1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:02 AM
bthr22
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another problem

So I was backing in to my space at home last night when I hear this loud pop come from the front left. This morning when I left for class, I pulled out and it did the same thing again. I go out and looked under and behind the tire and nothing looked broken or caught.

I watched my tire as I turn the wheel. When I turn to the right, just as the wheel gets maybe 10-20 degrees past straight, it hangs up on something and the wheel pops and releases and continues it's motion. Then as it comes back to center, it hangs up in the same spot and finally breaks free and continues back to center. When it frees up on the return to center, the front end drops some, which makes me wonder if it's something with the suspension. The suspension is old and sags pretty low (I started a thread on that earlier).

While I'm driving, when I turn right, The Pop will happen, but will not pop when I straighten back out. then when I come to a stop, it will free up when I get to about 10mph, and the front end of my truck will literally jump to the left.

Needless to say, I drove home and parked my truck, where it will stay until I can figure out what the heck to do. Any suggestions on what it might be? I'd prefer to fix it myself if possible. Its a 2000 F250 V10 2wd. I just replaced the front left caliper a few weekends ago, and the front left inner and outer tie rod end about a month ago. I had it aligned after the tie rod end, and now it is considerably out of alignment. the wheel sits about 45+ degrees to the right of center when I"m going straight.

I am extremely frustrated because of all of the stuff that has been popping up since I bought the truck. When I have the chance to go home in a few weeks after school lets out, the truck will be going straight to MY mechanic to have it looked over. Thank you all for any input you can give, I greatly appreciate it, and sorry for the long post.

Ryan

Old 04-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I would check the coil springs in that truck. I have had a few that cracked and caused that issue.

If not that check the ball joints, tie rod ends, track bar, and wheel bearings.

Sarge

Old 04-10-2013, 03:24 PM
bthr22
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sarge261
I would check the coil springs in that truck. I have had a few that cracked and caused that issue.

If not that check the ball joints, tie rod ends, track bar, and wheel bearings.

Sarge
Thanks Sarge! I'll post what I find. In the meantime, would it be safe enough to drive the 2-3 miles round trip to and from campus?

Old 04-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I would look at it first, without knowing exactly whats wrong I would say no, don't drive it. You don't want to risk hurting you or someone else because of something stupid.

Sarge

Old 04-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If its the ball joints you will be ok driving it a little but as Sarge said anything other than that you better get fixed ASAP..

Old 04-11-2013, 03:23 PM
bthr22
Senior User
I took a quick look this morning before walking to campus. What is happening is when the wheel turns and hangs up, it looks like the whole braking system (rotor and caliper) rotate counter clockwise, then clockwise when the tire returns to center. That shouldn't be happening right?
Maybe I'll post a video when I get a chance, and I can update when I have time to either take things apart, or take it in to a shop.

Unsurprisingly, this decided to happen at the worst possible time, so I may be bumming rides and walking places for a few days.

Ryan

Old 04-11-2013, 04:56 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
My guess would be ball joints. Your ball joints are what is supposed to give the wheel assembly rigidity in the vertical axis, yet allow the wheel turn pivot (or turn) when needed. If there is play in the ball joints, as you turn the wheel the tire will try to stay on the vertical axis of the ball joints, but the play will cause that axis to rotate (which is why you saw the brake assembly rotating).

Old 04-12-2013, 07:06 AM
bthr22
Senior User
I see... thanks Redford. Now, with an idea of what may be causing the trouble, can I potentially drive through the weekend? I literally have no time to spare, and cannot go without a vehicle this weekend.

If it still isn't safe to drive, I am in the process of working my way out of some of the lower priority things on my schedule to work on my truck.

What is the level of difficulty/ how long does a ball joint replacement take? Should I do both at the same time? Like I said before, if I can do it myself, I'd prefer to. I'm a "poor college kid" and I really don't want to ask my parents for the money to have it done in the shop.

Again, thanks for all your help! This is why I love FTE!

Old 04-12-2013, 07:38 AM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Not really sure what the price difference of a 2wd is, but the parts for a 4x4 cost about 300 for both sides. Another ~100 if you do u joints. Plan on a solid day and maybe some of the next to do this

Old 04-12-2013, 07:48 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
you can rent the ball joint press usually for free from advanced auto, napa etc. And doing ball joints on a 2wd super duty is a breeze compared to a 4wd super duty.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:48 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
here is the 2wd ball joint link for you

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...r-dummies.html

Old 04-12-2013, 07:50 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Old 04-12-2013, 07:53 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Old 04-12-2013, 08:53 AM
bthr22
Senior User
Thanks for all the links, SuperDutyScaler!!! Wow, that's extremely helpful! It seems pretty doable, just time consuming (which I have none of).

I can probably just break up the work into increments over a period of a few days and tackle it. But like BigPipes said, I should be ok driving it a little bit, which I have to have it this weekend for a couple things (no heavy hauling or anything) but I can't walk. So maybe I'll get the parts in whatever spare few minutes I can find and start working in the times I don't have class this next week.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:22 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
if you must id get the parts first, then id do the drivers side since thats the one giving you problems. Id then finish the passenger side a few days later.... its not like this is a little nissan pickup here even though its a 2wd your truck is still heavy and putting alot of weight on a worn out ball joint. drive slower than usual try to avoid all potholes etc and get her fixed asap

Quick Reply: Yet another problem