1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of a 8" lift what you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Towerrider87
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of a 8" lift what you guys think?

I have a 2006 f-250 lariat and looking for the best lift that when i put on wheels and tires that im not going to get alot of road noise and i want something decent price and quality.

Pro Comp Suspension Part expk4036b - 8 inch Stage I Lift Kit with ES3000 Shocks

Old 04-07-2013, 08:08 PM
vortec 1
Elder User
Think what you are doing with it first

If you are going muddin then great.If you use it for working then I would'nt go over a 4inch lift.I have a 4inch Pro Comp lift with 35's on it and if I did'nt have running boards on it, I would split my pants getting in. But useing for work it is perfect as it gives it a nice stance but its not to high to load and unload.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Towerrider87
Junior User
Muddin hardcore no, off road here and there ya but nothing major

Old 04-07-2013, 09:57 PM
Sparky04SD
Laughing Gas
Received 126 Likes on 86 Posts
8" of lift will kill the fuel mileage, raise cain with steering and handling besides ruining a perfectly good truck. Go a max of 4" for both offroading uses and looks. You can run 35's and even 37's depending on rim choice. You'll have driveline issues requiring more money to resolve them.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Towerrider87
Junior User
So 4" and 6" which one would be best for gas milage and drive line issues? I'm having my truck programmed and tuned and also better exhaust and the egr delete kit what would the best looking lift do? Also I'm looking at a kit that including gas shocks and steering shock so what would you recommend?

Old 04-07-2013, 11:02 PM
tgreening
Elder User
Originally Posted by Towerrider87
So 4" and 6" which one would be best for gas milage and drive line issues? I'm having my truck programmed and tuned and also better exhaust and the egr delete kit what would the best looking lift do? Also I'm looking at a kit that including gas shocks and steering shock so what would you recommend?

Your lift should largely depend on what size tire you intend to install. Eight inches of lift with say 35' tires would look ridiculous. The tires you install are going to largely depend on what gear set you intend to run. 35's without a gear change is pushing it as far as performance goes.

There's more to it than just bolting on any old lift, and slapping on whatever size tire strikes your fancy.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:05 PM
Towerrider87
Junior User
I'm not looking for major ****, I want something that will turn heads but at the same time have good mpg, don't have to re gear so maybe a 4" lift then? Also I have been looking at something like airbag lift ever heard or seen this?

Old 04-08-2013, 04:36 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMO, the proper approach to lifting a truck is:

Step 1. Determine the tire size. This depends on how much "axle clearance" you want for the truck. If your truck came with 33" OEM tires, then going to 35" tires provides 1" of additional axle clearance, 37" tires provides 2" of additional axle clearance, 40" tires provides 3.5" of additional axle clearance, etc. The tire width determines the actual wheel size needed and impacts Step 2.

Step 2. Once tires are determined, then you can decide on how much lift is actually required. On your 2006 F250, 35" tires will require a minimum 2.5" leveling kit, 37" tires will require a minimum 4.5" - 6" lift kit, 40" tires will require a minimum 8"-10" lift kit. However, the Bushwacker cut-out fender flares can reduce the amount of required lift significantly. Smaller lift kits provide better handling due to a lower center of gravity, keep the truck a reasonable working heights, and are overall cheaper because fewer peripheral upgrades are needed.

Step 3. Depending on your OEM axle gears and engine, you can then determine if new axle gears are required.

This approach is a "functional" approach... the choice made in Step 1 impacts Step 2 and Step 3. The taller the tire size, the more expensive the overall lift becomes.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:37 AM
BigOl04
Senior User
do 8 I did.. i have 355 60R20 nitto terra grapplers on moto metal wheels.. it has a great stance to it to.. i am 6ft tall and my rockers come up even with my hip.. without steps its a little much to get into.. BUT... I do get 14 mpg and have a 12" drop hitch when i pull.. it looks good and if you get the kit with everything drive spacers and link and end link drops then its all good... dont go cheap on a lift because you get what you pay for.. do 8... it looks good and feels good to be able to go offroad and have fun yet still pull and use it daily..(plus being one of the biggest on the road is nice)(the looks to.. lol) its your opinion but i love my 8... no regrets.. gear your front and rear ends though.. lol.. if you dont you will have drive line issues that you dont want to fix.$$$$$$$

Old 04-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Bigtruc
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sparky04SD
8" of lift will kill the fuel mileage, raise cain with steering and handling besides ruining a perfectly good truck. Go a max of 4" for both offroading uses and looks. You can run 35's and even 37's depending on rim choice. You'll have driveline issues requiring more money to resolve them.
Not true, I have an 8" superlift kit with 38" toyo's & factory gears & can still pull 15 mpg pretty regularly. I even got almost 18 when I drove it home from Indiana. The one thing I did learn is to spend the extra money & get a kit that uses new springs in the rear to get the lift, not lift blocks. Then get a set of shims to change the drive line pitch & releave some tention on the u-joints. This will stop u from burning through them, granted u r always gonna be harder on your joints anytime u put a lift in but this helps.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:00 PM
2012 F250 6.2
Senior User
4 inch here. It seems gigantic for a daily driver. If its not a DD and you want to get radical, go for it!

Old 04-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Towerrider87
Junior User
can you guys post photos of your truck maybe standing by it? any pics of 4 6 8 would help alot and any urls of complete kits with everything that i would need including say steering stabilizer and what not

Old 04-08-2013, 08:05 PM
vortec 1
Elder User
I have mine apart or I would stand by it and get a pic but to give you an idea i'm around 6 foot and the hood is at my neck.Here is a 4'inch lift with 35 inch tires at a -5 on the rim off set so I can keep the rubber under the truck and the 35's are almost up to my waist.Notice tow hooks are almost to top of tire.I did not have to change my gear,brakelines or anyting special and the thing handles like a dream. I can take a corner like a Corvette and no body roll.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:49 PM
Bigtruc
Senior User

This is mine with 8" superlift kit on 38" toyo's. I don't have one of me next to it but like vortec said I'm also 6' & the top of the hood is at my neck, the door sill is almost to my waistline.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:56 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
Well said! X2 and as a side note, a buddy of mine has a '12 F150, has 20" rims,,, a set of tires runs him $2500+ so start with your realistic budget and your tire size, it adds up quick!

Originally Posted by Furian
IMO, the proper approach to lifting a truck is:

Step 1. Determine the tire size. This depends on how much "axle clearance" you want for the truck. If your truck came with 33" OEM tires, then going to 35" tires provides 1" of additional axle clearance, 37" tires provides 2" of additional axle clearance, 40" tires provides 3.5" of additional axle clearance, etc. The tire width determines the actual wheel size needed and impacts Step 2.

Step 2. Once tires are determined, then you can decide on how much lift is actually required. On your 2006 F250, 35" tires will require a minimum 2.5" leveling kit, 37" tires will require a minimum 4.5" - 6" lift kit, 40" tires will require a minimum 8"-10" lift kit. However, the Bushwacker cut-out fender flares can reduce the amount of required lift significantly. Smaller lift kits provide better handling due to a lower center of gravity, keep the truck a reasonable working heights, and are overall cheaper because fewer peripheral upgrades are needed.

Step 3. Depending on your OEM axle gears and engine, you can then determine if new axle gears are required.

This approach is a "functional" approach... the choice made in Step 1 impacts Step 2 and Step 3. The taller the tire size, the more expensive the overall lift becomes.

Quick Reply: Thinking of a 8" lift what you guys think?