Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Supercharged V10 from Ford Oct 2006 Motor Trend

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 11:03 PM
MitchPeters
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharged V10 from Ford Oct 2006 Motor Trend

I wonder what happened to this project? Would be nice to get one of the engines before they are junked.

Hydrogen Powered Vehicles - at a dealership near you?
While not something you'll be parking in your garage anytime soon, Ford has announced they will be delivering, right off the production line, a hydrogen-burning V-10, 6.8 liter (415cid) internal combustion engine very similar to the engines delivered in their current line of popular trucks and vans. Designed for use in Ford E-450 vans, this is the first hydrogen-propelled production engine in the world with the capability to truly make an impact in mass produced commercial transportation. Cranking out 310 lb. ft of torque at 3,000 rpm and 235 horsepower at 4,000 rpm assisted by a 3.3L reverse twin-screw supercharger, this engine represents the state of the art in hydrogen burning technology."This engine represents a significant milestone in Ford's research efforts in hydrogen technology," said Dr. Gerhard Schmidt, vice president, Research & Advanced Engineering, Ford Motor Company. "We have learned a great deal about hydrogen powered internal combustion engines during the development phase of this engine."Production of the dedicated hydrogen fueled V-10 engines begins at Ford's Engine Manufacturing Development Operations in Dearborn Heights, Michigan where the engines are outfitted with a number of significant upgrades beyond the standard, gasoline-burning 6.8-liter engine. After 7,000 hours of developmental testing to ensure optimum durability and performance, various upgrades were performed to make these engines hydrogen fuel compatible, including: special hardened valves and valve seats (to compensate for hydrogen's reduced lubricating properties); iridium tipped spark plugs (for increased spark plug life); high-energy coil-on-plug ignition coils; fuel injectors designed specifically for hydrogen and high volume fuel rails; high output pistons, connecting rods and piston rings (to accommodate the higher combustion pressure of hydrogen combustion); all-new intake manifold (to accommodate twin screw supercharger and water-to-air intercooler); and a twin screw supercharger and water-to-air intercooler (to improve power output and maximize efficiency). Special engine oil with full-synthetic formulation was developed in partnership with BP/Castrol that's optimized for hydrogen combustion properties.Said Vance Zanardelli, chief engineer, Hydrogen Internal Combustion Engines, Ford Motor Company "We have only scratched the surface in terms of what can be achieved with hydrogen internal combustion engine technology."

Read more: A Hybrid And Alternative Fuel Vehicle Special Section - Consumer Festure - Motor Trend

Old 04-26-2013, 08:42 AM
MitchPeters
More Turbo
I just want the supercharger parts.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:26 AM
SDSC4X4
More Turbo
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Interesting, but the HP and torque figures don't seem to match the "higher combustion pressure," "supercharger and inter-cooler" and all the other goodies! Wonder if the supercharger replaces the standard intake (aka the Buick 3800)--that would be a great aftermarket piece!

And where would you buy fuel?

Old 04-27-2013, 09:48 PM
MitchPeters
More Turbo
I would not want the hydrogen fuel kit necessarily but the supercharger with gas. I could find someone to program it.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:56 PM
SDSC4X4
More Turbo
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Me too...

...me too, Mitch! Especially if it was a replacement for the intake--NOT a lot of room for the aftermarket kit type of supercharger on my V10 SD, and they seem to absolutely kill the MPG's, from what I've read (which admittedly, is not much.)

Old 04-28-2013, 07:01 AM
captchas
it really came to life in a very limited production, used in the airport fleet van's converted to big vans for a few years, why it never went future I think is due to lack of ability to refuel in the real world.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:56 AM
MitchPeters
More Turbo
Wonder how many spare parts are sitting on a shelf somewhere?