N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

2nd Annual Pismo Beach Sand N Your pants GTG with So Cal chapter.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
2nd Annual Pismo Beach Sand N Your pants GTG with So Cal chapter.

Hello gang,

Nothing is set into stone at this point, however, it is almost time to start thinking about the once a year GTG we have with the So Cal FTE folks. We came up with this idea last year and it worked out great with the exception of only two members of Nor Cal showing up. However, I think because of the distance for most our members, and the fact that it is the weekend of the Super Bowl, not too many from Nor Cal wanted to attend. I will understand. Especially with gas prices being what they are.

However, for those who do, you will find the beach pretty empty. At least it was last time. Some of us stayed overnight, and Sunday was even less crowded then Saturday. I don't know what weekend the Super Bowl is next year, but that is the date we will be going down there. I believe it will be the 1st weekend of February, but not 100% sure on that. I know it is quite a distance for most Nor Cal members. I believe I am the southern most member in the Nor Cal chapter, and it is 150 miles from here. Last year, (well actually Feb 4th of this year) I did not take enough money for gas (and seriously underestimated what locking the hubs, lowering the tire psi, and driving in soft sand does to the mpg of the Bronco) and almost ran out of gas on the way home. So this time, I will try and take more than enough, so I can spend more time out in the sand having fun!

They have a day pass, and an overnight pass, and I believe the overnight pass is only $3 more. Also if you plan on driving on the dunes, and not just on the beach, you will need a flag for your vehicle. Bring warm clothing especially if you want to spend the night there, but also it does get windy there during the day, although we did not have too much of it last year.

I will check into the prices to see if anything has changed, but I would like to see if this sounds like something anyone else would want to be interested in doing. I will be going no matter how many or how few other members decide to go. I had a great time last time, and expect to have another one this time. Since it is such a long drive I would recommend staying both days. I chose to do that because I did not want to drive down, and back on the same day. However, I realize not everyone will have the same luxury, or schedule, etc. In any case, I wanted to put this out there so people can start thinking about it, and whether or not it would be something they would like to do.

Jim

Old 12-10-2012, 02:04 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I'd love to go. I got so hooked on Pismo I sold my 2-wheel drive F250 and just replaced it with a 4x4 F250. But why on God's green earth are you planning it for Super Bowl weekend?

Why wouldn't you plan it for a weekend for us guys who don't wanna miss the Super Bowl? That makes no sense to me.

Don't you think it's smarter to maximize attendance, not try and pare it down?

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 12-10-2012 at 02:20 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:05 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
I agree timing is not the best

Old 12-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Well, as stated in the original post, the reason for the Super Bowl weekend is to have the beach/dunes pretty much to ourselves. However, I also stated nothing is written in stone yet. If the general consensus is to move it a week back or forward, then we can do that. I would love to see a good turnout from both Nor Cal FTE members, and So Cal FTE members, however, we are at a disadvantage due to the distance.

I would think the weekend after the Super Bowl would be better than the weekend before, but that is just me. I have no known commitments to any weekend that far in advance, and currently the only job I have (if you can call it that) is Tuesday picking veggies, and Wednesday selling them. We are trying to get the stand open on Saturdays to sell as well, so I may have to take that day off. However, I may also have a job by then. Either way, I will rearrange my schedule to make this GTG because it is the only one where we meet with the So Cal guys, but also it is Pismo.

I will be checking prices, and getting in touch with Sean (the So Cal chapter leader) between now and then, and there is plenty of time to set a firm date and stick to it. Now is the time to agree on a date that as many people as possible can live with. I know, that no matter what date we set, there will be some people who cannot make it for one reason or another. We can still call it the 2nd annual Pismo Beach sand in your pants GTG, no matter what date it is. I am open for suggestions.

And like last time, family and friends are welcome to come along. Bring the kids, the dog, whatever. It will be a family oriented event with some good old fashion 4x4'ing thrown in, and like I stated in the original post, I will be sure to bring more gas money with me so I can enjoy the 4x4 part since I have no family to bring down, and I doubt my friends would want to spend the weekend there. Although, they do have relatives in San Luis Obispo they can sleep at if they wanted. Would all depend on their work schedules.

Last time it was stated to bring food, or drinks or a dish, or something and let Sean or I know what you are bringing so we can plan accordingly. however, everyone brought enough food for their family/friends, and didn't really eat/drink what was brought down by other people, so I don't know if we should do that again this time, or just let everyone bring their own food and drinks. I don't think alcoholic beverages are allowed since it is a state park, but I will check on that when I check the admission prices.

Jim

Old 12-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Changing it from Super Bowl weekend doesn't guarantee attendance to be sure, but it sure does maximize the percentage for some of us who wouldn't otherwise go.

I went in July and while the beach was full, it wasn't so packed that you couldn't enjoy yourself. Also, the more people on the dunes, the more help there is for when ya get stuck.

Just my opinion, but food and drink should be a bring your own/fend-for-yourself/share-with-whomever kind of thing. People eat at different times and I for one don't wanna be tied down to a group meal.

As for the alcohol, I dunno if it's not allowed, but you won't find a group of campers out there that doesn't have some kind of ETOH!

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 12-26-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Well, according to this site: Oceano Dunes SVRA, day passes are $5.00 and overnight passes are $10.00. Only 4x4 vehicles are allowed to camp on the beach. And all camping is done south of Post #2.

I agree with the bring your own food idea. If you want to bring anything extra, then that is fine. I brought extra chips, and soda, but ended up bringing most of them home as everyone else had theirs already.

Jim

Old 12-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

So, who is up for this event? Would like to get a rough idea of the number of Nor Cal members going to be there. I know I will make it barring any unforeseen mishap between now and then. Anyone else?

Jim

Old 12-20-2012, 08:17 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Well, I'm just waiting for the date to be set so I can see if it will work.

What's the date?

Stewart

Old 12-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Well, if the Super Bowl is on the first Sunday of February (the 3rd), like last year, then we could schedule it for the following weekend of the 8th-9th.

Jim

Old 12-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Then barring weather, or some other unforeseen circumstances (I'm my mothers primary caregiver), count me in, and probably my son too.

Stewart

Old 12-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Here is the link to the So Cal thread on the GTG. He states Feb 2nd, but i have asked if we can move it back a week to give more members a chance to be there.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12632851

Jim

Old 01-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Well, it appears that it will be on the Super Bowl weekend, just like last year. If we push it back a week, then we lose more people. So, it will remain on that weekend. With that being said, anyone else going to try and make it? A little less than four weeks away.

Jim

Old 01-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Nighteyez
Well, it appears that it will be on the Super Bowl weekend, just like last year. If we push it back a week, then we lose more people. So, it will remain on that weekend. With that being said.....

LOL, gimme a break Jim. No real attempt was even made at exploring any other date. You saw how I got shut down when I just asked if it was a possibility.

Like I said in their thread, take lots of pics!

Stewart

Old 01-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Well, you read the thread. No matter what date we set, we will lose somebody. So, might as well keep the original date. I am sure plenty of pics will be taken, Sean (wpnaes) will take plenty, and I will take some myself.

Jim

Old 01-08-2013, 07:18 PM
bdpotts
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
i'd love to attend but game-day weekend or not, i will not be able to. it sounds like a good time though. i really enjoy camping and cooking. and drinking. and music. and impromptu dog parks. and... camping s'more.
for those of you that go, have fun and please be safe.
i'm not sure who's official job it is to plan/organize these things but i think its really great you do. i will pencil it in my calendar for next time fer sure.

Quick Reply: 2nd Annual Pismo Beach Sand N Your pants GTG with So Cal chapter.