6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Radiator advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 06:08 PM
oldschool888
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiator advice

im in the process of replaceing my radiator for my 2008 f250 6.4 diesel and i do not want to put the same problem back in,Would like to use a one piece radiator without plastic endcaps.any suggestions.tx

Old 02-10-2013, 06:36 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Have you looked at the tsb for leaking radiators?

Old 02-10-2013, 08:17 PM
oldschool888
New User
yes i have and there is one ,but two dealers and many corporate calls later im worn out with it.they wont honor there work,so im getting a new radiator myself,along with other required parts and getting the job done.but as i said i dont want the same problem,so im going aftermarket,but would prefer a one piece unit ,welded not capped with plastic ends and seals,looking for advice on a good radiator,,tx

Old 02-11-2013, 10:55 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel forum.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:19 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Vista Pro makes an aftermarket one. I don't know of anyone that has a failure once it is put on.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:11 AM
oldschool888
New User
tx,thats one that im looking at.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:54 PM
my250wasstolen
New User
GREAT News!!!

I've been searching like CRAZY today to find this info! Long story short, I have an 08 450 with a leaking radiator that has had various cooling issues before with one radiator & one water pump(actually 2 because dealer said 2nd was "weeping") & various "updated" hoses, etc replaced under warranty. Out of my 5 year(but only 65k miles) powertrain now so now it is on my "dime"(I mean $1000's...) so I thought there had to be a better solution than the OEM "updated" unit.

Searched but only found one made by Vista Pro which what I seen was recommended & also one by Performance Radiator at a very fair price of $650. They both have plastic tanks & appear very similar to the OEM. They are probably fine pieces but that is not what I want! These aluminium/PLASTIC hybrids(or full plastic) rads are fine for pass cars but IMHO have no place in a HD truck. Now mind you they are older(10+ yrs) so it my not still be true now but our HD vocational(56kish gvw) trucks have fully welded aluminium rads & guess what? No problems, (combined) 500k miles & 47k hours & counting...

The reason for this post(actually bringing up an older one of the same content) is this. I wanted a solid uniform(brass, copper, aluminium, whatever) piece that I would not have to have custom built($2k+...).

Just spoke to a Mishimoto rep(Pat) that said the their 6.4L rad's will be available next week! As it says on their site, they will be $855. To be clear, before today I had never heard of them. I had a lowered MX-6 on 17's in the mid 90's(for that time, unique..) but have not kept up with sport compact trends since then. It's great(was)to be young...

Sure this may be old news to some but I was gonna post my "dilemma" anyway so thought I'd share this good news. Might be shooting myself in the foot but will put up the link to the page below... I NEED a new rad now!!!

Ford 6.4L Powerstroke Aluminum Radiator, 2008-2010, by Mishimoto

Old 08-23-2013, 05:05 PM
cuda66
Senior User
If you can hold off a week, i wold by the Mishimoto...looks like a fnatastic piece...the damn OEM rads are too much money for what they are....

Old 08-24-2013, 05:17 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
^ Ive developed a leak as well from my rad. I will be replacing with the mishi'.
My dealer told me it wast covered too btw...

Old 08-24-2013, 06:40 PM
cuda66
Senior User
Its really a shame that they wont cover the rads...warranty or other as it is truly a manufacturers deffect. Even if Ford at least covered the part i'm sure everyone would be happy to pay the labor...

I too am regretting the day i have to do the one on the truck i just bought...i know its had at least one...but i can assure you it will be a solid core/tank rad a la Mishi.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:47 PM
Romans
New User
My250, Thank you for information regarding the solid core rad w/o plastic end caps. I guess you could say that "I too, am stranded in a canoe along poo-creek with no paddle". My '08 has 136K and amazingly, this is the first time it's developed a leaking problem with the radiator. The hoses + thermostats were upgraded a year ago. It goes without saying that you typically hear about the bad ones. However, there are few out there that have managed to squeeze by without any problems. I just contacted my local dealership only to learn that they will only install the factory OEM rad. I share the same concern as many here; I would prefer to make that major purchase once and have it last for awhile! I haven't decided either way but simply reading several blogs and just doing my research before diving in head first.

I learned that Modine radiators are a preferred choice of one of my local independent shops. But, I've never heard of that brand before speaking with the shop owner. If anyone has any experience with that brand I would appreciate your feedback.

I plan to contact the Mish dealer to inquire about their solid core to see what the lead time is for getting one.

Thank you again for posting your information!

Old 08-27-2013, 11:23 PM
cuda66
Senior User
Romans... Modine is a reputable company...we use them in the equipment we build. The reason i'm going to go with a Mishi when needed is i want aluminum with solid tanks....Modine may be able to deliver the same but i would need to compare apples with apples when the time comes.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Romans
New User
Cuda66...Thank you for your quick reply back. I just heard from the Mish dealer and their lead time for this rad is within 1-2weeks from now. It appears that they provide rads for some other year models. But, I guess this particular rad we need is new production for them. My only concern is how their unit will truly interface with all of the hardware under our hoods....it seems more complicated than the average bear. Given that Ford's idea for an upgrade appeared to be adding a venturi tee on the degass box and modifying the connection points of the hoses, I can't imagine why they didn't tackle the rad....as part of that upgrade. Interestingly, I confirmed last night that the venturi upgrade had been added to my truck. I'm uncertain which Job number it is. I'll take a closer look later. This may be the reason. I read earlier that some dealers made that modification prior to selling their trucks. Perhaps this was also part of the TSB!?!?

Anyway, it will get resolved!

Old 09-23-2013, 04:19 PM
HorseLiving
New User
4th Radiator

Hello,

Not sure if this is where to post. I am also having radiator problems. I have read about he o-ring and the hoses have never been an issue for me.

My first radiator somehow got a hole through it and was replaced after only 10k miles under warranty.

My 2nd radiator lasted over 100k and then after a long hard haul (2000k round trip with climbs and a 12000lb trailer) that one gave way.

My 3rd radiator I had to pay full cost as the truck was out of warranty. This one ended up being defective.

My 4th radiator has lasted about 20k miles and is now leaking from the same point that the 3rd one did. The radiator manufacturer gives a 1yr warranty, but unfortunately I am at 1yr and 2wks and so now I have no coverage.

My question is, should I just replace it myself this time and not go through a ford mechanic? I have not been going through ford since #3 & 4 were put in, but he is certified through ford and so charges their prices (which is outrageous).

I cant believe I will be on radiator No. 5 and am not sure if this new one will do me any good. Any advice would be great.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:56 PM
Romans
New User
Welcome onboard HorseLiving! After much debate about which brand to purchase, shop to use and meanwhile, the clock was ticking I chose to go with the OEM rad installed by a local dealership. They've performed most all of the warrenty maintenance on my company 2006 F150 gas since it was new and I've never had to return it for the same issue. Ironically, the local smaller shop mech wanted a few dollars less than the dealer plus, they didn't won't to tie up a solid 5-6hrs working on it because as one shop confessed, they would loose money covering more veh during that same period. Instead, they wanted to keep my F250 for two days. My choice became clearer as I narrowed my options. One improvement that seems to draw the same consenus is having the hoses (3) along with venturi T changed. Apparently, this was an upgrade chosen over modifying the rads!?!? Anyway, this rad repair was approx $900. I had the some other smaller items replaced since it was conveniently in the shop. I pull a tandem axle 22ft Airstream trailer (apprx #5500 lbs) and everything appears to be fine. In prior messages, there was talk about a different brand of rad. As I may have mentiond above, the lead time for that product was a few weeks out. I couldn't wait that long. But I'm going to research the sucess of that product just in case I need a backup unit later. I hope this helps in some capcity. Best wishes!

Quick Reply: Radiator advice