6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Most cost effective Engine monitoring options

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:11 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Most cost effective Engine monitoring options

Maybe gone are the days of having a big stack of gauges you glance at every once in awhile....

I'm mostly interested in doing things proactively to keep my truck running reliably, so I'm not interested in which tunes (unless we're talking music ) or tuner etc. folks like best. I've really just started looking into some sort of interface to the obdII/CAN plug and how to collect and/or display data that will show me something needs attention.

Right now, it seems to be if I know the absolute and delta of my Oil and Coolant Temps, that should be top priority. I could install a fuel pressure gauge, or it sounds like no harm in just doing the blue spring upgrade.

So, I can buy a bluetooth transmitter that will plug into the obdII port and send a signal to a laptop or my Droid for less than $14 that includes s/w for the laptop. I see the Torque app for the Droid is less than $5.

My question is: what have you guys tried and works for you and can I get by with something generic to give me the critical data that should be monitored?

Thanks and sorry if there's typo's -- it's cocktail time here....

Old 02-21-2013, 09:27 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
scangauge or torq app

Old 02-21-2013, 10:03 PM
Lilpooh
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep, if your already sporting a Android device, then your cheapest route would be Torque. The next lowest in price would be the ScanGaugeII, around $160 but can also be found on sale for a little cheaper. Then it would be DashBoss for iOS devices (Apple) at $170. After those, it gets more expensive $250 on up.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:18 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Thanks guys -- I think I'll start and order the bluetooth xmitter. At least I'l have something to read codes with....

Anything besides Fuel Pressure or maybe EGT that you feel is important that won't be accessible by a device connected in via the obdII port?

Data is good -- some folks would rather not know, but I've still got a bit of Boy Scout in me.

Thanks again!

Old 02-21-2013, 11:09 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dan the scan gauge will help on tranny temp when haulin those horses around,also eot and coolent

Old 02-22-2013, 12:13 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
I'm hoping trans temp is available to monitor -- I'm not educated enough yet on if scan gauge is a complete package (hardwired to the port to a head unit) or something that's just software?

Guess I need to do somemore readin'...

Thanks for the reply

Old 02-22-2013, 05:28 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the only thing the scan gauge will not read is EGT and fuel pressure.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:19 AM
karlsdash
Senior User
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Torque reads everthing like the scangauge, and is lots cheaper. Have to make a few changes, but everything works.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:20 AM
skidooman1990
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It also won't read "low side" oil pressure. Summer project for me will be a three gauge pillar for pyrometer, fuel pressure, and low side oil pressure. otherwise, I absolutely love the torque app. best $25 i ever spent.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:30 AM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im really not sure about the other devises , but the scan gauge is plug in port and add the xgauges then a set of 4 at a time will display you can scroll thru alot more to moniter ,when I haul I keep mine on trans ,eot, coolent,ficm. sometimes I'll change to batts and alt or economy fuel lord knows that diesel not getting any cheeper,but still better than a gasser lol P.S I have my gauge on the stering colom with the velcro all my readings are at the eye (not to far from road veiw) and a finger touch away( so I can run thru other sensers in a hurry)once you get all the running values it not a bad little gauge it also will scan codes with or with out the cell lite on. good luck in your chooseing.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:15 PM
Cowboy65
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
I'm hoping trans temp is available to monitor
The following parameters are available via the OBD ii port:

EOT, ECT, TFT, VGT%, RPM, IAT1, IAT2, MAF, MAFv, Boost, ICP, ICPv, IPR, EGR%, Calculated engine load, Absolute Throttle Position, Accelerator Pedal Position, Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure, Vehicle Speed, Injection Pulse Width, Trans Input Shaft Speed, Trans Output Shaft Speed, TCC Speed Ratio, Turbine Speed, Trans Commanded Gear, FICM main, FICM logic, FICM vehicle, Battery volts, Baro psi, Inject BTDC, EBPv, EBP psi, Fan rpm, Fan Duty Cycle, Instant power, Instant torque, Instant economy, TC slip, FICM/Cam/Crank SYNC.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:41 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by skidooman1990
It also won't read "low side" oil pressure. Summer project for me will be a three gauge pillar for pyrometer, fuel pressure, and low side oil pressure. otherwise, I absolutely love the torque app. best $25 i ever spent.
Where did you buy your Bluetooth OBD II plug?

Old 02-22-2013, 01:32 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by lakewood
Where did you buy your Bluetooth OBD II plug?
I don't know where skidooman1990 got his but I just bought one of the many on eBay. I went with one that was called a "super mini" as some of the normal sized ones looked pretty big. There are ones that do both USB and Bluetooth in case you want the option to go wired. I also chose based on what Newegg was carrying and one that included a CD with s/w since I might just see what I get off a laptop b4 I buy the Torque app for my droid.

on eBay I searched "obdII ELM327 Bluetooth" -- it was $13.68 incl. deliv. (and is translucent blue color). I'll report back once I get it -- hope it works!

By the way, there are some youtube vids on the Torque app on a Droid phone and also one I watched the guy had bought a cheap eBay OBDII Bluetooth unit and it seemed to work just fine...

Old 02-22-2013, 01:39 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Cowboy65
The following parameters are available via the OBD ii port:

EOT, ECT, TFT, VGT%, RPM, IAT1, IAT2, MAF, MAFv, Boost, ICP, ICPv, IPR, EGR%, Calculated engine load, Absolute Throttle Position, Accelerator Pedal Position, Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure, Vehicle Speed, Injection Pulse Width, Trans Input Shaft Speed, Trans Output Shaft Speed, TCC Speed Ratio, Turbine Speed, Trans Commanded Gear, FICM main, FICM logic, FICM vehicle, Battery volts, Baro psi, Inject BTDC, EBPv, EBP psi, Fan rpm, Fan Duty Cycle, Instant power, Instant torque, Instant economy, TC slip, FICM/Cam/Crank SYNC.
Thanks for that info Cowboy65 -- there's a number of those I don't have a clue as to what they are -- is the trans temp TFT? If not how are people getting that value? The bluetooth unit I ordered says it is CAN-bus capable Is there additional data there. How ignorant am I sounding ?!

Old 02-22-2013, 02:59 PM
karlsdash
Senior User
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
In the torque app (make sure you get professional) there import external ids or something, import the ford ones. Then its transmission fluid, and it will need edited, if you search you can find the answer

Quick Reply: Most cost effective Engine monitoring options