1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Im new here

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 09:52 PM
Logan "Mudflap"
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im new here

Hey ford fans im new to this stuff but not to ford gas engines. I recently got a 1995 ford f250 7.3L direct injection powerstroke and im lovin it a lot. Im fairly new to diesel engines and dont know too much and i want to learn. I mean i know some stuff about them. Me and my father are looking at some things for both our diesels... We looked at an edge 100 hp chip and some exhaust kits for them and wondering about what will give the best performance out of our trucks. Im talking horsepower, torque, and mileage. Im not into all that dumping clouds ****, thats bad on the engine and most guys end up rebuilding engines cuz of that ****.... I would also like to know what turbos are the best...

Old 03-28-2013, 09:58 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to FTE! First off forget about the edge and start researching custom tunes on a TS chip. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Start with intake (a lot of us run the 6637), exhaust (I built mine with a Diamond Eye down pipe and straight pipe) and gauges. After that, what's your budget and goal for the truck?

Old 03-28-2013, 10:08 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
Hi Logan, welcome to the OBS 7.3 forum. There are a lot of knowlageable folks on here. You might want to do a little more research on that edge chip. I believe that is the one that can mess the computer up. Most on here use the TS style tuner with custom tunes on them from Tony Wildman, Power Hungry Preformance, Gearhead and the like. Someone with a little more knowlage on the turbos will be along shortly to give you the run down on them.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:08 PM
Logan "Mudflap"
New User
Well its running at about 250 horses i pull small timothy hay trailers with my dad we haul them over the mountains to get them to the coast to ship off to japan and all them folks my dads truck is a 7.3 liter but its a 99 dually and goes over the pass very easily and i kinda struggle but ive done it twice but we want more out of it we think our goal for the truck is about 550 to 600 horsepower so we both can haul the same loads to make less trips when hay season starts up. We dont really have a budget we have a big lump of extra cash hanging around at the moment so what ever will get the goal really

Old 03-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Logan "Mudflap"
New User
And we do realize we will need some larger injectors for the truck so some help on those could help us out a lot and thanks

Old 03-28-2013, 10:17 PM
Logan "Mudflap"
New User
And we just looked at a 4" exhaust kit that looks like it would help too...

Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
For that kind of power I hope you have a large stack of cash! What trans are you guys running? Stick or auto?

Old 03-28-2013, 10:28 PM
Logan "Mudflap"
New User
My tranny is a 5 speed manual transmission

Old 03-28-2013, 10:29 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE! 550-600 HP may be a stretch for you, but 400 is very realistic, but still not cheap. Start with a 6637 intake, 4" exhaust and gauges. Pyrometer, boost, fuel psi, and if it's an automatic, a trans temp gauge. Then you can do bigger injectors and HPOP and a TS chip. Then you can upgrade the turbo and do an inter cooler. There are several guys on here with a lot of knowledge of how to build these trucks. Take your time and do some reading on here and you will learn a lot!

Old 03-28-2013, 10:37 PM
Logan "Mudflap"
New User
Okay yeah that helps we just looked at a ts tuner thanks a lot guys and yeah it is a bit of a stretch but i think we can pull it off well... Eventually and have just ordered the 6637 intake and we will take a better look at the ts tuners tomorrow... And can someone tell me the difference between my direct injection and a not direct injection engine?

Old 03-28-2013, 10:38 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
It's good you've got a 5 spd. Here's what I'd do.

Intake (6637 or tymar)
Exhaust (diamond eye or mbrp etc)
Gauges (autometer or isspro)
TS chip (lots of great tuners available)
Clutch (Valair)
Intercooler (6.0)
Dual hpops (terminator engineering)
Electric fuel (irate diesel, bar none, dieselsite or strictly diesel)
Hybrid injectors (rosewood diesel)
S400 frame turbo (irate diesel)

That should keep you busy

Old 03-28-2013, 10:43 PM
Logan "Mudflap"
New User
Yeah we thought mbrp that is what my dad has on his and it has a hydraulic clutch same as mine

Old 03-28-2013, 10:49 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Logan "Mudflap"
Yeah we thought mbrp that is what my dad has on his and it has a hydraulic clutch same as mine
You've got a dual mass fly wheel aka a ticking time bomb. You want big power you're both going to have to upgrade your clutch and you're going to need to switch to single mass flywheel.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:53 PM
Logan "Mudflap"
New User
Originally Posted by tshrager
You've got a dual mass fly wheel aka a ticking time bomb. You want big power you're both going to have to upgrade your clutch and you're going to need to switch to single mass flywheel.
Okay haha thats good advice

Old 03-28-2013, 11:21 PM
Logan "Mudflap"
New User
Thanks guys for all your help me and my dad are friggin grease monkeys but we have mainly worked on gas engines... I have a 76 ford f250 with a heavily modified 390 fe block v8 engine... Its a racing truck last year in my highschool this cummins guy was running his mouth about his 6bt cummins 12 valve that was almost completely stock saying it was so fast then he called my gas ford a peice of **** and he was bashing ford and all that and he wants to race... Little did he know that its crank was changed to a 410s crank and custom pistons and rods along with twin turbos and dual holley 4barrel carbuerators and glasspaks on the pipes and cold air intake... I beat him in a one mile race by a fairly long stretch of asphalt between us... Sorry i just had to brag i think i have braggin rights after that haha then i told him just like his truck he was just blowin hot smoke out of his mouth... Well now its completely restored thanks to my father likeing my high grades in highschool... Its got diamond plated runnin boards and covers and extra lights and i polished her up and turtle waxed everything shes a beautiful machine im gonna start driving it again... Haha maybe i can get some girls now it doesnt look so old hahahahaha that truck is loud it sets off car alarms all over the parking lot hahaha alright now im done im done ill always love ford

Quick Reply: Im new here