Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

no start please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 03:25 PM
NintendoKD
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no start please help

ok, so I just got finished fixing my oil dipstick tube seal. my dipstick is broken, but other than that the truck ran great. I turn the key to run glows turn on, then when the wts light goes out turn it to start, nothing, just dead empty silence. dash lights come on, everything works, new batteries, I am tiffed. I took the starter to autozone to test it. I jumped the starter, the relay is brand new, and it works. I replaced the ignition module "plastic thing with copper pins in it, and a slide lever" I have a DVOM on hand but am unsure where to go next, I have new and good components and am very lost, this doesn't make sense. is it the neutral safety switch/trans range senor/nss? I cleaned the connectors, because my e40d is in limp mode.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:56 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
Could be the neutral safety switch.
If you turn the key on, walk around the truck and jump the relay on the fender, will the truck crank and start? (the glow plugs should cycle as you're walking around the vehicle).

You could test the wire that connects to the small bolt on the fender starter relay. See if the wire gets 12V when the key is turned to starting position. You may need either two people to do this test, or hook up a multimeter where you can see it from inside the cab.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:18 PM
NintendoKD
Junior User
pulled/looked at the neutral safety switch, is very dirty, but otherwise looks serviceable. no evidence of burning etc. I will swap it out with a new one tomorrow when I pick up my new part from Autozone. It's the only thing left to check.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:21 PM
NintendoKD
Junior User
Originally Posted by tecgod13
Could be the neutral safety switch.
If you turn the key on, walk around the truck and jump the relay on the fender, will the truck crank and start? (the glow plugs should cycle as you're walking around the vehicle).

You could test the wire that connects to the small bolt on the fender starter relay. See if the wire gets 12V when the key is turned to starting position. You may need either two people to do this test, or hook up a multimeter where you can see it from inside the cab.
glows and everything works, starter too "when jumped" i tested the starter wire and I get low voltage "5-7 vdc" in the on position, and drops to 0vdc at start position. is there a way to bypass the nss? I would love to test it to see.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:59 PM
vfelix702
Laughing Gas

When you replaced the ignition switch on top of the coulmn did u make sure to put it back in the right spot? Also the rod that goes in the swicth needs to be bent and the 90 needs to be pointing str8t down on the column and switch.... had the same issue as you then I found that the rod was bent

Old 01-21-2013, 11:04 AM
NintendoKD
Junior User
yessir, I lined up the hole as I installed the switch. Mine was under the column, but the same concept. part of the problem was that someone had tightened the bolt into the ignition switch too tightly and the brass nut/plastic broke away. took a hacksaw and breaking the ignition switch connector to get the old part off and replace. I used a whizz wheel and cut the rivets on the old ignition switch open, didn't look too bad, but there was a lot of corrosion on some contacts. wish I had taken pictures. I used a jump wire from pass battery to the 12v contact on the starter relay and BAM! started right up. I basically bypassed the nss this way. WARNING!!! be absolutely sure your truck is not in gear if you do this. I was lucky, when I removed the nss I placed the truck in park before bypassing. you wouldn't want to get run over by your own ride. To reach this conclusion, I had a buddy try to start the truck, the starter wire voltage dropped off when in the start position as opposed to run. I think it had like 5-7 vdc at run, and got nothing at start. I am going to look up the nss calibration procedure as well as the tps calibration as well hopefully my tranny will act nicer when this is all through.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:03 PM
NintendoKD
Junior User

not the nss, still no start, good fuses, good relays, good starter, good nss, what now???if I jump the starter wire to the batt it will turn over. if the key is in start the voltage drops to nothing. what causes that?

Old 01-21-2013, 04:34 PM
IDI guy
Elder User
Put a momentary switch to your starter relay. mount it on dashboard "BAM" done. Your key will turn on ignition and GP's, the switch will activate starter.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:11 PM
vfelix702
Laughing Gas

I would suggest taking the switch off the column and in your hand actuate it with a set of needle nose in your hand and see if it starts.... thats what mine was doing... I found out when I did what I told ya cuz I had the same issue .... my truck fired up when I startes it that way ans not on the coullm thats how I found out my rod was tweakes it was off about a 1/2in ..... lol

Old 01-21-2013, 06:12 PM
vfelix702
Laughing Gas

Wow gotta love auto correct..... lol

Old 01-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Rocky RaetzIDI
Senior User
please check all your + and - concetions specaly the grounds to the block