1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Ripped off by Midwest Early Ford

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 09:56 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Skalywag
why is it that you can get a shipping quote instantly on ebay, but suppliers can't seem to get one in an hour.?
Because you are only ordering one specific thing on eBay.

If you order a dozen little clips that cost $20 from a vendor, plus a head gasket set that costs $75, plus a water pump that costs $100, how can you figure the shipping? The clips are small, potentially fit in an envelope; the head gaskets are thin but long and wide; the water pump heavy and needs a more-or-less cubical box. It could take three boxes, or one really big one. Do you want the water pump bouncing against the head gaskets in the same box? Probably not. Not even a computer could figure out all the possibilities.

There are an infinite number of combinations of parts that could be ordered. Unless they assume each piece gets its own box, I don't see how they can do anything but use a percentage of total order cost, based on past experience.

My bitch with many of them is that they use a large enough box to include their catalog and a bunch of GEICO flyers. I got a 2" gauge cup from Summit that came in a box 10" x 12" x 16". 90% air.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:09 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since the topic is here....

I bought some bed parts (bed strips and crossmembers) from these guys at the F100 nationals in Pigeon Forge this year. I asked if they had parts for my '65 F100 bed and he said yes...gave me the parts and took my money.

When I got home, the parts were not for a '65. The crossmembers were totally wrong and the bed strips didn't line up. I figured out that the parts were for 53-56 F100's since I have a '56.

I finally got a hold of them and they said they don't sell the parts for a '65 and so they couldn't send them to me. They were going to take them back, but I would have to ship them...

I got lucky since I have a '56 and I can use them for that later, so I just kept them and then spent another couple hundred to get the right parts from Mar K.

Their lack of product knowledge seems to be confirmed.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:19 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shipping has become a big issue in commerce these days. I am sick of companies that charge big bucks to ship UPS/Fedex instead of USPS. I recently ordered 4 special plastic ***** from McMaster. The parts cost me $5.30. They promptly shipped the package out UPS for $11.85! The package was in a softpack and could have shipped out via USPS for $2.45. So many companies refuse to ship Priority mail when it could ship for $5.95. I am no big fan of the post office but the extra cost to ship with UPS is crazy. Also the "residential" surcharge and fuel surcharge is garbage. Half of the time now Fedex takes the package and then hands it off to the post office to finish the delivery. Crazy..

Old 07-18-2014, 03:40 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by teardropty
Shipping has become a big issue in commerce these days. I am sick of companies that charge big bucks to ship UPS/Fedex instead of USPS. I... Crazy..
I totally agree. What boggles my mind is that I can get something sent from China (buying from Ebay) cheaper than I can send something across country. Since they both involve the US post office, maybe somebeody can explain that one to me?

Old 07-18-2014, 03:49 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would try to explain the USPS for you as I my business involved mailing about 4 million magazines a month but I think you would go postal by the end of the explanation. Let's just say its FUBAR !!

Old 07-18-2014, 04:27 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by 49f3dls
I would try to explain the USPS for you as I my business involved mailing about 4 million magazines a month but I think you would go postal by the end of the explanation. Let's just say its FUBAR !![/
Are you saying something the government is involved with doesn't work?!! Man, wouldn't it be scary if the government ran more things? Oh yeah, right.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:44 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Are you saying something the government is involved with doesn't work?!! Man, wouldn't it be scary if the government ran more things? Oh yeah, right.

WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT. WE'RE HERE TO HELP.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:55 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc

WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT. WE'RE HERE TO HELP.

I feel much better now!

Old 07-19-2014, 04:58 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by carnut122
I totally agree. What boggles my mind is that I can get something sent from China (buying from Ebay) cheaper than I can send something across country. Since they both involve the US post office, maybe somebeody can explain that one to me?
"Subsidization"

Old 07-19-2014, 07:45 PM
mytbtruck
Laughing Gas
What really gets to me is if you order a part and they sub something that is totally different from what you order. Call them and they say ship it back for a refund. You have to pay the shipping and sometimes it will be almost as much if you just threw the part away.Ordered a compressor last month for a ref. What I needed was a 1/3 hp 1160 btu but they subed a 1/5 hp 660 btu and told me it would work. Paid 20 dollars shipping to get it and 20 dollars to send it back. Bad business in my opinion. We all get ripped off sometime but most of the time I do alright ordering online.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:45 AM
doctor-h
New User
I don't usually respond to the posts although I do enjoy reading them. I did read a few things on this post I would like to respond to. I know the frustration you guys feel when you receive the wrong parts. This is an expensive hobby and can be trying a times. As a vendor (Classic Haulers) I try to be as informative as possible as to which parts are a modification and which are considered bolt on. I do not sell Griffin Radiators as they do not bolt to the original saddle. I do sell a 4 row copper and brass that does bolt on. Now for my real reason for posting.
To my friend Alburq F-1. I do know the Bonus Built, that is what we do, I, like you learn something new each day. And yes I do know what radiator bolts on to the original saddle. I AM NOT Mid Fifty. Mid Fifty was founded, built and is owned by my sister, Who I might add is well respected and probably the most knowledgeable person on the 53-56 F-100. I founded, built and own Classic Haulers. Please do a little research before you make these statements. I am very proud of my little mom and pop operation and take offense when this happens. We strive to provide the best service and information we can. No vendor is perfect. I have researched these trucks extensively and continue to do so. My goal is to offer as many restoration parts as possible, and as much helpful and accurate information as I can.

Respectfully
Candis

Old 08-07-2014, 11:55 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Undoubtedly, but does she know all the details of Bonus Built trucks, down to the level of detail of the radiator has the mounting flange for the stock shrouds? Until recently, they didn't even sell 48-52 parts, they were Mid-Fifties. Nothing against them, but I doubt they know all the nuances of any of the years. I learn something new about our trucks almost every day on here.

Then there's LMC, I don't think anyone there would recognize a Bonus Built truck if it ran them over.
Originally Posted by doctor-h
To my friend Alburq F-1. I do know the Bonus Built, that is what we do, I, like you learn something new each day. And yes I do know what radiator bolts on to the original saddle. I AM NOT Mid Fifty. Mid Fifty was founded, built and is owned by my sister, Who I might add is well respected and probably the most knowledgeable person on the 53-56 F-100. I founded, built and own Classic Haulers. Please do a little research before you make these statements. I am very proud of my little mom and pop operation and take offense when this happens. We strive to provide the best service and information we can. No vendor is perfect. I have researched these trucks extensively and continue to do so. My goal is to offer as many restoration parts as possible, and as much helpful and accurate information as I can.

Respectfully
Candis
My apologies for confusing the two companies. I'm confused what you're upset about, tho? I was defending vendors, not being able to know every nuance of every model of Bonus Builts or Mid-fifties.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:03 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No more TOOTSIE ROLLS for Ross

Old 08-07-2014, 12:55 PM
tractormanbill
tractorman

I have done a good deal of business with Classic Haulers and they have taken many returns from me with no problems and cannot say that what they have told me over the phone was ever wrong.
I've talked with Mid Fifty a few times and was not impressed at all.
TractormanBill

Old 01-07-2015, 02:58 PM
Allan Hatcher
New User
Midwest Early Ford..

I emailed them twice on shipping costs to Ca.
No reply. Great customer service.
Al
48 F1
330" Blown Desoto, 727 trans.

Quick Reply: Ripped off by Midwest Early Ford