Sponsored by: Moser

Well, It Didn't Start...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 03:27 PM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, It Didn't Start...

Hi everyone. Well, Pop's Truck was a little contrary this afternoon when I tried to fire it up for the first time. Of course I had the HEI distributor 180 degrees out of time to begin with. It was backfiring through the carb pretty badly. I have now gotten it (with correct distributor placement) to stop backfiring, but it still will not crank. It is very sluggish. Fuel pressure is around 6 psi into the carb and I have spark, hence the shotgun firing out of the carb. Any ideas? This is where I have absolutely NO experience. Ten pages of responses are welcome. I need ideas and I will systematically work through them all if need be. I would prefer however to not wipe out my cam before it gets broken in if I can help it though. Thanks in advance. I hope all is well.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:31 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Just to be clear...

It will turn over, but not fire?

Or

It will not turn over at all?

Old 04-21-2013, 03:39 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MAULMAUL
I would prefer however to not wipe out my cam before it gets broken in if I can help it though.
That is key! you did break in the cam correctly, right? if you haven't already done so prime the motor with a drill.

It sounds to me you're doing everything right, but you may be too far advanced, try backing off a bit.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:51 PM
tater_51
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by montana_highboy
That is key! you did break in the cam correctly, right? if you haven't already done so prime the motor with a drill.

It sounds to me you're doing everything right, but you may be too far advanced, try backing off a bit.
I agree with Montana Highboy, back off and take your time. I just went through all this a week ago. Double check timing, get it as close as possible before start up. I also have another starter on it's way. Mine turned over pretty slow, probably due to slightly higher compression and being new. Went with a high torque starter from Powermaster. You'll figure it out, it WILL come together.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:55 PM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
I primed the engine prior to attempting the start. I hope that will help along with an ample amount of assembly lube and cam lube. It turns over and is getting spark, it just will not fire and seems sluggish. If I can help with anything else as far as info goes, let me know. Thanks.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:04 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
It turns over and is getting spark, it just will not fire and seems sluggish.
It's hard to give advice over the interwebs, but try backing off the timing some more, it should start....

May be sluggish but it should still fire.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:17 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Maybe drop a small amount of gas in the carb unless you can see it squirting in from above. My 390 fired right up after that and it helps to have someone else handy to move the distibutor while you crank.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:52 PM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
Well, good news and bad news. The good news is the truck fired right up after I got the timing right. The bad news is the Dakota Digital gauges read 0 oil pressure. It ran for a few seconds before my helper killed the switch. I took the valve cover off and took a few pictures. There was oil in the bottom of the valve cover and the bottom of the distributor, but I don't know how much I should expect. Let me know what you think. Also, I am going to reprime the oil pump just to make sure. More ideas please...

Old 04-21-2013, 07:14 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
Until you get things sorted out, I would use a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Even a "cheapie" would work, one less thing to sort out at the start.
Once you've got her running and have good oil pressure, then you can trouble shoot the digital gauges (unless they are accurate and you actually don't have any oil pressure).
Good luck Maul Maul, we're all "rootin' " for you.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:17 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
That doesn't look like much oil. Leave the valve covers off when you prime it, that way you can see if there is adequate oil flow.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:19 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Well, good news and bad news. The good news is the truck fired right up after I got the timing right. The bad news is the Dakota Digital gauges read 0 oil pressure. It ran for a few seconds before my helper killed the switch. I took the valve cover off and took a few pictures. There was oil in the bottom of the valve cover and the bottom of the distributor, but I don't know how much I should expect. Let me know what you think. Also, I am going to reprime the oil pump just to make sure. More ideas please...

That looks pretty dry, did you put restrictors in the heads?

Old 04-21-2013, 07:23 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
When you had the machine work done on the engine, did the shop clean the block? and if they did, did they remove the oil galley plugs?
It's pretty easy to mess up and miss reinstalling one. That would kill any oil pressure and flow.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:03 PM
F-250 WARHORSE
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Also, any engine I have seen without oil pressure gets some insane rattling from the lifters, and them not pumping up but just clattering up and down. Remove the oil filter (or loosen it) and see how much comes out. I know on my 545 I just did, it wouldn't pick up prime, spun it forever and no deal. I finally loosened the filter and it primed immediately and squirted oil everywhere.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:57 AM
Xauterus
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you primed it but didnt get oil pressure? If you are using the tool to turn the pump then you should have seen oil pressure.

Or did I misread that? Did you put a drill on the pump to prime it?

Old 04-22-2013, 09:07 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yea, you should have had pressure just priming it!!!

Quick Reply: Well, It Didn't Start...