Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2002 7.3 diesel is missing/smoking/and has blowby

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 11:27 AM
7.3 PowerStroke 350
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 7.3 diesel is missing/smoking/and has blowby

Hello everyone; Im new to the forum and appriciate all the great info. that everyone posts.

Now I would like to get some oppinions on my engine problems

1. I have a 2002 7.3 F-350 with 98000 miles
2. It has a edge evolution on it which I use just for the gauges I leave it on the stock setting
3. I replaced my turbo with a garret 38r around 4 months/3000 miles ago

My symptoms started out with a little miss and some blue/white smoke. So I took it to a local shop and he told me #3 injector failed hot or cold and that #8 injector failed cold. So I replaced all 8 injectors with stock remands from full force diesel. I did the work myself and torqued the injectors to 10 ft. lbs. I got it back running and still had the same miss and still had blue smoke at idle and start up. So after about 20 miles it was under heavy boost going uphill and started to miss BAD and was fogging white smoke at idle and when you rev. it up. So I tried to check the blow by and it just blows the oil cap clean off the fillers neck. Also when I replaced the injectors I noticed I had alot of acces oil in my intake tube going to the turbo as well.

Please help, any ideas on my problem would help THANKS

Also guys I think there was a programer installed before I purchased the truck around 5 years/30000 miles ago. Is there any way I can get this programer or chip removed without me knowing what exactly is in it?

Old 04-29-2013, 11:44 AM
AzPatMan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With that much pressure, it could be the rings, but also could be a cracked piston.
The access oil in the turbo tube from the CCV doghouse could be from the pressure, or just a dirty doghouse not draining back into the valve cover.

But you might want to drain the oil and check it and see if you're getting fuel in the oil.
If so - you might have a wounded motor.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:59 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Had a similar experience when I did my sticks back in October 2011. The problem was that some of the injectors weren't fully seated.

I ended up having to pull two of them (needed to be replaced) and hammer down/reseat the rest of the injectors.

Once I did that the truck ran like it should and better.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:28 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
An improperly seated stick would do all the above... let's hope that's all it is.

Oh... don't go a wailin' on the solenoids. Lightly "bump" the sticks down with a deadblow hammer or wood as an interface until it's down enough. I hammered the lower half of the hold-down bracket to finish the seating. Torque them to 130 in/lbs (10 ft/lbs on a big wrench doesn't work - I got that tee-shirt). After getting the fluid out of the cylinders, put it together (VCs stay off) and run the truck (beware of turbo intake and loose paper towls, rags, pets, etc...) until it's warm. Retorque with a warm engine and button 'er up.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:46 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by 7.3 PowerStroke 350
Also guys I think there was a programer installed before I purchased the truck around 5 years/30000 miles ago. Is there any way I can get this programer or chip removed without me knowing what exactly is in it?
If "other" programmers use the obd plug, then know. However, if chipped, look down by the ebrake. You'll see a rectangular black box. See if a "window" is knocked out of it or a piece of tape covering it...

Old 04-29-2013, 08:03 PM
7.3 PowerStroke 350
New User
Hey Tugly, Thanks for the great info. I hope is just unseated injecters.

Also when I run it without the valve covers do I need to put the intercooler pipes back on?

Old 04-29-2013, 08:36 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
You don't need the pipes back on as long as it's not a dust bowl. You will have to reconnect the electrical 42 pin connector over the driver side valve cover.

Lay a straight edge across the top of the injector solenoids to see if they are all level. As for #3 & #8 injectors being bad, it sounds like you have the recall CPS installed in your truck from Ford and one of the side effects is those two particular injectors failing a contribution test even when there is nothing wrong with them.

Are you using any oil?

Old 04-29-2013, 08:58 PM
7.3 PowerStroke 350
New User
Hey F350-6 I dont think im using any oil I will have to check tommarow and let you know for sure. But I do know that I am NOT losing any water and I am NOT mixing any oil to water or fuel

Old 05-01-2013, 10:28 PM
7.3 PowerStroke 350
New User
Hey everyone I have been trying to do some more checking on my problems.

First I pulled my valve covers back off and laid a strait edge across the injectors and everything is lined up and level.

Second I started the truck with the valve covers off. I found that when it is running it has a very loud sucking/blowing noise coming from the heads? Also there is oil coming from each of the injectors oil spout as I feel there should be.

Also I have alot of oil in my intercooler pipes when I removed them. The passanger side pipe left a 2 inch diameter oil pudle on the floor.

So If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on what to look for now Please HELP. Thanks Again

Old 05-02-2013, 09:52 AM
AzPatMan
Elder User
Originally Posted by 7.3 PowerStroke 350

Second I started the truck with the valve covers off. I found that when it is running it has a very loud sucking/blowing noise coming from the heads?
Either valve/valve guides are shot, or you've got a loose/broken glow plug.
But the GP would throw a code if it were broken or unplugged - or unable to heat up.
But if you're hearing that after pulling off the VC, problem is definitely in that area then...

Old 05-02-2013, 10:38 AM
kell104
Elder User
I would have to 2nd the broken/loose glow plug idea. Either way you can get a compression guage that will thread into the glow plug holes and use it to find which cylinder is the problem. You might discover the bad plug in the process. I saw a few videos on youtube where the person said the whole core of the glow plug fell out leaving only the threaded shell part. (cheapies like autolite or champion). I'm not sure about it throwing a code if you had a bad one, only if you had a california truck with the glow plug module not just the more common relay setup. Sorry to say if it is the case the gp came apart you probably still have engine damage like broken piston or something. If it is just loose but intact you might be ok if the threads in the head are ok.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:49 AM
AzPatMan
Elder User
True - if you have he Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM) it'll through a code for sure.
The ones with the relay won't.... good call.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:20 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Spin your pushrods, in search of a bent one. With luck, that's all it is... and Clay carries those.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:09 PM
7.3 PowerStroke 350
New User
Hey guys! Thanks for all of the great info. It is MUCH Appriciated. I wont be able to get back working on it until sunday or monday so hopfully I will find out more then.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:46 PM
7.3 PowerStroke 350
New User
Hey everyone did some more work on the truck today and I have some updates on what I have found. Let me know what you all think.

First I pulled my cab off so that I could actually work on everything easily.

1. I pulled all off the passanger side injectors and glow plugs and everything looks to be in good shape.

2. I found that I had one bent pushrod on the exhaust valve on the very front cylinder.( Hey tuggly you said Clay carried these/ Who is he and how can I get in contact with him? Thanks)

3. I pulled off my passenger said head and found that I have a hole the size of a pencil eraser on the second piston from the front of the engine. The hole is in the center indention of the piston.

-If anyone has any idea of what couldve caused this please let me know what you think.
-My plan is to replace all eight pistons and maybe put the better rods in it with all new bearings as well. If anyone has any thoughts on my plans please let me know what you think. I am looking for ideas. THANKS!
-Also if anyone knows where to get pistons/rods etc. from please let me know a good place?

Quick Reply: 2002 7.3 diesel is missing/smoking/and has blowby