Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Stinky's Stick-up

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:03 AM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Rich, it seems you have found the root cause of the issue. I bet when you get it done you'll be pulling your boat to the lake. Wow a cracked cup. Are you doing all the cups or just #8? Also that camera sounds like a great item to have for a lot of things. Well, good luck and keep us posted.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:23 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000ca250
PM me your availability in the next month, I may need to enlist your help with cup inspection myself, simply as a precaution.
I have a schedule in front of me, I'll send the info.

Originally Posted by stinson 108-1
Wow a cracked cup. Are you doing all the cups or just #8?
The truck's in the garage, everything is drained overnight, the cups are here, the tools are here, and I have at least one confirmed bad cup after 270,000 miles. I would not want to go through the prep again to replace #5 next time, so I'm blowing the whistle on this pool party and everybody comes out.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:42 AM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000ca250
Some of your smoke is from the coolant leaking down, but my guess is the smoke is simply a little excessive PW at Idle, and a little tweak to your timing table based on EOT. Talk to your tuner about adjusting the SOI multiplier a bit. Bring the delay down a tad, and that should fix the smoke on start up. Now if its hazing like that as it warms up more, thats something that needs to be addressed in either your PW or your PW multiplier table.

Rest assured, replace your cups, and i'd be willing to bet my turbo on it fixing the loosening injector, and some of the smoke. However, you have to know that with bigger nozzles comes the chance of hazing at idle, especially when its colder out or it has sat for awhile.
Tugly dont worry about the smoke so much, its mostly the tunes like He said^^^^. My new injectors and tunes will smoke at startup a little less than than Stinky does. Only if it is 20* or below. Above that temp it won't do it. Mine cleans up after a minute or two. I was told the same as the quote above. My tunes are getting tweaked to minimize the smoke at startup. Good luck!

Old 02-03-2013, 08:26 AM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
So am I to believe all singles smoke at start up?My stockers are tired and create a fog bank when I start er up,so new sticks are close,but smoke at start up at a crowded campground is one thing I'm really trying to cure.Would new splits be that bad of an upgrade?..Sorry Rich..

Old 02-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
So am I to believe all singles smoke at start up?My stockers are tired and create a fog bank when I start er up,so new sticks are close,but smoke at start up at a crowded campground is one thing I'm really trying to cure.Would new splits be that bad of an upgrade?..Sorry Rich..
This is a valid part of the conversation because I started the thread with a smokey video. I have big nozzles, which are more difficult to dial down with a cold start. AC 160s with stock nozzles will behave differently, but I defer to those with the sticks I mentioned.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:04 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,108 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
I would not want to go through the prep again to replace #5 next time, so I'm blowing the whistle on this pool party and everybody comes out.
What, WHAT, WHAT!??!?!?!?

This is an internet forum where everybody wants fast, easy, and cheap!! Replacing them all and thwarting similar problems a few miles down the road is certainly taking things WAY TOO FAR!!!

There are few things worse than taking something apart and not finding a problem....and hoping to whatever deity one may believe in.....that your issue may surface and subsequently end up being fixed after reassembly.

I'm glad you found SOMETHING, Rich! I'll be doing mine as a preventive measure before the new injector install this month. Originals at 257K......

I've done quite a few of these because of actual problems, but I think I'll do mine just for shiggles since I do NOT want to pull the injectors out again once I get them in.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
This camera is freaking awesome. I don't know if this is from winter humidity or the issue with the cup, but can you see what's going on inside my intercooler?

*EDIT* Total brainfart - There's a whole Venus-Mars thing going on when thinking about intake vs. exhaust, coolant, or fuel. They never meet... but there is oil from the CCV.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:53 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,108 Posts
Condensation from hot air being cooled......

It's like a glass of ice water (or tea, or beer, etc.) on your porch rail in the summer!

Old 02-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
Condensation from hot air being cooled......

It's like a glass of ice water (or tea, or beer, etc.) on your porch rail in the summer!
That was my assumption. As you can see by the date in the image, I spotted this the last time I popped the VCs... but I let it go because I expected it. It will dry out in the summer because we get something like 10 - 20% humidity here.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:18 AM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Rich, do you happen to have a picture of the soot in the degas bottle? Since I did my cups last month, I keep getting little "drops" of dark matter showing up in my coolant. I have been writing it off as residue in the system, and have looked and looked and can't figure out how it could be oil from the cups, and it's definitely not fuel, so I was sure the cups were fine. Soot on the other hand, that's peaked my curiosity. I haven't been losing coolant at all...

Here's what i'm dealing with:

Edit: This was about 1000 miles after the new cups. I've since used the mity vac to suck off the top layer, getting as much out as possible, and topping off with new coolant. I've since some more drops, but not quite as many.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Mind you, mine is minor, but... soot in my shiny new degas bottle:

Old 02-03-2013, 10:33 AM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
hmm... looks like it's sticking more to the side of the bottle than it is holding to the coolant like I expected.

On a side note, the best way to check the cups when they are out is to use the mity vac to see if they hold a vacuum against a gloved hand.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:45 AM
srteach
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffreyt
Rich, do you happen to have a picture of the soot in the degas bottle? Since I did my cups last month, I keep getting little "drops" of dark matter showing up in my coolant. I have been writing it off as residue in the system, and have looked and looked and can't figure out how it could be oil from the cups, and it's definitely not fuel, so I was sure the cups were fine. Soot on the other hand, that's peaked my curiosity. I haven't been losing coolant at all...

Here's what i'm dealing with:

Edit: This was about 1000 miles after the new cups. I've since used the mity vac to suck off the top layer, getting as much out as possible, and topping off with new coolant. I've since some more drops, but not quite as many.
Do you have a coolant filter on your truck? I would think that would be cleared up by filtering.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:34 AM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Originally Posted by srteach
Do you have a coolant filter on your truck? I would think that would be cleared up by filtering.
*cough* umm, not yet. But I looked at it some more just now. Sucked some out and "filtered" it through a shop towel. Definitely oil, and the cooler was rebuilt in December so it should be residue.

Ok back on track, sorry for the minor hijack rich.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
I went nosing around in there with my camera to see what I could spy on... like a Powerstroke paparazzo. Here's a lifter:

All sticks are out and I took a pizza break while I wait for the last of the drips into the cylinders. With all my anality, I named the camera "SNAP" - Stinky's Nosey **** Probe.

Quick Reply: Stinky's Stick-up