96 Bronco build

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 06:26 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
96 Bronco build

Some have been asking, so I figured I would share my build over here too

Last Sept i bought my 96. It is just an XL 302 5 speed. Only options I can see it has is A/C and rear defrost. It is in kinda rough shape, almost every body panel is dented(both quarters, the passenger door and fender need to be replaced). But NO RUST:thumbup It came from Colorado. The previous owner put in a 6" pro comp stage II lift w 35 Dick Cepecks on 15x10 Micky Thompson wheels. 4.56 gears and some sort of locker was added in the rear. He also added a Viper alarm, aftermarket cruise, crappy fog lights.

Here is how it looked when I brought it home

The 1st thing I did to it was rip out the broken Vinyl bucket seats. I found a pair of 1st Gen lightning buckets and console. I just swapped out the bronco bucket seat sliders on to the Lightning seats.I still need to figure out something to the rear access lever.

Then the rear window would not go down. I jumped the window motor with a cordless drill battery to get the window down and get the gate open. I found one of the contacts in the rear window door cyl was bad. I uded up by passing the rear door switch and also the door latch safety as well. Right now I have it set up that it only works from the switch on the dash.

Next up was to figure out why the rear axle was too far forward and having the tires hitting the quarters:doh0715:.AND why the rear end was walking side to side in 1st gear. Well the Block and the factory wedge were in the wrong spots So reversing them, adding some used springs with some new bushings and new shackles fixed both issues. Also added a stock sway bar but not till the block issue was figured out.
How the blocks/wedges were

The I pulled the drums to check the brakes. Had an axle seal leaking so Figured I would do a complete brake job(Shoes, hardware and wheel cyls) and axle seals. But once I pulled the diff cover I saw MORE problems from the previous owner. Come to find out when the gears were put in, the guy used 1" and 3/4" bolts to secure the ring gear and NO LOCKTITE. Well, 2 of the bolts backed out and when the did, they took out the tone ring. SO I took the truck to my buddy and he looked it all over. Ended up getting an install kit(bearings & seals) and a new tone ring w axle seals. Also replaced the beat up stock diff cover(from the bolts beating into it) w a Trick Flow cast aluminum piece.

Got the bronco home and serviced the front axle(PO put in a drain plug:rockon), t-case, trans and engine.

I then stared removing all the aftermarket BS(cruise, alarm, CB, Fog light wiring, etc)
All the unneeded BS wires

Then I stated cleaning, Since I have the charcoal Lighting seats and console, I figured why not rip out all the blue interior and put in 92/93 charcoal interior to match. Removed the seats, all the trim and rubber floor. Found a surprise of two small rust spots in the rear floor back by the tailgate. No problem i was going to sandblast the floor and POR it then Spray bed line anyway. Just gonna happen sooner than planned. Washed the entire tub with some purple power a scub brush and an old wash mitt. I also pulled the top(I plan On having it off all season and just put back on for winter storage.

This week i plan on sandblasting the floor, POR and removing the dash. If time allows I will run to the JY and get a charcoal dash. Also debating on getting he power window harness because I have a pair of doors with full power and my charcoal interior door panels are power.

Progress As of today(plus the top off)

Also, what is this black box on the passenger B pillar?

Old 04-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
The plan is to sandblast tomorrow and hopefully all the factory seam sealer will blast out since it is hideous. then a good coat of POR15 then bed liner(got 2 gallons coming)

Old 04-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Picked up a brand new Aftermarket tailgate last night. Guy had it painted blue for his truck, but hit a tree, totaling the truck. Never got the gate on.

Tonight I started sandblasting. Found ROT BOTH spots back by the gate I made holes and also on the fender wells where the seat belts mount I have holes. Guess I am going to be doing some welding

Old 04-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Did some more work today.

Picked up a 92-93 Charcoal gray dash to go with the rest of my charcoal interior. Also picked up the interior quarter covers and rear seat from a 90 bronco today. I am going to do away with the 92-96 rear seat belt set up since I will not be running the top.

Did some more sandblasting as well. The whole inside of the tub is done. Found and killed the rust. I am going to cut out the studs for the rear seat belts since I will not be using them. I already cut out the arch supports from the quarters as well.

I removed the dash, and the sound deadener.

I am hoping tomorrow after my training class I can cut out the pieces from the rear wheel wells and the 2 in the floor back by the gate. Still not quite sure what I am going to do about the rear crossmember rust

On to the pics..
Drivers side wheel well rot from under(wheel well arch support removed)

Drivers side wheel well rot from inside(seat belt support plate removed)

The support plate

Wheel well arch support

Passenger side, from under(not as bad)

On top

And support

Completely gutted and sandblasted

Driver floor rot

Passenger floor rot

Wheel well sandblasted

Dash, sound deadener and heater box removed

Drivers rear crossmember

Passenger rear cross member

Old 04-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Not a very productive week. Been working 10 hour days and driving an hour each way.

Got the seatbelt supports cut out and new pieces welded/glued in.

Also cut out the rot in the floor by the tailgate. And glued in new pieces.

Today I finished sanding the floor/tub and painted it with POR15.

Tomorrow I plan on sanding that and doing Scorpion bed liner on the inside of the whole tub

Old 04-14-2013, 06:31 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Got the Scorpion/AL's bed liner sprayed this AM.
VERY pleased with how it turned out.
Now on to swapping my Charcoal dash skin to the 96 dash frame and cleaning and painting all my new Charcoal interior. I am contemplating not using inner quarter trim panels and just leaving it bed lined it looks so good. Would just need to figure out something for the rear speakers.

O, this was 2 gallons. 1 would of made it, but thicker is better, right?:thumbup

Old 04-14-2013, 06:42 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i cant wait to see how this turns out, your builds are always very fun to watch an the final product is jaw dropping.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:35 PM
NewEnglander
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Looks awesome, love seeing builds like these

Old 04-14-2013, 09:42 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad

Also, what is this black box on the passenger B pillar?
I zoomed in on my phone, but it kinda looks like an airbag crash sensor.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:33 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
I zoomed in on my phone, but it kinda looks like an airbag crash sensor.
Yup. That is what it turned out to be

Old 04-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
great build

Old 04-15-2013, 07:00 PM
BiGGreen350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
cool stuff gonna be one nice bronco!

Old 04-15-2013, 09:19 PM
Fordman96
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This will make my 96 build all the easier

Old 04-19-2013, 09:18 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Another slow week.

But I did get the rest of the interior trim panels cleaned and sprayed.

After I got a quote of $250 to redo my headliner by a local Upholstery shop, I figured it was time to give it a try myself.

Went to JoAnne Fabrics last night and bought a lil over 1 yard of fabric. I couldn't find an exact match of the charcoal that would match the visors, so I decided to go a lil different route. I got some Heathered gray felt that almost matched the Lightning seats. Picked up 2 cans of spray glue(specific to fabric)

I Carefully pealed off the blue material being careful not to disturb the foam backing. Laid the new fabric out. Used chip clips to hold one side, folded the other side back. Put a coat of glue on the fabric and foam. Laid the fabric back down smoothing out any wrinkles as I went and following contours. Once that side was done, I did the same thing to the other side. Took about 25 min total. I still need to trim around the edges and put it in the truck, but I am Very pleased with the results.

O and the best part?!?!? $25 in material:rockon SCREW the upholstery guy

Old 04-20-2013, 03:45 PM
BiGGreen350
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Another slow week.

But I did get the rest of the interior trim panels cleaned and sprayed.

After I got a quote of $250 to redo my headliner by a local Upholstery shop, I figured it was time to give it a try myself.

Went to JoAnne Fabrics last night and bought a lil over 1 yard of fabric. I couldn't find an exact match of the charcoal that would match the visors, so I decided to go a lil different route. I got some Heathered gray felt that almost matched the Lightning seats. Picked up 2 cans of spray glue(specific to fabric)

I Carefully pealed off the blue material being careful not to disturb the foam backing. Laid the new fabric out. Used chip clips to hold one side, folded the other side back. Put a coat of glue on the fabric and foam. Laid the fabric back down smoothing out any wrinkles as I went and following contours. Once that side was done, I did the same thing to the other side. Took about 25 min total. I still need to trim around the edges and put it in the truck, but I am Very pleased with the results.

O and the best part?!?!? $25 in material:rockon SCREW the upholstery guy
good work, sure you remember i did the same with mine, wasn't about to pay somebody 100 bucks to do something that i could figure out, especially when the materials are super cheap

Quick Reply: 96 Bronco build