upgrading has started

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 12:39 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,701 Likes on 1,137 Posts
upgrading has started

ordered new ev2 gauges and pillar today. boost, pryo, trans temp
extra sensors to be able to watch rear axle temp and engine coolant temp.
CAC is installed, waiting on piping (should be done by the end of April)
spider is ready to go in.
need to schedule with rosewood for injector upgrade / rebuild
get a t500 ordered
and get chip ordered
my wife is getting over the shock of me spending all this money at once, a few more days and her blood pressure should be back to normal.
then I will start shopping for an upgraded turbo

Old 04-09-2013, 12:48 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by helifixer
ordered new ev2 gauges and pillar today. boost, pryo, trans temp
spider is ready to go in.
need to schedule with rosewood for injector upgrade / rebuild
get a t500 ordered
and get chip ordered
my wife is getting over the shock of me spending all this money at once, a few more days and her blood pressure should be back to normal.
then I will start shopping for an upgraded turbo
Seems to be a good project. Good Luck (with the blood pressure. LOL). congrats. Keep posting.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:35 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Sounds like a good build. How big of injectors are you getting yours turned into? At least you're giving the wife time to recover a little before the turbo! Any idea on what turbo you're getting? I'm curious, I like a good build thread.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:37 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
got busy and didn't call Jim on injector recommendations today. probably just stage 1 premium.
I just bought another 97 powerstroke today so I will pull the injectors out of it and send them in, pull the hpop and use it for a core for the t500

Old 04-10-2013, 12:00 AM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright another build thread! X2 on what turbo your looking at. Have fun with it. Remember, once you start moding you wont be able to stop haha.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:25 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
What kind of sensor for rear temp? I'm drawing a blank on CAC, I should know, please explain.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:28 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
What kind of sensor for rear temp? I'm drawing a blank on CAC, I should know, please explain.
same sensor as the auto trans temp sensor, drill and tap rear diff install sensor run wire to gauge.

CAC= Charge Air Cooler, or intercooler, after cooler

Old 04-10-2013, 08:30 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by stainlessstroker95
Alright another build thread! X2 on what turbo your looking at. Have fun with it. Remember, once you start moding you wont be able to stop haha.
my plans are to wait for now until everything else is done and see what it is going to make for boost and how much lag there is with the cooler installed, than determine if I need a different turbo or not

Old 04-10-2013, 07:12 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Mine worked well with stage ones, intercooler, and the stock turbo. 2 problems I had, egt's made me back out on quite a few hills, less after I switched to 4.10 gears though. After the gear switch, egt's were better, but I was hitting 25 lbs of boost easily on not so big hills. My thinking was the stocker wasn't going to last a long time frequently hitting those numbers if not higher, that is why I changed. I wasn't going to do it till next year, it just kinda happened this time I had it apart.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:21 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds good fixer! I just did Jim's Stage 2s and T500. I'm waiting on my chip to get here, and I plan on upgrading the turbo next year.......if I can wait that long! Good luck with your build bud!

Old 04-10-2013, 10:37 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
same sensor as the auto trans temp sensor, drill and tap rear diff install sensor run wire to gauge.

CAC= Charge Air Cooler, or intercooler, after cooler
Thanks for the reply! What are acceptable temps on the rear? My nephew who worked for Ford Proving Grounds said in all his tests the Royal Purple ran the coolest but I didn't get a actual temp out of him. I gave my rear () the royal treatment, LOL

Old 04-10-2013, 11:41 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Thanks for the reply! What are acceptable temps on the rear? My nephew who worked for Ford Proving Grounds said in all his tests the Royal Purple ran the coolest but I didn't get a actual temp out of him. I gave my rear () the royal treatment, LOL
not sure what acceptable temps are for the rear end or the transmission (5 speed) just thought it would be nice to be able to monitor them so if there is a change it could show impending problems.
on the helicopters the transmissions and combining gear boxes had temp sensors and that was one of the tools we used to monitor the health of them.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:05 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
pillar and gauges are installed, cut out the cubby hole on the right side if the steering column and made a plate for it to hold my dimmer switch and my temp select switch.
working a little slow as I removed the entire interior for a good cleaning. putting interior back in today.
still need to drill and tap the exhaust manifold for the pyro probe.
will remove the rear axle cover and mig a 1/8" pipe fitting for the temp probe and remove the pto cover from the trans for it's temp cover.
I will continue to run the 10w30 oil in the trans to see what temp it is running after I log that I have AMSOIL syncromesh I am putting in the trans to see what temp it runs.

my CAC pipes arrived yesterday, so now I need to get a set of injectors out for rebuild and get a hpop sent out for the T500.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:01 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
pillar and gauges are installed, cut out the cubby hole on the right side if the steering column and made a plate for it to hold my dimmer switch and my temp select switch.
Glad your getting stuff done on the truck.

On the dimmer for the EV2s. All you should need that for is to set the maximum brightness of the gauges, then the gauges will dim with the factory dimmer switch when you use it, if you hooked it up that way. So you shouldn't really need to have access to it all the time. I set mine up under the dash so I can reach it if I ever want to mess with it, but I used it after installing the gauges that one time and haven't touched it ever again. LOL

Old 08-11-2013, 06:43 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
all my temp sensors are hooked up for now. I have water temp, position 2. transmission temp position 3 and rear axle in position 4. I left position 1 open for an oil temp probe later.
I only drove it around the block after getting done but was un impressed watching the water temperature on the ev2 compared to that thing that ford installed and calls a temp gauge.

once I put some miles on it I will report what I am running for temps on the trans and rear axle.

Quick Reply: upgrading has started