1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Problems with E-10 and E-15 Fuels

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 08:43 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Problems with E-10 and E-15 Fuels

Been reading more and more about the problems E-10 (10% Ethanol 90% gasoline) common most everywhere and E-15 (15%ethanol becoming more common especially in larger cities with EPA air pollution issues), have been causing in both older and newer vehicles.
Besides a loss in performance and reduced fuel mileage there has been more and more reports of other damage and issues. One is that the fuel deteriorates neoprene fuel lines and O rings it comes in contact with. The fuel lines deteriorate from the inside out, the alcohol leaches out the plasticizers and binders in the rubber, it then starts crumbling and becomes porous. This is especially a problem in hot rods where the fuel line incorporates neoprene lined SS braid covered lines. The lining starts crumbling, plugging up filters, check ***** and carb passages. The damage may not show until the line starts mysteriously weeping fuel.
The second major problem is with EFI engines that are left to sit for 6 months or more (more of us are starting to use these engines in our builds and they may sit in the shop for extended lengths of time during the build). The recommendation is to pull the fuel injectors and have them tested before attempting to start the engine. The E fuels are causing the injector solenoids to freeze up.
If you have SS jacketed neoprene fuel lines it is recommended that you change them to teflon lined ones instead. Check all unjacketed rubber fuel lines at least a couple times a year for stiffening, crumbling, or weeping, or any time you find black particles in the fuel filter. You should install a clear fuel filter both before and after a mechanical fuel pump and visually inspect them regularly. Oh, and be sure to thank you fed gov officials for making all this extra fun stuff possible!

Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Thanks Professor Ax

Old 01-17-2013, 10:20 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
Interestingly, as a side note, as I read this post, the ad to the left asks the question, "gun control?" with a picture of Joe Biden's head. I sure wish I knew how to save a screen shot. We've known for years that alcohol is best used for fun, not so much as a motor fuel. My daily driver, which consistently gets 19/24 mpg, is down suddenly to 17/20 in recent weeks since the weather/fuel change.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 765 Likes on 375 Posts
I work for a Missouri Govt agency with a pretty good fleet of vehicles and several years ago the fleet managers were encouraging the use of E85. I asked him about it and it was 15-20% less fuel efficient and those vehicles had 15% higher maintenance costs. I have heard it is also very inefficient to produce.

This is where I could go off on a politicians are stupid rant, but the moderators already have their hands full dealing with us.

Edit: of course half the time, they stir the pot in here.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:06 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Increasing ethanol content past 10% without proper engineering is not a good idea if the ECM can not adjust for it automatically. I intentionally run E10 or mix with E85 to increase ethanol content further. I can get cheap 93-95 octane and run 11-1 CR with ease. Under 1/3 the cost of race fuel. Love it for performance applications.

I understand the politics are heavily involved and won't debate that. It is subsidized, just like MANY other industries. Ethanol is wonderful if you live where I do, probably evil if you don't. Don't see an issue with E10 at all. Hasn't been a driveability issue in this part of the country for a very long time. Millions of midwestern cars have used it for 20+ years , without significant problems since automakers have accounted for it in their engineering. Better get used to alternative fuels.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:28 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
Having been very close to retail sales and service of the powersports business I've seen the carnage involved with ethanol in fuel. Cause and effect? We should expect nothing less from government bureaucrats.
And to remain on topic, I do believe a very active member recently had such problems with the fuel line on his Ford F4.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:44 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fatfenders
Better get used to alternative fuels.
Like shoe leather?

Old 01-17-2013, 12:45 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
My biggest problem isn't so much with my daily drivers, but it's killing the other equipment on my farm if I don't treat the fuel. It will stick a float valve solid. I cleaned the carb on my generator the other day. The excess carb cleaner in the bottom of my catch bucket was a very pretty shade of green.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:04 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Yes FF, the cars today are built to use E10, but those of us with our older vehicles have a lot of parts in them not compatible with the stuff. But even new engines are having some problems re: the advisory on injectors sticking.
My brother runs 100% Ethanol in his race car, but he had to change a lot of parts when he made the switch, fuel tank bladder and slosh baffle, fuel pump, carb. When he puts the car up for winter he has to drain it completely and run gasoline thru it. The first year he failed to drain the float bowls on the carb and had to send it back to Grant for a rebuild. The gov push to E fuels is mostly to subsidize the corn farmers more without looking so much like an increased handout. Downside is there is far less corn to use as food especially in the countries we used to send it to, and it's far more efficient and cost effective to use as food than fuel. Notice how many food manufacturers are now touting that they no longer use corn syrup. It's not because of any health concerns but because there is less corn going into syrup production so the price is exceeding cane sugar.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:06 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ethanol

Old 01-17-2013, 07:25 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't had issues with the big engines, but my weed-eater and chainsaw had to have their fuel lines replaced this past summer. I suspect it was the ethanol.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:09 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
I didnt mean to come off harsh if I did. Do you guys not have an option? We have non-ethanol. Not claiming every gas station, but it is very easy to find.

And a little full disclosure, other than living in tall corn country, I have also spent over a year of my life in a real hot sandy locale. If not for the fact they have half the worlds oil reserves, I know there is FAR less likely a chance we would be so engaged in their problems for decades past and future. Some of my friends would still be here too. Fair enough reason for me?

If my cars would run on butterscotch pudding and dog crap I'd be burning it instead of oil. I'm hoping natty gas and solar is the next wave. I know there are challenges to that. Americans have gotten past some mighty tall technology challenges. We'll do it again eventually. Alternative fuels will be viable, at least for my daughter they will. If I sound like I voted for somebody you don't care for, your assumption would be incorrect.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:28 PM
48fordcoe
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The new car company won't warranty 2012 car so new cars can't used it either on the new last week

Old 01-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 765 Likes on 375 Posts
Originally Posted by fatfenders
I didnt mean to come off harsh if I did. Do you guys not have an option? We have non-ethanol. Not claiming every gas station, but it is very easy to find.
In Missouri they passed a law a while back that all gas had to have at least 10% ethanol. There might have been some loopholes, but not much of one. Gas stations don't tell you what blend they are running, or I haven't looked close enough to tell...

Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Harrier
In Missouri they passed a law a while back that all gas had to have at least 10% ethanol. There might have been some loopholes, but not much of one. Gas stations don't tell you what blend they are running, or I haven't looked close enough to tell...
Now that's not good at all. Most of my small engine stuff is OK with E10, but I use regular gas in my boat and a few other things that are not. There may be additives for upper cylinder lube? E85 is widely used up here for perfomance aps, and I believe I have read they have products some guys use. I realize if you have a fuel system completely uncompatible, that isn't going to save you.

EDIT: something like this might be good idea for something with fairly low seasonal use. Just the first product I searched up. When I turn up the alcohol % higher for the nitrous in my stang, I will use something similar so I don't harm my high dollar fuel injection.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Eastwood/352/1...FcU-Mgodn24AGQ

Quick Reply: Problems with E-10 and E-15 Fuels