6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Time for some HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 06:38 PM
jggearhead
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for some HIDs

So its time for some HIDs!! Who makes the best kits out there? how much and what K kits did you buy?? Who did you pick them up from? I am not interested in changing out my headlights either I love the look of stock also Hoping to find a plug and play kit I have no interest in cannibalizing the wiring in my truck.
Would love to find some OEM 20" wheels too but not in my budget right now.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:21 AM
B&LLandscaping
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The headlights on these trucks suck. I did a TON of research on this before I settled on my setup.

Bottom line for me is that an HID bulb in a standard halogen headlight reflector was a waste of money. Only a slight improvement, and the biggest problem is it makes you public enemy #1 with other drivers because of the glare. In order to avoid getting flashed, you have to aim them way down, which defeats the purpose of putting in better lights.

If you're going to go HID, look at doing a full projector setup. I can tell you from experience, they're AWESOME.

I went with a DIY retrofit system from The Retrofit Source (TRS). It's a bi-xenon FXR Stage III kit with 4300K bulbs. 4300 is the closest to sunlight, 5000K is slightly whiter, once you get above 5000K, you actually lose light and start getting the blue tint that people either love or hate, I'm on the hate side. I would recommed TRS, the stuff they sell is top notch, a lot of it is OEM components, and their wiring harnesses are well made and make the wiring side of the install a simple plug and play, there's no cutting or splicing involved. Their customer support is really good too. Keep an eye on their website, as well as do a search on the web for them, they regularly do group buy specials on some of the forums that can save you 25%. (I bought mine through a group buy on a Toyota Tacoma forum lol.)

I just got it to the point where I have the projectors installed and aimed on Sunday night. It was a learning curve, but it's not that hard, and now that I've done it once, I could do it again in likely a tenth of the time. There is a ton of info out there on doing the retrofits, try hidplanet.com as well as searching this site and others like it. I was blown away by how much better the light is than stock. I'll be doing the final headlight assembly and install tonight, and I'll try to take some pictures.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:37 AM
jggearhead
Junior User
B&L thanks for the tip can't wait for some pics!!

Old 12-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,566 Likes on 1,425 Posts
Looking forward to the photo's myself

Old 12-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Adventure Rider
Senior User
Another option is at Retro Solutions

I also did not want to waste time and money with a bulb swap

So for the mains I am going with an HID Bi-Xenon projector 55w 5000k and a capped set of 55w 5000k fog set

Outstanding customer service

Hope to install in the next couple of weeks

Totally agree stock lighting sucks.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:21 AM
B&LLandscaping
Senior User
Here's the pics. It's hard to capture just how much better the HIDs are than the stock halogens, but I think it comes across.

So far, I'm VERY happy with this mod. I've got a long Christmas road trip coming up this week, so I'll post up my thoughts and a review once I get back.
Halogen Low Beam

Halogen High Beam

HID Low Beam

HID High Beam

Projector 1

Projector 2

Old 12-19-2012, 12:14 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,089 Likes on 2,222 Posts
Originally Posted by B&LLandscaping
Here's the pics. It's hard to capture just how much better the HIDs are than the stock halogens, but I think it comes across.

So far, I'm VERY happy with this mod. I've got a long Christmas road trip coming up this week, so I'll post up my thoughts and a review once I get back.
Where did you get your projector housing? Did you install it? Any tips on how the install went?

Old 12-19-2012, 02:49 PM
B&LLandscaping
Senior User
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
Where did you get your projector housing? Did you install it? Any tips on how the install went?
The Retrofit Source (TRS). It's a bi-xenon FXR Stage III kit with 4300K 35W bulbs.

I installed it myself. Now that I've done it once, the install process is pretty simple. All you need to do it is some stainless hardware and a good Dremel tool, the wiring is simple plug and play. One of the hardest parts is actually separating the headlight housing. Ford uses permaseal, so you have to heat them in the oven at 265F for about 15 mins to loosen the glue and repeat that process several times to get them apart. It sucks. The rest is pretty basic. Measure really carefully, remove as little material from the housings as possible to fit the projector, and bolt them in by threading the projectors.

I'll be honest, my install is nowhere near as sano as I'd like it to be, that's why I didn't do a big write up or take a bunch of pictures. I made a few mistakes along the way and I modified the mounting method quite a bit from the template I started with. It's not the prettiest install, but it's solid and the aim is almost perfect. If I had to do it over again, it would take me 1/4 of the time and be really clean.

If anyone is thinking about doing a retrofit, I'd be glad to answer any specific questions as to how I did it or what to look out for.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:38 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Thanks B&LLandscaping...I have a kit ordered from DDM Tuning (been on the boat from China for almost a month). I may or may not tackle this mod...that site has a ton of information. Thanks again!

Old 12-19-2012, 04:42 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
I have the retro-solutions 6000k, 55w heads and fogs. Aimed them pretty low as I was getting flashed from other traffic. Haven't been flashed since. They are a pretty good improvment.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:17 AM
tinman1944
New User
Anyone tried anything from Pro Tuning Lab? Looks like a direct replacement.
http://www.protuninglab.com/201120121.html

Old 12-20-2012, 08:56 AM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SavageNFS
Thanks B&LLandscaping...I have a kit ordered from DDM Tuning (been on the boat from China for almost a month). <snip>
As someone who drives towards these all the time, please DO NOT use these on the road. They glare horribly and with a light housing as large as the SuperDuty's they will blind oncoming traffic.

If you want HIDs, which i agree are amazing, please do them correctly and use a true projector conversion.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:14 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Otahyoni
As someone who drives towards these all the time, please DO NOT use these on the road. They glare horribly and with a light housing as large as the SuperDuty's they will blind oncoming traffic.

If you want HIDs, which i agree are amazing, please do them correctly and use a true projector conversion.
Thanks for your opinion

Old 12-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Adventure Rider
Senior User
Originally Posted by Otahyoni

That is exactly why I am doing mine as projectors and not just bulbs stuffed in

Old 12-20-2012, 11:44 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Adventure Rider
That is exactly why I am doing mine as projectors and not just bulbs stuffed in
Kind of why I was asking about them...I think it is an interesting modification that if done right, will yield amazing results.

Quick Reply: Time for some HIDs