Sponsored by: DP Tuner

where shall I start. several issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 10:40 PM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where shall I start. several issues

to keep this short and not a build thread but this is what it feels like. the sad part is I am not building. I am fixing to make things right. each time I attempt to fix one thing another pops up. funds are tight (like that is something new)
but just got done with school for two years and not working. (older student)

anyway I bought my Van in Maine, I live in Montana. drove it home and started to tinker. and as of today I am a few grand already into it and its still not right. more to go.

first off I have a few questions:
1. anybody know where I can find the bracket for the EBPS sensor and tube on the front of the motor. I stripped mind when I replaced the sensor and tube. $20 at the local dealer and will order tomorrow if I dont get any leads.

2. Van pedestals are slightly different than truck ones. I bought a delete and found out that there is a bracket that holds a metal guard that sits over the turbo to help with heat on the dog house. there are two more bolt holes that hold this bracket. I am trying to figure out how to make something to still use the bracket. dont want to burn anything up.

I didnt want to rebuild my pedestal since I have a delete that arrived today.

I will share pics if I can figure out how to load pics.

3. I just want to share my fuel bowl experience. I was just planning on doing the drain as i had a leak. but Clay accidently sent me the O-ring kit. so i figured why not. glad I did.
I had more sediment that the AZ desert. rust color and all. which means I need to mess with the tank now. not thrilled with that cause there calling for neg temps this weekend at night. which makes the highs not so high. no garage. oh and did mention my transfer case needs rebuilt cause my 4x4 dont work. (quigley)

I am sure I am forgetting something. and will add as I think of it.

The beast

the bowl

work space

Last edited by MTDewX; 12-05-2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: trying to add pics
Old 12-05-2012, 10:55 PM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
more pics

fuel bowl bottom with some scraping already

pedestal with me holding the bracket.
notice the extra holes on the left side of the hunk of metal close to the mounting holes

orginally started to doing the plenum inserts. and it just got better.

fuel bowl back in. and still wondering what that black box thing with all the wires is. cause it was in my way.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:59 PM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
this list of things does not include the fact I have to drill out an alt bolt cause I only have two in use.

after transfer case rebuilt and I still dont have 4 wheel then I get to mess with my hubs I guess.

want to do a turbo rebuild, and of course up pipe gaskets (no funds for bellowed unfortantly)
here is a pic of the EBPS tube. it was rusty. so I got a new tube and sensor. but sadly tripped the sensor so I need to find the bracket that holds the two.

the good is I bought two battery boxes for the rail. one to replace my rusty one. and thoughts of moving my engine bay one down there too so I can put in a real air filter. van ones are small. I miss my AIS on my old truck.

then eventually I will build up the inside so I can stay warm and comfortable on the road.
Cheers.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:16 PM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
Just a vender plug.

Cheers to Clay for sending me a fuel bowl kit. even thought i wasn't planning on doing a whole fuel bowl. but glad he did. we have talked about the extra parts and stuff to make things right. so dont anybody get the idea he is giving stuff away aside from the usual stuff. haha

Old 12-05-2012, 11:25 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 787 Likes on 576 Posts
I think the black box blocking access to the fuel filter is the 42 pin connector. On a pickup it would be on the driver side valve cover. It connects the harness from the IDM to the injector harness. I see no problem taking out the bolt, separating the halves, and getting them out of the way, if need arises.

The bowl was hecka dirty which makes me wonder about the status of the filters in the tank. Got the Hutch/Harpoon done yet?

The fuel bowl heater can be deleted with no problems, from what I read. If it shorts it will kill the fuse to the PCM and the truck is dead. OTOH, I still have mine hooked up and live in CA. No problem so I leave it alone.

Also recommend AIH delete plug, but like the fuel heater delete you might want to get a recommendation from a cold weather guy.

Looks like you are determined to treat the old girl right!

Old 12-05-2012, 11:27 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The black box is the 42 pin connector. Apparently that is where it is mounted on a van. On your truck it is mounted in a bracket over the front portion of the driver side valve cover.

I will look tomorrow to see if I kept the EBPS bracket when I switched to an upgraded two peice bracket from DP.

like I said in the PM that red crap in the fuel bowl may have come from contaminated farm fuel which is dyed red.

Have no suggestions about remounting the shield that will now not work with the non-van pedestal.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:38 PM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
well I am keeping the fuel bowl heater for now. never thought of getting ride of it. plus its just SOOO much fun getting in there to get it out.

the lines on the passenger side have the Glow plug relay and anohter one that looks like it right above the fittings. I just hope the dam thing dont leak once I get it all back together.

as for the bracket thing. I am not sure. hoping some one might chime in that has experience. I will also venture to the SMB forums as there are more van guys there.

the bracket for the sensor and tube also looks like its a small plate that bolts to the front of the motor behind the sensor.

thanks for the input.
and no Huch/harpoon mod yet. winter is coming and having it down as long as it has been sucks. and sure as hell am not dropping the tank when its below zero. I just wont go there.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:48 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
John,

Look what I just found out in the garage. PM me an address and I will get it to the post office tomorrow.

I'm hitting the rack and will check PMs in the morning.

Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2012, 06:59 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I would put a pressure washer and some simple green or purple power to the engine first before doing anything else. That has got to be the dirtiest PSD I've ever seen.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Hey van Brother! You've got a van so you should have a steel fuel tank, so it doesn't surprize me that you have massive sediment in the bowl. See this thread:

Ford Painted the Inside of the Fuel Tank ! ???

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...fuel-tank.html

IMO, you should drop the tank now, otherwise you are not fixing the cause of your problem just cleaning up some of the symptoms, which will continue to recur.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:46 AM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by robbragiel
I would put a pressure washer and some simple green or purple power to the engine first before doing anything else. That has got to be the dirtiest PSD I've ever seen.
I have to get things back together before I presure washer anything. yes its dirty. but its hard to see being a van.

sad thing is I can't use the pedestal delete cause the vans have that dam bracket for a heat sheild. so I get to rebuild my current one. but will do that later. so putting it all back together tonight hopefully so I can at least drive the beast for the weekend. and look for leaks of course.

and Yes PaysonPSD that is exactly what I am looking for thanks. Pming you.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:57 AM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
Rebuilt pedestal kit ordered. along with the turbo rebuild kit. slightly looking fwd to attempting the rebuilds. and looking fwd to getting it put back together. aside from the tank being my next project

sending new delete pedestal back to Clay

wish I could have gone that route, but I dont see how i will be able to mount the bracket I need that sits over the turbo.

keep you all posted.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:48 AM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Have u considered relocating the fuel filter bowl where it will not be such a PITA to change the filter? I know there are several different ways that it can be done but definitely worth it in the long run IMO.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:19 AM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by carltonwebb
Have u considered relocating the fuel filter bowl where it will not be such a PITA to change the filter? I know there are several different ways that it can be done but definitely worth it in the long run IMO.

I have considered MANY options. at this point I am trying to get the kinks worked out. funds are tight so I am doing what I can and focus on mechanics.
moding where I can, but really just staying stock for now.

trust me. My list of LOOOONG of what I want to do. and of course timing is also a factor. no garage, snow on the ground makes it more interesting.

luckily I can ride the bus to work during the week. lol

Old 12-10-2012, 11:49 PM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
Parts are IN!

so I got the pedestal rebuilt kit and it is mostly cleaned up. (dam it was dirty) but not surprising with the looks of my motor valley.

pretty straight forward so I was plesantly surprised. also I am not going to hone out the cyclinder as its pretty darn smooth. guessing its been unplugged for a loong time. and second I dont have a honer tool.

but now that i have it apart. there is that sensor that is on the front end that would face fwd of the motor that has the plug on it.

well it has two small O-rings on it that I would like to replace. but its not in the pedestal rebuild kit. thought that it should be. I messaged Clay so I am sure to hear from him soon.

but thought It would ask if I should even bother. can I get them from the dealer??? the problem with that is I presume I would have to buy some kit that cost way to much.

also is it advisable to just replace it anyway?

just want to get this project done and my rig running again.

Quick Reply: where shall I start. several issues