Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I owe DP an open apology

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 06:39 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I owe DP an open apology

Many of you have been following what has been dubbed "The Adventures of Stinky" and I appreciate the well-wishing, input, parts, and wrenching I've received from everybody on FTE. I couldn't have done it without you... and maybe I should be a little pissed about that, because I never would have tried it without your support.

I started with DP-Tuner over 18 months ago and I've always appreciated their friendly (and timely) customer service and my ability to receive emailed files on my F6. When it came time to order more powerful injectors, I chose to "stick" with DP because of their customer service, plus I already had the chip, and the needed modifications to my existing tunes are free when I purchase through them. My new tunes were not perfection on the day I received them, but I didn't expect to get that anyway with the substantial modifications to the truck that I had done.

Jody and I worked hard on dialing my tunes... I had a lot of them. Basically, what we were doing was a live-tuning by proxy. I provide data and seat-of-the-pants feedback, and Jody tunes and emails them to me. It would have been much faster with a live-tuning session, but our schedules and locations didn't support that. We were making progress, but there were things going on that couldn't be resolved. Sparing you the 5-month drama (Stinky is still in the garage as of this writing)... I couldn't determine if the tunes weren't getting it done, if the remanned injectors from a reputable rebuilder were acting up, if I stumbled on the stick 'stall, or if Stinky was rejecting the transplant.

During all of this confusion, an event occurred under the hood during my much-anticipated (and needed) vacation - 700 miles from home. After spending my entire vacation in a hotel room or in search of mechanics (Thanksgiving week), I lost it. I lost my patience, as well as my composure... and I fired all the hardware fore and aft of the firewall before anybody knew it was happening. I then did something out of character for me; I posted negative feedback openly on the forum without giving DP the opportunity to help me sort out my Powerstroke woes. While I'm not changing from my current choices, I demonstrated terrible manners to my friends at DP after all their hard work... they were sucker-punched by a customer they were fully supporting. This was unfair to DP and I now regret handling it the way I did. I wanted to set the record straight and I won't be dissing DP openly again.

As it turned out, I later learned most of my woes on my vacation (but not all) were a direct result of poor injector installation practices on my part. I mention this because those who read this may find it useful when they have a problem with a purchased product... sometimes factors beyond the vendor's control sabotage the results. I had to dig deep to find all my problems... and there were many.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:02 AM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(I'm not a DP customer)
I'm not surprised to read this from you. I always thought of you as a stand up guy. (For some) It takes a lot to "man up" and apologize the way you did - Thanks Rich.

-Aaron

Old 02-16-2013, 07:26 AM
jspence105
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are forgiven! If you can show me someone who hasn't lost his/her cool at some point I be shocked. You took the high road and apologized something VERY few people would have done.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:39 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Well put Rich. Considering how it turned out, tuning did not end up being the issue. I look forward to you enjoying your truck the way you should be.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:53 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I must have missed THAT diatribe. I have always thought you handled your issues, especially regarding tuners, with incredible respect. Most would have jumped ship a long time ago. Just shows how incredibly complex getting these trucks right can be. DP has and still does things well for the majority of users, and the reason we go with custom tuning is because of the service provided. Job well done Tugly .

Last edited by trekbasso; 02-16-2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: edited quote. wrong one.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:30 PM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 474 Likes on 326 Posts
Thanks for your continued "Tuglyness" the honest assessments of the situation are always helpful, and we've come to expect that from you. I agree DP works hard to help us. It will be interesting to see what my current issues with the F6 in my truck turn out to be. I know Jody and James will work to get it right.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:36 PM
tpull3
Junior User
Outstanding Rich. It takes a special person to admit a mistake and apoligize openly. Honesty and integrity, you certainly have those qualities. We should all be proud to have you as one of the brotherhood. Best of luck with Stinky.

Tom
2003 F350 4x4 Lariat CCSB SRW, Autometer Z Series Gauges, 4"Diamond EyeTB,
JWVB, 6.0Trans cooler, 6637, F5 DP Tuner, HPX, IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, Foil Delete, WW, Airlift Rear Bags, Zoodad, Recon LED Cab Lights, GPR-LED, 05 Mirrors, Upper Rad. Hose, Leveling Kit

Old 02-17-2013, 08:17 PM
MauleOne
Elder User
DP

Nice work Tugly.

My truck ran like crap before I had DP put tunes on it and it still runs like crap. When I get time to work on it I am sure that DP will provide support.

I had to haul this truck all the way from Fairbanks,AK to Washington on a trailer because I could not get it to run in cold weather. Even had to buy another truck to tow it home with.

Talk about stuborn. I take the cake. It would have been cheaper to have set it on fire and collected the insurance.

But now it is in my shop and when I get off this work shift I will be on the horn to DP trying to explain my woes.

Thanks again for being standup.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:57 PM
joeyd61
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tpull3
Outstanding Rich. It takes a special person to admit a mistake and apoligize openly. Honesty and integrity, you certainly have those qualities. We should all be proud to have you as one of the brotherhood. Best of luck with Stinky.

Tom
2003 F350 4x4 Lariat CCSB SRW, Autometer Z Series Gauges, 4"Diamond EyeTB,
JWVB, 6.0Trans cooler, 6637, F5 DP Tuner, HPX, IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, Foil Delete, WW, Airlift Rear Bags, Zoodad, Recon LED Cab Lights, GPR-LED, 05 Mirrors, Upper Rad. Hose, Leveling Kit

X2----Good Job Rich...

Old 02-17-2013, 10:04 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
MauleOne
If it ran like carp before you installed a chip why do you think that DP, or anyone else for that matter, can help you. It's ust like any other computer - Crap in = Crap out

Old 02-17-2013, 11:12 PM
sand_fiend
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I feel Ya rich. I too at work sometimes jump down the guys throat's to find out i gave them the wrong info. Some times you just got to eat a little crow, but in the long run they respect you more because you can admit your faults..
Im sure Jody was shocked at first but he is also a bigger man to let it all go..

That just go's to show how much we are like a big family here. Most of us can blow up and make up after a little cool down time. Some can't.. you get use to talking on line with members that become your friends, Then you talk to them on line like family because the names are familiar too you and Bedded in you memory

Old 02-18-2013, 08:34 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Tugly.... to really make things (right?) to be more of inline with the situation, you will need to go back and on every past post you wrote something of issues with DP, you will have to put in a 'disclaimer/ correction' at the bottom of each post. Removing your posts will not be good enough, because a lot of people responded to your posts and it will cause a massive amount of confusion. I do not run a DP Tuner, but it seems that DP tried to work with you...... Stinky did not.....

Blessings to you for stepping forward and publicly talking about this in front of everyone.

To err is human, to admit it is something my wife would expect me to do.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Kamstutz
Senior User
XXit happens....we are human and in the heat of frustration and stress we make mistakes. What make us better is admitting those mistakes, learning from them and moving on. The old stress level meter goes atomic when we go out of our way to purchase and do the right things and then it all goes to crap...Such is life, good thing we have Fords with 7.3's!!!!

Old 02-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Brother Les
Tugly.... to really make things (right?) to be more of inline with the situation, you will need to go back and on every past post you wrote something of issues with DP, you will have to put in a 'disclaimer/ correction' at the bottom of each post. Removing your posts will not be good enough, because a lot of people responded to your posts and it will cause a massive amount of confusion.
I plan to do this as soon as I have enough time to go on safari through all my posts. I am such a blabbertexter, that it will take a bit of time to locate the few outbursts.

Thank you all for the positive feedback, I just hope that DP receives as much good will as Stinky and I have.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:17 AM
trekbasso
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
I plan to do this as soon as I have enough time to go on safari through all my posts. I am such a blabbertexter, that it will take a bit of time to locate the few outbursts.

Thank you all for the positive feedback, I just hope that DP receives as much good will as Stinky and I have.
I wouldn't worry too much about it, we should be capable enough to figure things out, or we shouldn't be doing this stuff.
However, is there any truth to Joe wanting to cut your fingers off for printing the apology?

Quick Reply: I owe DP an open apology