1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Mare's (dually) mod list!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 08:41 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I believe that is like mine, four springs and then the overload spring. Talk about springs, Darin has a 'lot' of springs, LOL

Old 12-03-2012, 12:01 PM
richdawg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been thinking about adding another leaf or just going with bags. The spring might effect the ride when not loaded though. I also have found it a little difficult to find the bags, the dually is a little different to install (less clearance).

Old 12-03-2012, 12:17 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Forgot, put swamps HVHF IDM into the mare and the 140v IDM that I had in the mule for years back in. Another thing that I've had done already is the bed rino (rhino sp?)coated, turned out really nice!

Did you coated the bed yourself. Why did you choose rhino and not other like bedliner?

BTW you have a very good work to do in the near future with the mare Id like to be there to help you.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:17 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by richdawg
I have been thinking about adding another leaf or just going with bags. The spring might effect the ride when not loaded though. I also have found it a little difficult to find the bags, the dually is a little different to install (less clearance).
I didn't know that about bags and dually being different. hmmmm

Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
Did you coated the bed yourself. Why did you choose rhino and not other like bedliner?

BTW you have a very good work to do in the near future with the mare Id like to be there to help you.

I've had dura liners and rubber mats and stuff gets under them and you can't wash is out. Also, if water gets under there it will rust the bed out. I think this will work out the best. I also like it on the bed rails, better then scraching them up.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:56 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Rich, my ride does suffer some when empty with the heavy springs on, but loaded it is like a dually, and rides excellent imo. That suspension carries it so well, it was like night and day from the originals.

Glenn, the bed looks great. I'd like to do that too, but I've had a bad dented up wheel well since I bought it (it was like that). There is a like new 97 long box in rapid city that keeps getting advertised on craigslist, its down to 325 bucks. I just wish I were closer, I'd grab that for the future paint job, then would do what you did with the liner. Man, I'm just rambling now, I better shutup..

Old 12-03-2012, 04:30 PM
richdawg
Fleet Mechanic
Forgot, put swamps HVHF IDM into the mare and the 140v IDM that I had in the mule for years back in. Another thing that I've had done already is the bed rino (rhino sp?)coated, turned out really nice!

Glenn, You will like the spray on liner, mine is linex and I think its been on sense truck was new. Your pic reminded me of a mod I did to the plug outlet. Now I have two working 7 pin connectors and one 6 pin in the bumper.

I added another 7 pin plug to the front of the fender well. I just never felt good about connecting or disconneting the plug while my head was between the bed rail and the 5er's overhang. Gave me the eeebe jeebe's (word IDK) sp

Old 12-03-2012, 04:34 PM
richdawg
Fleet Mechanic
Darin, Thanks for confirming the ride info, I'll be watchin Glenn to see what he does about the rough ride (wife don't like it at all)

Old 12-03-2012, 05:05 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good luck getting it ready for next year Glenn. Just don't let me get ahold of your mod list and you'll be fine. Plug away at it steadily and you should get it done faster than you think.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:35 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

That's a good point about the location of the plug Rich. I always block the wheels, unplug the 5er, disconnect the emergency cable and put the front landing legs down before I unlock the hitch. It would be so eash to screw up thinking about something else. My plug is laying there because I have something weird going on that I can't figure out yet. Every thing works except the lights are on the camper all the time and the two running lights on each dually fender are on. The rest of them are off on the pickup.

You have my mod list in this thread Travis, I just can't give you my plastic, LOL. I have four months, you would think that shouldn't be a problem. I'm working out of town on it so I shouldn't be bothered with, 'honey will you do this and honey will you do that'? !!!!!

Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 PM
Redneckmorton
Senior User
Looking forward to a follow along. I've always wondered why you didn't have a dully to pull that baby crib with.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:13 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Rich, fyi I have 10 leafs on mine, plus an overload. It's a factory ford F550 spring pack. It rides just fine on a decent road, however it will find most every bump on the rough ones when empty. This doesn't matter in my case, as basically all I use my truck for is towing pretty heavy. I have other old vehicles for everyday driving.

IMO anytime you add leafs, your ride empty will suffer, but it will carry a load better.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:30 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
IMO anytime you add leafs, your ride empty will suffer, but it will carry a load better.
Unless the leafs are thinner, such as with the Deaver superflex springs. There are more leafs in the pack, but each leaf is considerably thinner for better flex. My F-150, which is lifted, uses like 6 or 7 leafs and rides just as smooth as stock. Obviously you wouldn't want to use them for the towing y'all do. LOL

Old 12-03-2012, 06:37 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
Unless the leafs are thinner, such as with the Deaver superflex springs. There are more leafs in the pack, but each leaf is considerably thinner for better flex. My F-150, which is lifted, uses like 6 or 7 leafs and rides just as smooth as stock. Obviously you wouldn't want to use them for the towing y'all do. LOL
True. Slightly different case.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:18 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Redneckmorton
Looking forward to a follow along. I've always wondered why you didn't have a dully to pull that baby crib with.
Baby crib, that's pretty funny!

Old 12-04-2012, 07:47 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Rich, fyi I have 10 leafs on mine, plus an overload. It's a factory ford F550 spring pack. It rides just fine on a decent road, however it will find most every bump on the rough ones when empty. This doesn't matter in my case, as basically all I use my truck for is towing pretty heavy. I have other old vehicles for everyday driving.

Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
Since we are on the topic of leafs/loading/ride comfort.
Has anyone had any experience with Icon lifts?
They are all spring lifts.. all USA made steel. No blocks whatsoever.

Kinda curious how they would ride and handle a load. I was gunna call to ask what the load rating on their 6" lift would be. Never got around to it..

Performance Suspension Systems, Coil-Over Shocks, Uniball Upper Control Arms, and Lift Kits for Trucks and Suv's

Quick Reply: Mare's (dually) mod list!