Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 F150 Power Steering Issue Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 01:04 PM
CHRGD
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 F150 Power Steering Issue Help Please!

Let me set the tone quickly, 94 F150 4X4 351 Back in 2/2011 I changed out the power steering gear box, flushed with regular power steering fluid. Everything seemed fine for almost a year now. About a week ago I developed a issue where I don't have much power steering, but just when turning to the right, and mostly while sitting still. One would think the power pump was getting bad, so I swapped that out this weekend with a remaned unit, and flushed it out again with just regular power steering fluid. The issue is still there, it didn't change one bit. I was thinking a hose, but that don't make much sense as I have good power to the left. If the truck is moving at all, I have power both ways. The issues is just while sitting still. I thought about a tight ball joint, or another suspension item, but they move great if the truck is moving. Is it possible the gear box is bad again? I would try a hose, but can't seem to locate one, as mine has the standard fittings on it, and they only have a metric hose, pretty much everywhere I checked. Should I try changing the fluid to a ATF type fluid? Appreciate the help. Thanks

Old 01-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Make sure your front end is greased and not binding. Tie rods, and ball joints as you mentioned. Make sure you don't have an axle u-joint that's starting to seize. Most of these items would make it harder to turn the wheel while sitting still, but easier once it has the momentum of the tires spinning to help.

I had a similar problem in my former 93, which advanced to it being hard to turn to the right all the time, even when moving. I can't remember what exactly was wrong with the steering box, but that ended up being the problem. If yours is under warranty, it's probably not a bad idea to think about replacing it.

While I'm not sure what thread the stock hoses should be, unless you've installed a Saginaw (upgraded) pump, the stock hoses from any parts source should fit.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:21 PM
88n94
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts
Automatic transmission fluid(type F) is what Ford recommends. I think it would be wise to use that. Automatic transmission fluid seems thicker than power steering fluid, so it would probably be better with the problem you're having.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:56 PM
CHRGD
Freshman User
Thanks Bob, I have checked the suspension parts, and all seems fine there. The problem with the pump and is, and this is from what I have been told, is where the truck was probably built, determined what pump it got. It looks like most trucks will have the metric fitting. Every parts house I checked had a metric pump and hose in stock. There was a week wait to get a standard fitting pump, but no listing at all for a standard fitting hose at all. I know I could swap the fitting out, but when I took the core back it had to have a fitting in it, so I had to sent back the metric fitting. If I had know I was going to try a hose next, I would have just use the metric fitting, and got a new hose then.

88n94- I think I will change out the fluid this weekend, and see if that helps. But I really believe its the gear box again. Thanks for your all suggestions.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Ya learn something every day. I just looked on Rock Auto, and while they don't list a standard fitting PS hose, they do list a standard fitting PS pump. Never heard of it!

Good luck with the repairs.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 PM
CHRGD
Freshman User
LOL! I couldn't believe it either, makes no sense what so ever. I didn't check with the dealer, but I would think it has been discontinued. I guess I could have a new hose made with my old fittings, if need be. But I'm really leaning toward a gear box. I will try the fluid change this weekend, but I'm going to have them get another box, if they don't already have one in stock. I saw on this site about a group buy on Red Head Steering boxes, but I have never saw a price on them, does anyone know about them? Thanks, Jeff

Old 01-11-2013, 03:58 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
I'd love to get in on a group buy for a Red Head. My truck is going to need a box soon, and from what I've read, nobody has ever had any problems with them.

I contacted them a couple of years ago, non-group buy pricing was around $300 by the time you get done with shipping, and sending your core back to them.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:52 AM
CHRGD
Freshman User
Thanks Bob, I shot off a email to them last night, but have not heard back from them yet. Looking at their site, I didn't see a listing for my truck, but I'm pretty sure they would have one.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:42 PM
CHRGD
Freshman User
Well Bob, I ordered one today. For my truck, $256 for the box, $75 core and since I returned my one off the truck as defective, and they got rid of my core, I did get my core charge back, and $34 shipping. Grand total of $365 to my door. The only thing I didn't like is it only has a 1 year, unlimited mileage warranty. But after talking to Bruce, I decided to go with one. I wish some of the guys who got a Redhead in the group would chime in and let us know how they are holding up after having them for some time now. Also I looked around today for Ford Type F fluid, and didn't find any. They tell me it's been replaced with DexronIII/M???? Is this the right fluid to replace Ford Type F?

Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 PM
88n94
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts
Wal-Mart has type F transmission fluid. About $3.50 a quart. DexronIII/Mercon fluid is different than type F. I don't know why Ford still specified type F transmission fluid in the power steering systems, when the transmissions went to Mercon. Must have been some good reason.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:28 PM
CHRGD
Freshman User
Thank you much, I will look there this weekend. Looks like I should get my steering box about Tuesday-Wednesday this coming week. Will flush the p/s pump this weekend that way I'll be ready to go.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:01 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
They're pretty pricey, but worth it. I put one in an Excursion I had years ago, and it was a night and day difference in steering response. As far as I know, that box went at least another 60k or so with no issues.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:50 AM
fdude64
Posting Guru
from what I understand the difference between dexron and type f is, dexron is petroleum based and type f is mineral based.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:59 AM
CHRGD
Freshman User
I thought so too Bob, and with only a 1 year warranty I had to think about it. But after talking with Bruce, he said if I had any problems, and it was their fault, he would work with me on it. So I decided to go with one. Hope to have it on the truck by next weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Fdude Thanks for that info, looks like I'll try to get some F type. You know these guys at the parts houses, they will tell you this replaced that just to make a sale. It's hard to find good help!

Old 01-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Splash_O_Yellow
New User
any news on the new gearbox? im curious to know myself since i might be having to do it also.

Quick Reply: 94 F150 Power Steering Issue Help Please!