Sponsored by: DP Tuner

PTO trans help

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 10:22 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PTO trans help

i need some PTO trans help. the f550 i bought has a pto trans how what do i need to use it. all it has in the cover on the trans. do i need an adapter or will the item i want to run bolt up? i think i need the adapter to get it out of the trans to where i can hook up a pump. i have a AIC coming to run the pto just need to find how to hook it up.
I'm not keeping the truck my dad traded me his f250 for it and he would like to know how to use it.
if any needs a good 250......
thanks Matt

Old 12-20-2012, 11:02 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
The pump bolts directly to the trans. We use Muncie pumps that are clutch activated. This means the pump gear is constantly meshed with the PTO gear in the transmission. Then transmission fluid pressure is used to activate the clutch thus driving the hydraulic pump.

You do not need the AIC. It is nice but not necessary unless you really need to vary idle speed or remote start and stop feature. The factory high idle circuit works for most applications.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:56 AM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I did some research a while back and about the only thing I could find was the Muncie pumps (thanks to an old post by shake and bake IIRC). The Muncie pump will then operate a variety of implements, such as anything hydraulic (lift bed, snow plow, etc...) and there are implements such as air compressors and generators that can run off of it as well.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:26 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
do you have a pic of pto that is hooked up to the pump. i found what looks like they have an adapter to run a hyd pump?
he is looking to run a air compressor.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:14 PM
srteach
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you can get a PTO air compressor, but I would probably run hydraulic to air compressor. You would still have hydro for other things in the future.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by snakedoc
do you have a pic of pto that is hooked up to the pump. i found what looks like they have an adapter to run a hyd pump?
he is looking to run a air compressor.
Here is a pic. This is a hydraulic pump that is attached to the clutch drive gear set. It is basically what you are describing, an adapter with a pump on the back.

I think Riffraff has an air compressor on their website that bolts in place of the 2nd alternator. That would be a much better option than using the PTO since the compressor would be engine driven. The PTO can cause the transmission to get hot sometimes so we've sorta gotten away from transmission driven units on the smaller class 4 or 5 trucks.

I'll attach some pdf documents for the Muncie pumps so you can see what is involved.

Attached Images  
Attached Images
The following users liked this post:
Old 12-21-2012, 01:23 PM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
I think Riffraff has an air compressor on their website that bolts in place of the 2nd alternator. That would be a much better option than using the PTO since the compressor would be engine driven.
Thanks for posting this. That will go to the top of my wish list if it really will bolt right up in place of 2nd Alt. I'll have to look into it more.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:23 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster

I think Riffraff has an air compressor on their website that bolts in place of the 2nd alternator.
I'm looking now, I'll post a link. That sounds awesome.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:57 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Old 12-21-2012, 02:34 PM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Jeff does your new truck have dual alternators? I know nothing about adding this but am thinking it might perhaps be as easy or easier to add to a single alt truck. Hoping you have duals though so I can learn from your compressor thread.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:38 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
I don't even know where the second alternator goes. I don't have the wrap around coolant hose, so I'm saying no, but I'll go look...

But here's a thread to read through about adding the second alternator. If the compressor is going in instead, Just need the bracket, bolts, and new belt. All the wiring is not dependent on the PCM.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/2...uccessful.html

Old 12-21-2012, 02:42 PM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Probably not with that through-hose. I'm wondering what's involved in going from two alternators to one. Thanks for the link.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:46 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Should be to pull off the second, remove the mounting bracket, replace bracket bolts with the shorter bolts, delete the second idler, and install the shorter belt.

Not sure about how necessary changing the harness over would be. Might be able to cap the wires and go.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:48 PM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Yeah the wiring is what I'm wondering about. When I'm in a position to buy I'll call Clay and ask, he'll know!

Old 12-21-2012, 05:09 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Here is a pic. This is a hydraulic pump that is attached to the clutch drive gear set. It is basically what you are describing, an adapter with a pump on the back.

I think Riffraff has an air compressor on their website that bolts in place of the 2nd alternator. That would be a much better option than using the PTO since the compressor would be engine driven. The PTO can cause the transmission to get hot sometimes so we've sorta gotten away from transmission driven units on the smaller class 4 or 5 trucks.

I'll attach some pdf documents for the Muncie pumps so you can see what is involved.
do they have a 6.0 trans cooler and getting hot? i will have to talk to him and see if he really needs the air. i do think we will.

thanks

Quick Reply: PTO trans help