Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo ?? 460?? Could it work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 11:33 PM
Gormanj91
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo ?? 460?? Could it work?

Anyone know what the challenges of putting a turbo in a 460 would be just curious wanted to try in the near future not really sure how to go about it . Would I have to redo the exhaust as well?

Old 01-06-2013, 11:46 PM
firerescue9
Senior User

Old 01-07-2013, 01:06 AM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
You realize that a turbo charger spools up because of exhaust right? You should probably research turbo charges before anything else

Old 01-07-2013, 02:00 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Works real good, I've got several videos on YouTube of one as well.

Plan to budget at least $1200-2000 and at least 100 hours of fab work, installation, and tuning time.

However, with the kinds of questions you just asked - you've got A LOT more reading to do.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:38 AM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, it will work, but it's a very involved process. It sounds like you need to do a lot of reading on turbo gasoline engines in general before jumping into a 460 build. There is very little support out there for a turbo 460 NOT designed for drag racing.

You might want to look into finding yourself a used Vortech kit for the 460 if you want to play with forced induction. Its a great kit to get you started with FI since it's a fairly straight forward install (if you get all the parts), but they're getting rare and they are bought up quick when they're for sale.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by firerescue9
All the stupid crap you've posted, and this is your reply?? Sit this one out, junior.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:09 PM
firerescue9
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bob Gervais
All the stupid crap you've posted, and this is your reply?? Sit this one out, junior.
Stupid crap like what? GUARANTEED i know more about turbos and whats involved with then you do. I didnt say i knew everything, everyone has to ask dumb questions sometimes, but this is just beyond stupid.

Thanks for flaming me tho, i appreciate *********s

Old 01-08-2013, 05:53 AM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Bob Gervais, I was gonna throw some Rep your way, but apparently I've gotta spread some more around elsewhere first.
firerescue9, believe him, you better sit this one out. I don't care if you know everything about every turbo ever made, it was quite apparent that you didn't do much research before trying to put a Dana 60 rear underneath your truck while the Sterling is a much better, easier, and cheaper option. Now that's stupid. So leave this guy alone, will ya?

Old 01-08-2013, 02:19 PM
firerescue9
Senior User
Leave the guy alone.... wasnt he the one who made the comment. And i did research. Its not like people havent done a rear d60 swap befor.. Not everyone has the funds/ability to find a 10.25. I couldnt for a long time hence me asking about the d60. I still dont understand why i get so much sh.i.t for asking.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:29 PM
Gormanj91
New User
Thanks everyone

So first things first what is a good reliable source to read up and learn about turbos? Second I plan on goin to a junkyard and ripping one off a 7.3 and if need be maybe rebuilding it !?? Any problem in that? I m not looking to go fast just little more pulling power and maybe some better gas mileage, and of course the nice little whistle. I know it's a long process and involves a lot I am capable I just need some direction and knowledge from people who done this.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:38 PM
fdude64
Posting Guru
I wouldn't mind doing this to my 460 if I could get better mileage. but im thinkin a diesel swap would be easier and maybe cheaper.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:37 PM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Originally Posted by Gormanj91
So first things first what is a good reliable source to read up and learn about turbos? Second I plan on goin to a junkyard and ripping one off a 7.3 and if need be maybe rebuilding it !?? Any problem in that? I m not looking to go fast just little more pulling power and maybe some better gas mileage, and of course the nice little whistle. I know it's a long process and involves a lot I am capable I just need some direction and knowledge from people who done this.
Wikipedia is probably a good source to learn about the basics of turbo chargers. As for the specifics for your application, there are a couple guys around the site that know what needs to be done that I'm sure would be more than happy to pass on their knowledge to you.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:51 PM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gormanj91
That's a good start.

If you're serious about building a turbo motor, you should read Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. Eventually every site you go to on beginner's turbo builds, somebody will point you to that book.

One of the members here, Lead Head, has a post where he dropped a 7.3 Powerstroke van turbo on his 460. The thread is found here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-0-85-vid.html

There's no denying that power will increase, but the 7.3 turbo isn't sized perfectly for the motor either, but based on Lead Head's videos on Youtube, it seems to do very well for the total investment in the project. As far as fuel mileage goes, I doubt that you'll see any gains in fuel economy. Best case scenario, you'll keep your current fuel mileage while greatly increase the power output. If you read up on forced induction, the brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC) is higher on turbo and supercharged motors which points towards lower fuel economy in general.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:20 PM
fdude64
Posting Guru
ok so now im thinkin an 1160 caterpillar with an air tank add and a 13 speed, lol.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yup, we just kind of dove into that project. The only goals at the time were find the biggest turbo possible locally...and that's about it. We did plenty of research before hand, but there was a lot we learned during the install - and unfortunately there is a lot more we learned after we got everything all installed.

So ~2 Years after it was finished, it really needs to all come apart again and be redone. A properly sized turbo, charge-air piping, revised oiling system, fuel pump changes, engine rebuild and more.

You're not really going to gain any fuel economy from a turbo, my buddy gained ~1MPG, but not from the turbo. More than likely from the mass-air and tuning changes. It'll never pay for itself.

Quick Reply: Turbo ?? 460?? Could it work?