1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Bought an '85 Bronco! (a question!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 09:48 PM
animal2b
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Bought an '85 Bronco! (a question!)

Very excited - having it shipped up tomorrow. my question is what are some things i need to keep in the truck? or, what do you guys keep in your bronco?

any other words of advice/suggestions?

Old 04-25-2013, 11:20 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,654 Likes on 1,350 Posts
Spare, jack, TFI module and tool, flashlight, credit card with $10000 limit, auto club card with 100 mile towing.....

Old 04-26-2013, 01:12 AM
ford1977owner
Posting Guru
Spare, Jack, Tools, tow chain, fuses, jumper cables, coolant...

Old 04-26-2013, 02:50 AM
thin blue line
Freshman User
jack, spare tire, flash light, normal hand tools, maybe some fluids oil water and tranny. the bronco look's clean from the pics, hope it is good to ya. tells us a little more about it, whats your plans for it..........

Old 04-26-2013, 05:11 AM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

I keep my code reader and book, flashlight, cap light, spare ICM, bottle jack and a bucket full of wood blocks, jumper cables. Chain saw if I plan to get off road, shovel, paper towels, TP and water jug. You don't want to get hung up on a stump. Read the last sentence again.

Be absolutely certain about engaging 4Lo (stop, neutral) and disengaging those auto hubs (2WD direction change for 30 feet).

Old 04-26-2013, 07:58 AM
animal2b
Freshman User
Originally Posted by thin blue line
jack, spare tire, flash light, normal hand tools, maybe some fluids oil water and tranny. the bronco look's clean from the pics, hope it is good to ya. tells us a little more about it, whats your plans for it..........
i've wanted a bronco since i was a little boy. i used to play with my matchbox toys - i'd create a huge traffic jam, and then a massive accident ... and only the bronco could get through the wreckage to help. haha. anyway, i saw this truck on ebay and had my girlfriend's bro go look at it since it was in NC and I live in DC. he's practically a mechanic and gave me the go ahead to buy it.

the only issues are: radio doesn't work, signals don't work. the bronco has 34,000 original miles. pretty amazing. mostly garage kept. one owner.

the cliffs to the story are this:

-i got into a bidding war on ebay with 2 minutes left in the auction and ended up losing the truck.
-i called the dealership the next day just to let them know i was still interested if it fell through. he said the guy was coming to pick up the truck.
-the next day, i get an email saying, "second chance to bid!" I called the dealership right away, but it turned out the email was a hoax - their account had been hacked. the bronco was still gone.
-the NEXT day, the dealer called to tell me the man arrived with cash in hand to buy the Bronco, but he was 2,000 short and tried to haggle. ultimately, he gave up on haggling and the dealership called me and I snagged that sumbitch right away.

my plans for the bronco are simple: don't drive it a lot. hahah. i live in Washington, D.C. -- worst traffic in the country. it will be my getaway car when my girlfriend and I go camping or want to go for a long drive.

i aim to drive the truck 2-3 times a month. eventually, i'd like to have it painted black, b/c the tan/brown color isn't my favorite. but honestly, it's growing on me a little and i might keep it this color.

assuming the radio is actually broken and it's not just a fuse, i want to install this: 1973 - 1986 Ford Bronco - Custom Autosound & RetroSound USA Vintage Audio - On Line Catalog - USA-1 - AM/FM RADIO - AUTO-REVERSE CASSETTE - Product Detail Page

Old 04-26-2013, 08:08 AM
animal2b
Freshman User
Originally Posted by b4hntn
I keep my code reader and book, flashlight, cap light, spare ICM, bottle jack and a bucket full of wood blocks, jumper cables. Chain saw if I plan to get off road, shovel, paper towels, TP and water jug. You don't want to get hung up on a stump. Read the last sentence again.

Be absolutely certain about engaging 4Lo (stop, neutral) and disengaging those auto hubs (2WD direction change for 30 feet).
hahah - i always keep TP in my car. you never know when you gotta go.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:47 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 132 Likes on 126 Posts
Nice looking Bronco. A great find with only 34k on the odometer. However, I must point out a mistake in one of your previous posts. As of yesterday, Los Angeles was billed as having the worst traffic in the country. LOL

Jim

Old 04-26-2013, 02:04 PM
AbandonedBronco
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Nice looking Bronco!

The signals are most likely a fuse. I believe there's one for the lights themselves, and then the large flasher cylinder plugged into the fuse panel that makes them blink.

Not much to fix on it!

Old 04-26-2013, 03:42 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
It was bought from an used car dealer, right? sadly I don't buy this:

Originally Posted by animal2b
the cliffs to the story are this:

-i got into a bidding war on ebay with 2 minutes left in the auction and ended up losing the truck.
-i called the dealership the next day just to let them know i was still interested if it fell through. he said the guy was coming to pick up the truck.
-the next day, i get an email saying, "second chance to bid!" I called the dealership right away, but it turned out the email was a hoax - their account had been hacked. the bronco was still gone.
-the NEXT day, the dealer called to tell me the man arrived with cash in hand to buy the Bronco, but he was 2,000 short and tried to haggle. ultimately, he gave up on haggling and the dealership called me and I snagged that sumbitch right away.
I must say you got played, they used another account to bid against you, then surprisingly the misterious bidder didn't have the cash... right!... Don't get me wrong, it's a nice truck still, but you better keep a close eye on everything in it, I'm also pretty sure it isn't a 34k orig. miles but more probably a 234k re-painted (on a 34k truck in that shape EVERYTHING should work), the odometer in these trucks reads to 99k. Anyway, welcome to FTE! and I'm very sorry for raining on your parade, but that's my impression.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:40 PM
animal2b
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Encho
It was bought from an used car dealer, right? sadly I don't buy this:

I must say you got played, they used another account to bid against you, then surprisingly the misterious bidder didn't have the cash... right!... Don't get me wrong, it's a nice truck still, but you better keep a close eye on everything in it, I'm also pretty sure it isn't a 34k orig. miles but more probably a 234k re-painted (on a 34k truck in that shape EVERYTHING should work), the odometer in these trucks reads to 99k. Anyway, welcome to FTE! and I'm very sorry for raining on your parade, but that's my impression.
well, as for the ebay thing, they took a lower offer than i had originally bid. anything's possible, i suppose, but the dealership has been extraordinarily nice with this entire process.

i've seen some broncos on ebay with an odometer reading of 110,000+ miles, so i'm also not sure about the 99k miles. we'll see -- the truck arrives in about an hour and a half.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Don't worry too much, it's a Bronco and these are tough trucks nevertheless, they're quite old, which could bring some issues, but they're pretty reliable most of the time.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:11 PM
AbandonedBronco
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by animal2b
i've seen some broncos on ebay with an odometer reading of 110,000+ miles, so i'm also not sure about the 99k miles.
I *think* the 92+ models finally got a 6 digit odometer, but the body style you have is a 5 digit. Canadian models, I believe, had 6 digits for older trucks since km add up so much faster.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:31 AM
bigguns76
New User
I live in nc, saw this truck on craigslist before. I bought mine

Old 05-18-2013, 11:21 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
That is a sharp looking paint job! It's been so many years, so few exist anymore, everyone on the street will think that you got a $$ custom paint job on it!
If it were me, I'd keep it the way it is.

Quick Reply: Just Bought an '85 Bronco! (a question!)