2015 + Expedition & Navigator 2015 + Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Any word on the 2014 Expedition?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 02:04 PM
LocDoc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Technologiq
After reading this thread and seeing people say 3/4 tons will be redundant, I have one word: payload.

What it can pull is only part of the equation. Talk to me when a f150 has the same payload capacity of a f-250
As the user "03 SVT VERT" stated, it was the Expedition and Excursion that were being discussed. Not the pickups.

There will be an F-250 Super Duty and a F-350 Super Duty for the foreseeable future. As the F-150 becomes even more capable with each revision – so do the F-250 and F-350 pickups which each revision. The next Super Duty line is already under development.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:20 PM
H1449-6
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Planning to replace my Excursion with either a pickup or another SUV. I prefer a pickup, though I don't really "need" one. Family prefers an SUV. My rationale is for towing; I tow a ~6500 lb open trailer (race car) and probably will go to an enclosed trailer in the next year or two. On paper, the either the F-150 or the Expedition can tow the current trailer, however I'm skeptical in the real world. If/when I move to the enclosed trailer seems it would be a foolish assumption that either truck would really handle the weight/side loads from wind, etc, and in any case would probably start to bump up against the GVWR.

Seems the Expedition is about to be redesigned (two model years from now) and at that point might be a reasonable choice to tow as outlined above.

Given that, I suppose I'll probably get a Super Duty pickup.

Am I wrong?

Old 08-04-2013, 03:26 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm still waiting on the new motor line-up. Have been waiting for 3-4 yrs now. And Ford still refuses to step up their game.
We turn in our Flex in January 2015 and I'd love to pick up a EB powered Expedition. Seems more likely I'll end up in a EB powered Flex or EB powered Explorer though.

I don't know how the Expy and Excursion can be compared to each other. Having owned a 2008 Expy EL Limited, and now a 2002 Excursion...I think I can actually offer a comparison between the 2 vs. paper facts.

Ride wise, the Expy and the 4 wheel indy suspension is the hands-down winner. The live-axle X can't even compare.

Load wise, the Expy lets you know when you it's loaded down. The 5.4 3v (300-320 hp and 365 TQ) coupled with the 6 speed trans does a good job. But still...you know there is a load back there. The rear suspension squats a bit with a trailer. My X doesn't give a rats behind what I have inside the rig or towed behind it with the V-10 (310 HP and 425 TQ) and the 4 speed 4r100. There is no noticeable change in ride quality. A nice benefit of having a 1 ton frame/suspension

And lets talk MPG's: My Expy EL got about 11-13 MPG city only driving. Highway was upwards of 18 mpg at times. My Excursion is getting 10 MPG city only right now. Highway is upwards of 14 MPG.
anybody else seeing what's wrong with that picture? how did a 2008 model get mileage that a 2002 gets?
Either way, Ford is pretty much the only large SUV I can turn to nowadays. Nissan has the large whatever it is they call it. FUGLY, and I will never buy an import again. Chevy/GM have been slowly killing their big rigs as well. Which leaves us without a lot of choices.

Also to those who say "Get a F-250"...been there and done that. And now I own an Excursion. My F-250 CrewCab wasn't big enough for the 6 of us.

back on topic:
Anybody know when we'll get an actual confirmation of the motor line-up for 2015?

Old 08-04-2013, 05:27 AM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Tylus
I'm still waiting on the new motor line-up. Have been waiting for 3-4 yrs now. And Ford still refuses to step up their game.
We turn in our Flex in January 2015 and I'd love to pick up a EB powered Expedition. Seems more likely I'll end up in a EB powered Flex or EB powered Explorer though.

I don't know how the Expy and Excursion can be compared to each other. Having owned a 2008 Expy EL Limited, and now a 2002 Excursion...I think I can actually offer a comparison between the 2 vs. paper facts.

Ride wise, the Expy and the 4 wheel indy suspension is the hands-down winner. The live-axle X can't even compare.

Load wise, the Expy lets you know when you it's loaded down. The 5.4 3v (300-320 hp and 365 TQ) coupled with the 6 speed trans does a good job. But still...you know there is a load back there. The rear suspension squats a bit with a trailer. My X doesn't give a rats behind what I have inside the rig or towed behind it with the V-10 (310 HP and 425 TQ) and the 4 speed 4r100. There is no noticeable change in ride quality. A nice benefit of having a 1 ton frame/suspension

And lets talk MPG's: My Expy EL got about 11-13 MPG city only driving. Highway was upwards of 18 mpg at times. My Excursion is getting 10 MPG city only right now. Highway is upwards of 14 MPG.
anybody else seeing what's wrong with that picture? how did a 2008 model get mileage that a 2002 gets?
Either way, Ford is pretty much the only large SUV I can turn to nowadays. Nissan has the large whatever it is they call it. FUGLY, and I will never buy an import again. Chevy/GM have been slowly killing their big rigs as well. Which leaves us without a lot of choices.

Also to those who say "Get a F-250"...been there and done that. And now I own an Excursion. My F-250 CrewCab wasn't big enough for the 6 of us.

back on topic:
Anybody know when we'll get an actual confirmation of the motor line-up for 2015?
Ford's version of "Hope and change".

Once Ford commits to J2807 tow rating standard established by the Society of Automotive Engineers like Toyota then we'll have truck that is more than hype.

If the Expy-L can pull 10K, and be rated for 12K, and do with the same vim and vigor as my old Excursion with that level of longevity, then me and Ford will be talking. I'd say there's a 20% chance of that happening. I'm also perfectly aware of how small a market segment I am. If I need another Excursion equivalent and Ford can't produce it then I suppose I can always get a F-250 custom built for 8 passengers.

Right now Ford is giving us smoke and mirrors with a talking head . I get why they do it, but this ain't my first rodeo.

Yoda had it right... do or don't do, no try.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:24 PM
LocDoc
New User
Originally Posted by Tylus

The 2015 Expedition may not be available in January of 2015. The release date Ford is gunning for, is late 2014 (fall/winter), but if the design teams run into delays, that figure could be pushed back. Just FYI.

I understand everyone’s apprehension and impatience about the new Expedition. On the surface it seems like Ford has neglected Expedition owners, but one must understand Ford had to redirect most of its resources on developing smaller, more fuel efficient, vehicles to fight high fuel prices and keep-up with growing demand. Now that Ford’s fuel efficient vehicle portfolio is pretty well established, Ford can focus on the big Expedition.

Ford also wanted to wait and move the Expedition to the new 2015 F-150 platform which includes advanced fuel saving technologies. The F-150/Expedition must meet the new mpg requirements set forth by the government that go into effect in 2016.

I can confirm one engine, the 5.0 liter 32-valve DOHC Ti-VCT (Twin-independent Variable Camshaft Timing) Coyote V-8. Other power plants are being evaluated, but I can’t go into specifics just yet.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Those engines will be backed by an industry first 10-speed manumatic transmission, for unparalleled performance and torque management in regards to towing.

Originally Posted by DavenTn
Once Ford commits to J2807 tow rating standard established by the Society of Automotive Engineers like Toyota then we'll have truck that is more than hype.

If the Expy-L can pull 10K, and be rated for 12K...

I can tell you the next Expedition will not be rated to tow 12,000 lbs, not even the Excursion was rated for that figure. The Expedition will be around 10,000 lbs at the most under Ford testing standards. SAE will have their say about the figure too. They tend to down rate SUVs compared to their pickup counterparts, as was the case for the Toyota Sequoia vs. Toyota Tundra.

All of that is a mute point right now, for the next Expedition is not able to be SAE J2807 certified, as its still under development. But once a production version is available, the SAE can evaluate it as they please.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Old 09-04-2013, 09:01 PM
NLPRacing
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LocDoc
The 2015 Expedition may not be available in January of 2015. The release date Ford is gunning for, is late 2014 (fall/winter), but if the design teams run into delays, that figure could be pushed back. Just FYI.

I understand everyone’s apprehension and impatience about the new Expedition. On the surface it seems like Ford has neglected Expedition owners, but one must understand Ford had to redirect most of its resources on developing smaller, more fuel efficient, vehicles to fight high fuel prices and keep-up with growing demand. Now that Ford’s fuel efficient vehicle portfolio is pretty well established, Ford can focus on the big Expedition.

Ford also wanted to wait and move the Expedition to the new 2015 F-150 platform which includes advanced fuel saving technologies. The F-150/Expedition must meet the new mpg requirements set forth by the government that go into effect in 2016.

I can confirm one engine, the 5.0 liter 32-valve DOHC Ti-VCT (Twin-independent Variable Camshaft Timing) Coyote V-8. Other power plants are being evaluated, but I can’t go into specifics just yet.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Those engines will be backed by an industry first 10-speed manumatic transmission, for unparalleled performance and torque management in regards to towing.

I can tell you the next Expedition will not be rated to tow 12,000 lbs, not even the Excursion was rated for that figure. The Expedition will be around 10,000 lbs at the most under Ford testing standards. SAE will have their say about the figure too. They tend to down rate SUVs compared to their pickup counterparts, as was the case for the Toyota Sequoia vs. Toyota Tundra.

All of that is a mute point right now, for the next Expedition is not able to be SAE J2807 certified, as its still under development. But once a production version is available, the SAE can evaluate it as they please.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
Thanks for the info. That's the first I've heard about a 10 speed auto, that's pretty exciting. I sure hope there's more engine options than the 5.0L. I know it's a great engine and will be better than the current 5.4L, but I would prefer to not go smaller unless it had twin turbos and/or was diesel.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:09 AM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by NLPRacing
Thanks for the info. That's the first I've heard about a 10 speed auto, that's pretty exciting. I sure hope there's more engine options than the 5.0L. I know it's a great engine and will be better than the current 5.4L, but I would prefer to not go smaller unless it had twin turbos and/or was diesel.
Looks like Nissan is gonna do the leap of faith... not Ford. Cummins and Nissan have teamed up to put a V-8 diesel (300 hp-500 ft lbs torque) in the 1/2 ton variant with the possibility of offering the same diesel in their terribly ugly NV line. Rumor has it... 29 mpg higway in the Titan.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:59 PM
NLPRacing
Freshman User
Originally Posted by DavenTn
Looks like Nissan is gonna do the leap of faith... not Ford. Cummins and Nissan have teamed up to put a V-8 diesel (300 hp-500 ft lbs torque) in the 1/2 ton variant with the possibility of offering the same diesel in their terribly ugly NV line. Rumor has it... 29 mpg higway in the Titan.
Ford has two potential diesels for the half tons, a 3.2L I5 and a 4.4L V8. If Nissan & Dodge start selling a ton of half ton diesels, I'm sure Ford will throw their hat in the ring. Personally, I'd rather have an Expedition EL with the Raptor's 6.2L V8, but I'd settle for a 3.5L EcoBoost.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:37 PM
rick chi-town
Junior User
LocDoc, you seem to be the Expy authority here, and as others have said, thanks for sharing the tidbits that you have... Having said that, I have been very loyal to the Expy name for almost 9 years now, I had an '05, and currently driving a '10. And the fluff that someone posted about all of it techno goodies is essentially all re-hashed nonsense. Updated bluetooth this, brake controllers that... big deal, my '10 has all of that and you're just insulting your consumer.

Perhaps not a fair comparison, but just on the surface, lets compare Ford to any of the larger German manufacturers for a second... They typically run a 7 year production model of any certain car, with a mid-life refresh... ie, new headlights, LED taillights, perhaps bumpers, little things like that, that keep the consumer interested. Based on that model, the time for an entirely new Expy should have been '09 or '10. And not just a make-over as in '07. Not an LCI, but a NEW Expy. And now, you're saying still ANOTHER 18mos away? Holy b*lls batman. That will essentially have been what, a 14 year run? There's no way, it couldn't have NOT been profitable for FoMoCo?

Again, just idle internet chit-chat here, but if in fact a complete restyle is 18mos away, I'll have no choice but to shop another brand. Add to that, the '10 never had the get up & go that the '05 had. I have a family of 4 that uses it on the weekends, and I pull some good size trailers during the week... I need a full-size, V8 SUV. Not sure what you're supposed to do with this post, just saying. Hopefully the new body is as cool as you say, if so, I'd think it'll sell.

Last edited by rick chi-town; 09-23-2013 at 09:43 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-23-2013, 10:18 PM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Keep in mind both Ford and GM's SUVs were pushed back over a year due to the financial difficulties they had around 2009/2010. They both should have been on the road already.

Also, while the SUVs are profitable, they don't sell anywhere near as many as they do pickups. If they have a choice between updating the pickups first or updating the full size SUVs, the pickups always get the nod. That's just the nature of the beast.

In all honesty, I was never one to expect much from Ford when it comes to a timely replace/refresh cycle anyway. I mean, we are talking about the same Ford that milked the E-series, Ranger, and Panther platform until they were so utterly outdated that they just had to stop.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:01 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by 03 SVT VERT
Keep in mind both Ford and GM's SUVs were pushed back over a year due to the financial difficulties they had around 2009/2010. They both should have been on the road already.

Also, while the SUVs are profitable, they don't sell anywhere near as many as they do pickups. If they have a choice between updating the pickups first or updating the full size SUVs, the pickups always get the nod. That's just the nature of the beast.

In all honesty, I was never one to expect much from Ford when it comes to a timely replace/refresh cycle anyway. I mean, we are talking about the same Ford that milked the E-series, Ranger, and Panther platform until they were so utterly outdated that they just had to stop.
Funny, I dropped my 2011 F-150 off at the dealer last night for some routine maintenance. They had a 2014 Expy wight in the middle of the new 2013-2014 cars and SUV's and the poor Expy looks so outdated.

I think that Ford could have gotten away with no update if they had at least offered the 5.0L and the 3.5L and put the 5.4L to pasture once and for all.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:56 PM
MeÐiCX
Freshman User
LocDoc, thanks for the info. It was an interesting read!

Earlier this year I opted to downsize to something a bit more fuel efficient compared to the '08 Expedition I had. I went with a new Explorer Sport. I'm happy with the features and mileage but miss the room of the Expedition. I can't wait until an Ecoboost model is available!

Old 10-08-2013, 09:14 AM
5.4T
Elder User
2015 Cadillac Escalade reaches higher

Ford falling behind, With GM revealing all there big suvs now!!!! COME ON FORD!

Old 10-17-2013, 11:16 AM
My2000Expy
Freshman User
What FoMoCo ought to do is offer the 6.7L as an option, or resurrect the Excursion vs EL Expy.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:08 PM
2003exp4x4
New User
Great info here. I'm a new user to this forum. I have been holding onto my 2003 Expedition 4x4 for over 10 years, waiting for a significant improvement from ANY manufacturer. Can't find anything that makes me want to upgrade. The things I won't give up:

Full Size
Minimum 5,000 pound tow capacity
7 passenger
Fold-flat third row
Tight turning circle (excludes many full size SUV's)
Off road capability (added 2" spacer lift to keep from getting stuck in sand)

I might be tempted to give up one or more of these if I could improve significantly on mileage, but there is nothing that gets over 20 in the city that is not tiny.

So, I'm thinking about upgrading to a newer Expedition (one with 6 speed transmission, that has not been beat up like mine), but might wait for the new model if it offers dramatic improvement in fuel efficiency. If it only gets me to 16 or 17 city, it's not worth it.

Any idea on whether the new model will compromise on any of those areas above, and what the mileage might be?

Quick Reply: Any word on the 2014 Expedition?