6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

What is Rev-X and why does my 6.0 need it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 05:44 PM
ChrisAU
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is Rev-X and why does my 6.0 need it?

I see a lot of people adding Rev-X during oil changes. What is it and what does it do? Should I be using it? Seems expensive but if it's a great product I don't object to using it.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:48 PM
GeneLaw1
More Turbo
I used it to help with the stiction I was getting at start-up. Supposed to help turbo spool up but I did not really notice it. Check out their website too...

About | REV-X Products, Inc.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:11 AM
ChrisAU
Senior User
Thanks. Just wondering if its worth an extra $66 an oil change?

Old 01-29-2013, 07:27 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Most of us have tried it to help cure an injector stiction issue. It didn't help me any and I personally saw no benefit from it. The best thing you can do for your injectors is install the "blue spring" kit, use a good synthetic 5w-40 oil, and change it every 5k miles.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:29 AM
Fulthrotl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
I see a lot of people adding Rev-X during oil changes. What is it and what does it do? Should I be using it? Seems expensive but if it's a great product I don't object to using it.
"What is Rev-X and why does my 6.0 need it?"

rev-x is a product made for a profit, claiming many benefits.
the main reason you should be using it is so they can make money.

it's biggest claim to fame is reduction of stiction.
my thought is that if i'm running 5W-40 rotella T6,
i'm dumping $80 into the crankcase ever 5,000 miles,
and that is quite enough. the cost benefit ratio would
be far exceeded for any advantage offered by this product,
real or imagined.

in my not so humble opinion, that is.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:29 AM
KC Excursion
New User
My actual experience:

1) I have the classic cold stiction issue. The truck runs really rough (it misses, stumbles and sounds wrong) from 1800-2100 RPM while the Engine and Coolant temps are below 100. At which point it slowly gets better and is gone around 150 degrees.

Solutions
1) Synthetic Oil 5W-40. The largest improvement was gained by this change, that was 30k ago. I prefer the Mobil 1.
2) 25k ago I tried the hot-shot product. No noticeable change
3) 5k ago I tried the Rev-X product, 2 bottle treatment. It improved the issue, didn't solve it, but it was better. The stumble was still there but the amount of stumble was less.
4) New oil change last week, I really think the Rev-X product effects are gone. The stumble seems to be back as usual.

In my case, I just let the truck idle for 3-5 minutes before driving and by the time I get to the highway and need the higher RPM's the temps are up and the problem is gone.

Eventually the injectors will have to be addressed, but a little idle time in cold weather has solved the problem for the last 30k.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:37 AM
ChrisAU
Senior User
Thanks guys, think I'll pas for now. My truck doesn't like really cold starts (20-30* F around here), but the only time that really applies to me is a few days during hunting season, which is now over. I'm going to 5W-40 T6 in the next week or so, so we'll see how that helps too.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 AM
icemann21
Senior User
Originally Posted by KC Excursion
My actual experience:

1) I have the classic cold stiction issue. The truck runs really rough (it misses, stumbles and sounds wrong) from 1800-2100 RPM while the Engine and Coolant temps are below 100. At which point it slowly gets better and is gone around 150 degrees.

Solutions

.... I tried the hot-shot product. No noticeable change

.... It improved the issue, didn't solve it, but it was better. The stumble was still there but the amount of stumble was less.

New oil change ....

In my case, I just let the truck idle for 3-5 minutes before driving and by the time I get to the highway and need the higher RPM's the temps are up and the problem is gone.

Eventually the injectors will have to be addressed, but a little idle time in cold weather has solved the problem for the last 30k.
I have not tried the Rev X, however I have tried the hot-shot- products. It did make the injector noice slightly quiter, and the start-up a little easier. But I do agree, it is just money down the drain as mine is only an intermitent single injector issue that I am going to soon address. However the truck runs just fine and has for about the last 15k. I don't run synthetic oil as personally I do not like it. But I will say this... I don't believe that any addative out there weather it be Rev X, Hot- Shots, or any other is going to do anything more than put money into the manufactures pockets. However with proper maintenance and knowledge othe the 6.0L they will treat you right and last a long time. And believe me if it wasn't for me just moving across the U.S. I would have just replaced that injector 15K miles ago. But it would last another 15K as it only effects start - up about 1 out every 5 and under 100 degrees. Or after you have been driving the truck for a few hours, it will effect idle intermittently, about 2 out of 5 times.
You can make your own choice on addadtives. I am not saying that it didn't help at all; maybe it did, maybe it didn't. But it was not a solution as the claims state. Me I am just going to replace the injector soon (preventative maintenance) and stick to just oil and keep the $65-80 extra in my pocket.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by KC Excursion
My actual experience:

Solutions
1) Synthetic Oil 5W-40. The largest improvement was gained by this change, that was 30k ago. I prefer the Mobil 1.
2) 25k ago I tried the hot-shot product. No noticeable change
3) 5k ago I tried the Rev-X product, 2 bottle treatment. It improved the issue, didn't solve it, but it was better. The stumble was still there but the amount of stumble was less.
4) New oil change last week, I really think the Rev-X product effects are gone. The stumble seems to be back as usual.

Have you tested your Ficm?

Old 01-29-2013, 11:11 AM
GeneLaw1
More Turbo
I used Rev-x for a couple oil changes when I was getting the dealer oil changes. I have now switched to Rotella T6. I get better results with the T6 and no Rev-x than I did with 15w-40 and two (2) rev-x bottles.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:36 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 1,001 Posts
Short answers:
1. Snake oil

2. It doesn't

Old 01-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Cant say for sure if it helps or not, not enough use by me to know personally. Like anything else some will claim it helps other will laugh at it. My BIL does swear by it and he is rough on his trucks, so there is one that says it works. There is another product out there archoil and it is 1/2 the price for the same effects! Anyhow to add or not is a personal choice, just like asking a towing group if you 1 should own a ford 6.0, 2. put in a programmer or anything else. Only you you can make a reasonable decision and only after you try it. I run a oil bypass kit and the filter gets changed every other oil change at $35 a pop (amsoil filter) . Is it worth it or the initial investment? I figure it is, but there were other threads like yours asking about adding one and replies were similar in response some said yes some said no! I also run the T6 now, tried the amsoil stuff results are about the same with both, but again that can start a brand argument so its all up to you in the end.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:54 AM
val christie
New User
rev x sorta works!

On my wife's 2006 f250 6.0l it has a cold start problem. I bought 2 tiny jars of rev x and put them in at oil change. 10w/30 synthetic. Seemed like it started better for about a week, then slowly got back to rough start up. Just changed oil again @5k miles 10w/30 synthetic and engine stumbles and sometimes won't start for 4 -7 tries. Plugged it in for two hours and it starts like brand new. I don't think I will buy more rev x..

Old 02-11-2013, 07:31 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by BPofMD
Short answers:
1. Snake oil

2. It doesn't
I beg to differ...

Old 02-11-2013, 07:46 AM
ChrisAU
Senior User
Well guys it did WONDERS for my stiction problems. Took a piece of ***** truck when oil temps were below 120* and polished it right up to where it runs great no matter the temp, did it quickly too.

Quick Reply: What is Rev-X and why does my 6.0 need it?