housing. Thanks for the kudos, you guys like the hood graphic or should I leave it white?
Now it makes more sense, I would leave the hood graphic.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:02 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Please take this in the spirit in which it is given and with no malicious intent.

i think you are sending potential customers a mixed message. Your truck looks much more like a toy than a rolling advertisement.

If I was looking for someone to do flooring, and saw your truck rolling down the road, i would not call. I get that you were shooting for something that would stand out, yet tastefully done, but it comes across to me as over the top.

as a truck, i like what you have done ... but as a business tool, i think you put your money in the wrong place. Me, as a paying customer, I would refuse to give my hard earned money to a company that would wastefully spend it on tricking out a work truck, particularly when I know how much many of the things you have done cost, and that I cannot or will not afford to do them for myself. It would just rub me the wrong way, and I would find another company to earn my money.

As i said, there is very little about the truck that I do not like, so for that, more Kudos. As an advertisement, i would have gone with something that looks much less like a weekend toy.

i would feel the same way about someone pulling up in a platinum, limited, or raptor. I'm not going to give my money to someone who essentially rubs it in my face, which is how it feels, whether intended or not.

In my mind's eye, if you ditched the headlights, tail lights, dark side glass, and went back to the stock grille, it is a much more tasteful package as an advertising tool. One that has much less chance of driving away potential customers.

JMO.

i do like the truck, though.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:58 PM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by meborder
Please take this in the spirit in which it is given and with no malicious intent.

i think you are sending potential customers a mixed message. Your truck looks much more like a toy than a rolling advertisement.

If I was looking for someone to do flooring, and saw your truck rolling down the road, i would not call. I get that you were shooting for something that would stand out, yet tastefully done, but it comes across to me as over the top.

as a truck, i like what you have done ... but as a business tool, i think you put your money in the wrong place. Me, as a paying customer, I would refuse to give my hard earned money to a company that would wastefully spend it on tricking out a work truck, particularly when I know how much many of the things you have done cost, and that I cannot or will not afford to do them for myself. It would just rub me the wrong way, and I would find another company to earn my money.

As i said, there is very little about the truck that I do not like, so for that, more Kudos. As an advertisement, i would have gone with something that looks much less like a weekend toy.

i would feel the same way about someone pulling up in a platinum, limited, or raptor. I'm not going to give my money to someone who essentially rubs it in my face, which is how it feels, whether intended or not.

In my mind's eye, if you ditched the headlights, tail lights, dark side glass, and went back to the stock grille, it is a much more tasteful package as an advertising tool. One that has much less chance of driving away potential customers.

JMO.

I feel the same way about giving my money to any business using a GM "truck". I feel as if my money is going to pay for their inevitable repairs.
As for the OP, I really like the truck, and I don't think it is too over done at all. I'm not a big fan of the wheels, but they do look like they belong on the truck.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:05 AM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
The black bar that goes from the tail light to tail light is awesome. Truck looks good i think.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:56 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
I like the look and do not think it`s flashy. Very clean looking. I been in same business for 33 years and have seen some doozys, which this is not,imo

Old 05-14-2013, 06:09 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Even as a younger man in my twenties, I never thought too much customizing my vehicles. I've always been a big fan of the "factory" look and I could never bring myself to spending money on a vehicle beyond what it needs for maintenance and daily function.

However, I think it looks good. I will say that if one is in search of the Raptor look, then buy a Raptor.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:41 AM
'78F250351m
Senior User
Sounds to me like some of you may be jealous. Who cares what a business owner does with his profit as long as he does a good job and spends his money correctly in other areas first. I know I don't bust my butt working day-in and day-out to not enjoy my hard earned money sparingly. I believe the main things you must financially be aware of in life when spending your money is where you are investing it the most? Tithe, family, providing for your family, which means your business, and then helping others is the order in which I believe going by. So, if you have a successful/honest bussiness why not make your personal/business ride look good? Sounds like to me he put a lot of work into the truck he didn't just pay for it to be done. We can assume he spends every cent on his material possessions but how can you do that by just looking at his truck?

Nice Truck!

Old 05-14-2013, 03:26 PM
FlooringGuy
Freshman User
Originally Posted by meborder

JMO.

I appreciate the feedback and the way you presented it. I am not here to try to change anyone's mind about my design and I knew going into it that any custom design isn't going to appeal to everyone, I just wanted to get a feel for what people might be saying about it when they see me driving around town.

I looked into having my print shop do a wrap for me but the price came in about $500 more than what I have spent on the truck as far as mods go (granted I did all the labor myself aside from the lettering). The wraps are also laminated printed graphics and will start fading/wearing noticeably within 3-5yrs, then you have to drop another $2-4k for another wrap.

In any case, I appreciate the time you spent to let me know your thoughts.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:49 PM
FlooringGuy
Freshman User
Originally Posted by '78F250351m
Sounds to me like some of you may be jealous. Who cares what a business owner does with his profit as long as he does a good job and spends his money correctly in other areas first. I know I don't bust my butt working day-in and day-out to not enjoy my hard earned money sparingly. I believe the main things you must financially be aware of in life when spending your money is where you are investing it the most? Tithe, family, providing for your family, which means your business, and then helping others is the order in which I believe going by. So, if you have a successful/honest bussiness why not make your personal/business ride look good? Sounds like to me he put a lot of work into the truck he didn't just pay for it to be done. We can assume he spends every cent on his material possessions but how can you do that by just looking at his truck?

Nice Truck!
Thanks, sounds like we have a similar approach to life. I do take pride in doing things myself and being able to pickup new skills. It was a learning experience but I did all the vinyl (rocker panels/bumpers, step bar, tail-light flow through and hood graphic) myself, installed the lights/flares myself, and modified a carriage works billet grille to better suit my liking. Definitely was able to stretch the dollar a bit more by doing most of it myself.

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 05-14-2013, 11:25 PM
Big Mother Trucker
New User
I like it, especially the hood graphic. Are you able to put the ford oval back in the grill?

Quick Reply: Please Rate My Truck