Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugly Betty: Frame-Up Rebuild w/ a Donor

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 06:03 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by tschrubb
Hm, well, I guess I'll be learning how to bleed the clutch lines since I didn't see your post before I popped the tube off at the tranny. Maybe it won't be that bad...
IIRC, it's the same process as bleeding brakes..

Fill the Mastercylinder up, pump the clutch, hold it to the floor, crack the bleeder screw.

Repeat until straight fluid comes out, no bubbles...Close the screw and go on.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:51 PM
tschrubb
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I spent some time looking over the frame today getting ready to get the engine and stuff off. I think most of the day tomorrow will be spent marking things and figuring out what I'm looking at, though I will try to get most of the electricals, vacuum, smog and other hose/wires off before I start removing components. I want to take my time and make sure I mark everything and get an orderly and organized disassembly.

Also, for the record, I've got between 16 and 20 hours of work in so far. Not bad for a first-timer.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
You better take your time prepping that frame. I hear POR 15 is inexpensive and does a great job.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:11 PM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
POR-15 is Well Worth The Time, if Done Properly. Help Save your Truck. I Highly Recommend it. did it with Mine

Old 12-25-2012, 09:00 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by tschrubb
I spent some time looking over the frame today getting ready to get the engine and stuff off. I think most of the day tomorrow will be spent marking things and figuring out what I'm looking at, though I will try to get most of the electricals, vacuum, smog and other hose/wires off before I start removing components. I want to take my time and make sure I mark everything and get an orderly and organized disassembly.

Also, for the record, I've got between 16 and 20 hours of work in so far. Not bad for a first-timer.
Spend the extra $$, and have your frame sand blasted...

It does a LOT better job of getting the rust off, etc...

Ask Diesel_Brad

Old 12-25-2012, 09:37 PM
tschrubb
Senior User
Yeah, I bought a sandblaster from Eastwood just for this very job. I need to get my media ordered soon so it's here when I need it (probably go with an iron oxide), but obviously need something with some bite to get all the scale and rust off. Once it's blasted I'll assess the real condition of the cross members (some are really questionable) and probably order a few replacements. The front should be mint from all the oil that has been leaking from the engine and built up at least 1mm of junk.

POR15 is only the first step of my current plan. Once I've got a sold base down (not sure if I'll use a second coat since POR is really only good for metal contact) then I'll give it a good 'scratch coat' and hit it with Herculiner. I'm not positive that I'll got the extra mile with the bed liner yet, but I want something I won't ever (read EVER) have to worry about.

Of course, before I get there I'll need to get the engine and other parts off the frame and get it power washed at the local drive through car wash. I don't want the years of oil, grease and rust in my driveway, so I'll have to put it in my 7x14 trailer for the 1.5 mile trip. I'm sure I'll have pictures of that little excursion, but that's a few weeks out yet.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:32 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Unless you have a BIG compressor, you are wasting your time with the sandblaster. I went down that road. I have a 35cfm(highly doubt anyone on this forum has one bigger) and it was not enough volume of air to Properly keep up with Eastwoods 110lb sandblast pot. Do yourself a favor and just take the frame to someone and have it done RIGHT. Your small pot id ok for small things but you will spend DAYS and 1000's of lbs of sand to do it right.

As for the POR15. I am a firm believer in the stuff as a base coat/primer. I then topcaot it while it is still tacky to get proper adhesion. Do NOT USE HURCULINER. Just use any high quality paint. I like tractor/implement.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:12 AM
Nealcrenshaw
Senior User
I'll be keeping an eye on your progress. Great write up.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:02 AM
nauss85
Freshman User
Agreed. Loving the progress and pics! Seem to me like you have a pretty good grasp on things!

Old 12-26-2012, 08:05 AM
tschrubb
Senior User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Unless you have a BIG compressor, you are wasting your time with the sandblaster. I went down that road. I have a 35cfm(highly doubt anyone on this forum has one bigger) and it was not enough volume of air to Properly keep up with Eastwoods 110lb sandblast pot. Do yourself a favor and just take the frame to someone and have it done RIGHT. Your small pot id ok for small things but you will spend DAYS and 1000's of lbs of sand to do it right.

As for the POR15. I am a firm believer in the stuff as a base coat/primer. I then topcaot it while it is still tacky to get proper adhesion. Do NOT USE HURCULINER. Just use any high quality paint. I like tractor/implement.
I have an 80 gal 155 PSI compressor w/ 16cfm continuous supply. I used the setup to sandblast about 200' of brick walls clean of paint and other crud- she'll work just fine on the frame. I do appreciate that it'll take a good while and loads of media, but I'm not doing it to save money. if I take my time I'm sure she'll come out ok.

I'm curious why you don't think herculiner is a good option. I've been thinking it will be problematic for attaching things since any bolt or fastener holes would be noticeably smaller and establishing electrical grounds through Herciliner might be challenging... I'm just having some bad dreams about driving down a gravel road and hearing all the clinking and clacking chipping the paint off that I spent so much time on...

Originally Posted by Nealcrenshaw
I'll be keeping an eye on your progress. Great write up.
Originally Posted by nauss85
Agreed. Loving the progress and pics! Seem to me like you have a pretty good grasp on things!
Thanks, I'm having fun with it so far... Check out my 351w built thread if you have a few minutes. Paul (Conanski) and I have been working out the engine plans including a Mass Air Flow upgrade

I don't think I've done anything too bone-headed thus far, but there's a long way to go. I'm not a huge fan of how I got the cab off (kinda ghetto) since it's not suitable for the reverse operation when I have a finished and painted cab... I'll need to find a better way to lift the cab high enough to clear the frame at some point during assembly- I have one interesting thought about an 'I' beam over the garage ceiling...

Old 12-26-2012, 08:41 AM
f-trucker88
Elder User
Great right up not done reading all yet but it's looking great!!

Old 12-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Herculier is GARBAGE. All it is is CHEAP black paint with grit in it.

Might as well get some black rustoluum and throw a trowel full of and in it for 1/4 the price

Old 12-26-2012, 05:54 PM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
Hey brad what's your take on line-x? Say he brought the bare frame to get done.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:08 PM
tschrubb
Senior User
Hm, there's an interesting option- POR15 the frame and then get it professionally coated with a bed liner... I'll have to get some quotes, but in the mean time, definitely let me know what y'all think.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
i think if i had to do it all over again, i would have gave that a shot. i know im doing it to the backside of my bumpers when i finish up with them.

Quick Reply: Ugly Betty: Frame-Up Rebuild w/ a Donor