1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

buy any sheetmetal for the cab lately?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 09:16 PM
we287gn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buy any sheetmetal for the cab lately?

Looking to hear experiences with patch panels. I have already purchased rockers and cab corners from LMC. going after the section of the floor that abuts the rocker and lower rear door posts .I see lmc and bronco graveyard carry them .. might have a.lead on.a.stocker for one of the posts, but.will still need a drivers side and the outer floors.
Thanks

Old 02-27-2013, 01:17 AM
Mediarocker
Junior User
While I have no experience (yet) with LMC's patch panels, most panels come slightly oversized so you can trim them to fit. Sometimes however you will need to fabricate your own corners and other sheetmetal.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:00 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I replaced the pass side rocker on a 98 F150 3 door recently. Part came from LMC, $250 shipped. It fit fine, turned out really good.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:35 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 854 Likes on 772 Posts
Old 02-27-2013, 12:50 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I purchased a floor, rocker, cab corner and rear pillar from Tabco recently. (around Christmas)
The fit was good, they seem more than thick enough... and they were all stickered "Made in USA".
I called in my order and it only took a couple of days.

Quite happy!

Welcome to Tabco

Old 02-27-2013, 05:28 PM
Mediarocker
Junior User
I have an NPD catalogue around here somewhere. But if I remember correctly, they carry about the same sized patterns.

This keeps reminding me how I have to fix my rocker and door sill... and see how bad the damned rust is under the bondo floor.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:03 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

The really tough area is the floor back by the seatbelt, just inside the cab corner.
Most floors land short here and I just haven't seen a good patch available for that area.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:44 PM
Sw1tchfoot
Posting Guru
I bought a cab corner and rear fender panel from Raybuck, the prices are reasonable and the parts seem to have plenty of thickness. I have not installed them though.

Repair Panels-Ford - 1980-1986 Fullsize Bronco

Old 02-28-2013, 05:17 PM
we287gn
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mediarocker
While I have no experience (yet) with LMC's patch panels, most panels come slightly oversized so you can trim them to fit. Sometimes however you will need to fabricate your own corners and other sheetmetal.
I helped a friend do cab corners on his 96 F150, the stockers were sharper (more defined).. havnt heard much on the posts

Originally Posted by bashby
I replaced the pass side rocker on a 98 F150 3 door recently. Part came from LMC, $250 shipped. It fit fine, turned out really good.
Good to know, I need to do rockers on My 97 F150 as well..LOL

Thanks for the links, MAC's seemed to stop in the 70's parts, and NPD had most panels but not the inner posts..

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
I purchased a floor, rocker, cab corner and rear pillar from Tabco recently. (around Christmas)
The fit was good, they seem more than thick enough... and they were all stickered "Made in USA".
I called in my order and it only took a couple of days.

Quite happy!

Welcome to Tabco
Good to know about the thicker metal..I see they cover Buicks as well :-)

Originally Posted by Mediarocker
I have an NPD catalogue around here somewhere. But if I remember correctly, they carry about the same sized patterns.

This keeps reminding me how I have to fix my rocker and door sill... and see how bad the damned rust is under the bondo floor.
The really tough area is the floor back by the seatbelt, just inside the cab corner.
Most floors land short here and I just haven't seen a good patch available for that area.
I think the area you are speaking of is covered with a rocker replacement. the one I have has the reinforced area and threaded boss (nut) for the seat belt bolt.

Originally Posted by Sw1tchfoot
I bought a cab corner and rear fender panel from Raybuck, the prices are reasonable and the parts seem to have plenty of thickness. I have not installed them though.

Repair Panels-Ford - 1980-1986 Fullsize Bronco
Checked them out as well, parts seem to look like the others..Thanks for the link
MAybe I will go back to JBG for the other panels. Too bad, just ordered my radiator support brackets.. oh well
Just have to take a shot on that rear door post..
Thanks so much for the feedback gang

Old 02-28-2013, 05:26 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by we287gn
Thanks so much for the feedback gang
The bill will be in the mail.......

Old 02-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,681 Likes on 1,358 Posts

I think the area you are speaking of is covered with a rocker replacement. the one I have has the reinforced are and threaded boss (nut) for the seat belt bolt.

I am thinking not. They may be making something for this area now, I haven't been keeping up with any new parts they have been making for these trucks. But what you will need is part of the heavy "beam" or structure that supports the rear of the cab all the way across the back. This heavy structure supports the rear leg mount area for the seat, and is also what sits on the rear cab mounts. It supports the complete rear of the cab, and extends out to the rear cab corners. It's a serious piece of metal and when it rots out on the ends, there is really not good way to fix it unless they have a patch that will repair the end of this support.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:46 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

I think the area you are speaking of is covered with a rocker replacement. the one I have has the reinforced are and threaded boss (nut) for the seat belt bolt.
The bolt threads into the rocker, but the rear corner of the floor (inside) is not really a part of it.
You want me to take a picture?

Old 02-28-2013, 07:06 PM
we287gn
Senior User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
I am thinking not. They may be making something for this area now, I haven't been keeping up with any new parts they have been making for these trucks. But what you will need is part of the heavy "beam" or structure that supports the rear of the cab all the way across the back. This heavy structure supports the rear leg mount area for the seat, and is also what sits on the rear cab mounts. It supports the complete rear of the cab, and extends out to the rear cab corners. It's a serious piece of metal and when it rots out on the ends, there is really not good way to fix it unless they have a patch that will repair the end of this support.
I will have to look better at this, my cab is suffering at the ends of this rear brace as well as where it is attached to the rear wall..Really could use a new cab, but all I seam to find are 87+ cabs..not really in the mood for all that adapting at this point

The bolt threads into the rocker, but the rear corner of the floor (inside) is not really a part of it.
You want me to take a picture?
Ok I mis-read. I thought you were looking for the spot the belt bolted to.
If you feel like taking a picture for conversation sake, sure...I may be in the same boat seeing as that entire section is missing on my truck as well..

Old 02-28-2013, 07:32 PM
we287gn
Senior User
here is the damage on mine, I am going to take a wild guess and say the area your speaking of is missing on my truck as well..

Attached Images    
Old 02-28-2013, 07:40 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Yep.

All the floor pieces I've seen don't go farther than that hump by the back wall

Last edited by ArdWrknTrk; 03-01-2013 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Add photos

Quick Reply: buy any sheetmetal for the cab lately?