Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

dodge vs: Ford

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 09:49 PM
dodge2003
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on my second dodge had first dodge for 15 years. I bought dodge again for a few reasons: HEMI, recvd "good" crash test Ford rcvd "poor" results and chevy rcvd Marginal results, dodge has better warranty, And I liked the test drive the best. Let me say That the ford was my second choice chevy not even close. The ford was very good but I think dodge has a better frame and engine. I have the 2500 reg cab 8' box.

Old 05-30-2003, 09:54 PM
mikemc
Elder User

I like the Dodge trucks, especially the Cummins diesel. I have two friends who own full size Dodge ex-cab 4x4's and their only complaint is lousy fuel mileage. But my budget requires that I drive compact trucks and the Ranger IMHO is tops among compacts.

Old 05-30-2003, 09:58 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So what reason did you come to a Ford site ?

I certainly hope it isn't to rattle the troops.

FTE Posting Guideline's

Isn't there a Dodge web site ?

Old 05-30-2003, 10:12 PM
number55
Junior User

I know there are no "emotional threads" here,but I was a loyal
dodge owner for 15 years....Dodges are just not put together as
well as fords,and they just cant get the engine/transmission
combinations right.....how do i know????? i spent 2 years wasting
my time trying to work with dodge to get my 2000 dakota
to shift right...oh we flashed the tcm a few dozen times,after
reprograming it twice.....the tranny finally went after 38,000 mi!!!!
the 2001 F-150 4.6 is twice the truck the dakota was. and that
is an undisputed fact. and yes dodge has many websites one of which is dodge dakota.com and again compared to FTE is substandard......sorry about the half pint rant,but the truth is the truth............................................. .......

Old 05-30-2003, 11:06 PM
dodge2003
New User

I was just stating my opinion you're welcome in dodge site. I am always learning and I'm not trying to get anyone upset. I did say ford was good too!

Old 05-30-2003, 11:23 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Excellent!

I just have to ask, since it was your first post *Right after you registered*.

We are very popular with the neighbors

Welcome to FTE!

Old 05-30-2003, 11:32 PM
dman01
Senior User

I know a site that will be a DODGE/FORD?CHEVY site here soon. I will give you guys a link when it changes to this. Then we can all be called trolls together . Should be a nice site I just hope we can all get along as civil humans that I know we all are.

Old 05-31-2003, 01:20 AM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a chance that the new dodge trucks might be good but there is going to have to be a period of excellence before I would recommend anyone touch one. THey used to be great. In recent years they have lackluster to say the least.

Old 05-31-2003, 01:32 AM
number55
Junior User

Believe me you did not get me upset.......Dodge is a junk product
Chevys arent bad I personally dont like the way they drive handling wise. I had the 4.7 in the Dakota,not a bad motor but
it isnt the 5.2 318cu. dodge took a dive in 1998 and i dont think
they have or will recover,in my case they put out a few TSB'S
but didnt have the guts to recall the junk they put in the 2000
Dak's,you may not want to upset anyone , but getting on a site like this were folks know better is a lost cause....losts of luck
mister dodge man.....i've been there done that.....PS let me know
how your front end is in about 20,000 mi......might be alittle loose........PS.............Forever dodge owners fall into the JIM JONES
realm without the Koolaid.............dave

Old 05-31-2003, 05:58 AM
High_Velocity
New User

number55, is it safe to assume that the bashing of Dodge that you do is based on fact and an immense amount of knowledge of the Dodge line-up ? OR, is it more likely that you were the unfortunate owner of a lemon ? Because if that is the case, you should realize that there are lemons in every brands' line-up. Over the last fifteen years, I've owned and worked on (I'm a mechanic) all three brands of American-built trucks. Every one of them has their weaknesses. I once owned an old Bronco that was bullet-proof, but then, so was my '95 Jeep and my '99 Dodge diesel.My 2000 Chev Silverado had a few minor issues, but definitely not worth getting upset over. The point I'm trying to make, is making statements like "Dodge is a junk product" is no more true than saying Fords or Chevs are junk. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. If Fords and Chevs were never breaking down, then why do all the dealerships have mechanics making a decent living doing warranty repairs ???

Old 05-31-2003, 08:37 AM
Flash
Posting Guru

Number 55, I was also a victim of the 2000 Dakota and you are right, they are junk. In 30,000 miles and after 3 rear axles, PCM, transmission, more rain inside than out, brakes, ball joints, and the fact that Dodge kept the truck more than me because there are no parts, I won't ever have another one. Neither will my nephew who was a victim with a Durango, yet another "quality" piece. I also took a major "bath" on it when I traded it in as nobody wants a used Dodge. I can say that a friend bought a 2003 Quad Cab with the 4.7 and so far it has been reliable but eats gas bad compared to my SCrew. I get better town mileage than he does on the hiway. It also requires a tuneup at 35,000 miles and the dealer here charges $285.00 because there are 2 plugs per cylinder. Add the required transmission oil change and axle fluids at 30,000 miles and it adds up to an expensive truck to properly maintain.

Old 05-31-2003, 08:58 AM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres my whole take on it. I'd rather have a Ford than a Chevy, and rather have a Chevy than a Dodge. However, as far as I can tell, they all make decent trucks, and are all doing a relatively good job, some better than others. Lets put our voice where it belongs, against foreign made vehicles.

Old 05-31-2003, 02:51 PM
dman01
Senior User

Nobody buys used Dodges I have never bought a Dodge truck with less than 50k miles on it. Every one has more than 100k one is at 180l with no problems. I have put new brakes on them a few times but when your pulling trailers w/o brakes then you tend to use brakes faster. I have had 4 recalls on two of my trucks which were a 94 and a 98. I hade them all done but none of them were really bad things that could have killed me. worst thing was the secondary hood latch that would get stuck if it got rusty. well I had mine changed at 120k and could not tell a difference. the second one was a wire that I don't even know what happens to and I never had that one done yet maybe it will bite me in the butt but 130k and still rolling. 3rd one was the throttle cable. The end would sometimes wear and pop off. If you don't have a lead foot then you are fine. Me I have a lead foot and there is only two spots were my pedal is to the floor or at rest never inbetween. 4th one was a recall on the front spring tower that made it stiffer. Don't know why I did that recall it also made the ride stiffer a little. well there you have it brakes oil and filters plus the above on a 94 Dodge which was the first on the 2nd generation Truck body.
I'm happy

Old 05-31-2003, 03:27 PM
DainBramage
Posting Guru

Originally posted by High_Velocity
number55, is it safe to assume that the bashing of Dodge that you do is based on fact and an immense amount of knowledge of the Dodge line-up ?

I'm with the new guy. Would I give my Ranger up for a Dak, no freakin way.. Now, do I think that my friend's new SWB Hemi Ram 4x4 is junk? Heck no. It's one of the most powerful, best handling trucks I've driven yet. It has towed a few things (including my truck recently when it threw a carrier bearing...), and pulls like a champ (which I had my doubts on with the nature of this engine).

The Dak's have some problems.. No doubt. That doesn't make the entire auto company junk, does it? If so, let me tell ya what I think of a few Ford's that are (IMO) junk.. Nahh.

Old 05-31-2003, 08:37 PM
chperry
Senior User

I might consider a dodge someday, IF they ever find a company to build an automatic transmission for them. They sure have forgotten how. It is a shame to. You couldn't break an old TorqueFlight 727 if you wanted (and I tried for years), but the new trannies are junk. That is across the line, not just trucks. We had tons of the dodge minvans at the utility I worked for. They always won the low bid. We were constantly putting in new transmissions. My sister has an LHS with tranny problems. My dad bought mom a new Caravan last year and the tranny is acting up. My uncle has a late 90s model 2wd pickup and it still likes the repair shop more than his driveway. Mostly tranny problems. My brother has had his Dakotas tranny worked on once. It is a 98 or 99. Do you see a pattern here?

I shoot with a guy who is a die hard dodge driver. He has a 3/4 ton diesel. Even he says you would be a fool to buy a dodge with an automatic.

Charles

Quick Reply: dodge vs: Ford