1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

demonic steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 11:26 PM
oldschool21
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
demonic steering

Just installed a reman rack & pinion on a 2000 ranger started to truck up as soon as i touched the steering wheel it would turn violetly left a right on its on made a video will see if i can post removed the rack taking it back any one ever heard or seen this i did notice that the pump stayed in by pass with wheels centered reason for replacing the rack was it had a small leak no problem with steering prior to repair yes i flushed the system yes i used new fluid sorry can not post video will try to upload to you tube

Old 01-16-2013, 10:10 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

You likely have air in the system & thats causing it to go into harmonic oscillation. Happened to me once so Don't drive it until you've properly deaired the fluid.

Raise the vehicle so the front wheels can be Fully turned lock to lock. Top off the p/s reservoir, start the engine & let it idle down some, then slowly turn the steering wheel lock to lock & bump the stops, but not for more than a couple of seconds so as not to damage the p/s pump. Do this 40-50 times, or until the reservoir fluid doesn't have any foam/air bubbles in it.

If you have a large air bubble trapped in it, or have let the reservoir fluid get low & the pump has whipped lots of air into the fluid so that it looks like a strawberry shake, you'll need to apply a vacuum to the pump reservoir to deair the fluid, before cycling the steering left & right lock to lock, or you'll have to shut it down & wait for the reservoir bubbles to pop, but this could take hours, maybe a day for badly areated fluid, to get em all out!!!!

To deair the fluid more quickly, if you don't have a vacuum pump, mighty vac, ect, you can rig an engine vacuum source by tapping into an engine vacuum line with a "T" & piece of tubing, the open tubing end terminated in a small needle that'll fit into the reservoir cap vent hole, sealed with something like duct seal, clay, chewing gum, ect & use your hand vacuum source, or the engine idle while its intake vacuum lowers the reservoir pressure, to pop the bubbles. Then with the reservoir fluid deaired, with the engine at idle & your MacGiver vacuum source attached to the reservoir cap, slowly cycle the steering wheel fully left & right 40-50 times, to chase any remaining aerated fluid in the rack, filter cooler & lines, back to the reservoir for deairing. Be sure to keep the reservoir fluid level topped up, or the pump will continue to areate the fluid, all a vicious circle.

If you have a large air bubble, or badly areated fluid, keep the reservoir cap in place, as the bubbles are under high pressure, so when they get pumped back to the low pressure reservoir they'll POP & can give you & your engine a facial, don't ask how I know this!!!! lol So we should wear our safety glasses any time we're working on a pressurized system, I was!!!!

A bunch of thoughts for consideration, let us know how it goes.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:44 AM
oldschool21
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i got it figured out there was two problems one was my fault the other one was reading the instructions on a 2000 ranger the supply (pressure) line and the return are the same size fitting so i was hooked them up backwards found this out when i put the old rack back on it did the samething reversed the line problem solved now for the second problem the reman rack had a warning label that said remove popit valve from old rack install it in the new rack it had a diagram showing with port to put it in so i did witch was the return so it has two poppit valves now this explans why the pump was in bypass as soon as i started the engine i have told my wife for years that instructions are from the devil this conferms it for me i thank you for the quick responce the new rack works well no leaks this is a great fourm thank it puts me in the correct direction and gives me a great game plan once again thanks

Old 01-17-2013, 10:37 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
OK, good to hear you got it figured out. Sounds like Murphys Law strikes again & Fords designers were'nt expierenced enough to know about it!!!! As it says if a part can be installed incorrectly, someone will install it that way!!!! lol

First time I heard of Murphys Law was in a 1957 edition of Naval Avaition News monthly example of how it applies to things in naval avation. Due to many "events" happening at just the right time, an avation metal smith had installed a tail hook shank backwards, no one caught it, so at the end of the next flight, the launched aircraft tailhook couldn't grab the arresting cable. So the crew was given three choices, gain altitude & bail out, ditch along side the carrier, or attempt flying into the crash barrier, they successfully chose the last option & had to recover the aircraft by flying it into the crash barrier, thats when it was finally found that the tail hook shank had been installed backwards. They would have had to be flying backwards to hook the arresting cable!!!! lol. They wondered why would anyone install it that way & found that the danged part wasn't keyed so it could Only be installed the correct way & this guy had to do it by himself, at night, on the flight deck, cold rain, no help or light, by feel, tail hook hanging out over open water with the ship under way & the water was 120 feet down, so it would have been a long fall if he lost his hand hold, so Murphy stepped in & helped out & sure enough he successfully got it installed backwards!!!! Sorta sound familiar with the steering rack line hook up possibilities!!!! lol