1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Recommended" Accessories?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 05:55 AM
GallopingForester
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Recommended" Accessories?

Got my truck, an F250 twin turbo diesel super duty.

First thing I added to it was The Club. I'm already shopping for a truck cover when it is sitting in the apartment parking lot. Bed liner, as well, is on the list for things to do, soon.

Items on the list but not for the immediate are the CB radio, mast, and rifle storage.

As I read the many owner's manuals, I'm thinking jumper cables....and then I'm thinking bed tool box. This is my first pick up, ever, so while I've seen them, I've never used or handled them. While it's not a truck accessory, since I got the truck to use in building the ranch, having a bow saw, at least, in it whenever the truck is used might be wise, too!

What should I start to put on the list, what should I start budgeting for?

Old 12-06-2012, 06:15 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
The Club is worthless. If they want your truck, they will simply cut your steering wheel with bolt cutters.

Jimmi Jammers can slow down a thief trying to get into your truck, but will not stop them. The best accessory for theft is a good insurance policy.

As for the accessories, I am still debating the addition of a train horn (want one, but am pretty sure I would get a ticket if I had one), and I am thinking about under seat storage.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:21 AM
GallopingForester
Freshman User
Originally Posted by redford
The Club is worthless. If they want your truck, they will simply cut your steering wheel with bolt cutters.

Jimmi Jammers can slow down a thief trying to get into your truck, but will not stop them. The best accessory for theft is a good insurance policy.

As for the accessories, I am still debating the addition of a train horn (want one, but am pretty sure I would get a ticket if I had one), and I am thinking about under seat storage.
In ANY situation, if someone really really really wants to, they can do it.

Whatever the situation, whatever the defense, it probably won't stop everyone all the time......the point is how much it stops most people most of the time.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:16 PM
GallopingForester
Freshman User
Bouncing my question for the day crew.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:13 PM
emptyspace
New User
If you're going to be putting a bunch of trees and stuff in the bed, you might think about getting a headache rack to protect your back window. I've got an RKI rack on mine and I love it. Keeps stuff from breaking my window, keeps the sun out of the cab, and it's nice for when I need to haul stuff that's too long for the bed, and it looks pretty cool, IMHO.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:25 PM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
Jimmy Jammers and a gate keeper for the tail gate.

Jimmy Jammers

http://www.jimmijammer.com/Product,%20JJ.htm

Gate Keeper
http://www.jimmijammer.com/Product,%20GK.htm

Old 12-06-2012, 02:33 PM
GallopingForester
Freshman User
Headache rack? Jimmy Jammers?

Babe in the woods here, please define or link what you are talking about.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:51 PM
emptyspace
New User
Originally Posted by GallopingForester
Headache rack? Jimmy Jammers?

Babe in the woods here, please define or link what you are talking about.
Headache rack is a steel thing that mounts to the bed rails and protects your back window. There's a picture of one here: Tool Boxes | The preferred dealer in Houston Texas featuring Tool Boxes for Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, Nissan and Toyota Trucks. about halfway down the page. They come in different styles and colors and stuff, just google for 'headache rack f250'.

Jimmy Jammers are a theft prevention device that keeps thieves from prying your door handles to get into the truck. See here: Vehicle Security and Theft Prevention Devices

Old 12-06-2012, 03:37 PM
SC_Hoaty
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
You mentioned a bow saw in the tool box. We have a tool box on one of the trucks - the one that gets used on lots of "project" tasks. In it are some things for the truck - starting spray, oil, brake fluid, jumper cables, tire inflator, come-along. And some basic hand tools - socket set, crows foot wrench set, screwdriver assortment, cheater bar. Some tools for the woods - bow saw, axe, limb nippers. And an assortment of straps to tie stuff down.

A buddy who owns a diesel keeps a spare CPS and a few other parts to get the diesel going if it quits.

A decent flashlight is a good idea too - because stuff breaks when it is the wrong time.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:15 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Oh, also get a fire extinguisher.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:48 AM
Chalkie
Senior User
Here is my list of things always in the truck:
In the tool box - tools (sockets, wrenchs, screwdrivers,etc.), Jump box, jumper cables, rechargable spot light, tow strap, oil, washer fluid, spare coolant, fuel filter, diesel additive, tie down straps.
In the cab - Maglight, LED Tac light, fire extinguisher, snow/ice scraper, blanket, candle in a can, gloves, rain gear, foldup emergency triangles, spare jacket and hat, disposable gloves and hand cleaner wipes.

And while not everyone is licensed, I also have a mounted ham radio and a hand held ham radio in the truck.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:14 AM
trooper180
Freshman User
Another handy thing to have is an Entrenching Tool (folding shovel). You can get a real one at an Army surplus store or a wannabe at Walmart or any place that has camping gear.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:15 AM
GallopingForester
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Chalkie
Here is my list of things always in the truck:
In the tool box - tools (sockets, wrenchs, screwdrivers,etc.), Jump box, jumper cables, rechargable spot light, tow strap, oil, washer fluid, spare coolant, fuel filter, diesel additive, tie down straps.
In the cab - Maglight, LED Tac light, fire extinguisher, snow/ice scraper, blanket, candle in a can, gloves, rain gear, foldup emergency triangles, spare jacket and hat, disposable gloves and hand cleaner wipes.

And while not everyone is licensed, I also have a mounted ham radio and a hand held ham radio in the truck.
Speaking of ham radios. what's your view of this lot:
Renč Bates Auctioneers, Inc.
(and is it even legal to have if you don't have a license yet)

I'm not a Ham yet....but that's on the list.

The fire extinguisher, is that mounted or just kept somewhere where it can be gotten at?

Old 12-07-2012, 08:25 AM
DarrellinCeres
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
fire extinguisher mount

I mounted mine on the back door on the bottom. It fits between the seat and door with the door closed. I also have one under my dog box on the center seat. I never use the seat so I made a mount with a small piece of wood so I can reach the fire extinguisher from the back of the seat. The wood also keeps things I put on the seat under the box from sliding onto the back seat floor.

Along with tools, tow straps, lights, flares and such I keep a spare serpentine belt and my programmer. The programmer also can read the codes.

I also keep a GHB (Get Home Bag) in the truck. and a medical kit.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Chalkie
Senior User
Originally Posted by GallopingForester
Speaking of ham radios. what's your view of this lot:
Renč Bates Auctioneers, Inc.
(and is it even legal to have if you don't have a license yet)

I'm not a Ham yet....but that's on the list.

The fire extinguisher, is that mounted or just kept somewhere where it can be gotten at?
None of that appears to be ham radio gear. Since it is a fire station, my guess is it is old police/fire radios.

You can certainly have a ham radio without a license. There is nothing wrong with listening, it is only illegal to transmit without a license.

I keep the fire extinguisher behind the rear seat, but it is not mounted in a rack or anything.

Quick Reply: "Recommended" Accessories?