6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

state and federal taxes per gallon of*Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 02:06 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
state and federal taxes per gallon of*Diesel

Here is a*map*averaging the local, state and federal taxes per gallon of*Diesel:

I found this interesting, you never hear any politician advocating eliminating the tax to help the "little guy"

Read more here How Much Do We Pay in Taxes For These Everyday Items? | TheBlaze.com

Old 11-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
ours is highest cost per gal but lowest taxed, thats weird

Old 11-29-2012, 02:30 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,130 Likes on 1,026 Posts
That's because they have to pull it outta the ground up there - ship it south for refining - then turn it around and ship it back for sale. THEN, Alaska can tax it.

You need to build your own refinery.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:45 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by b-uno
ours is highest cost per gal but lowest taxed, thats weird
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Alaska has a big vested interest in high oil and gas prices.
Oil revenue accounts for 90% of the state's tax haul. So its budget swells and oil royalties gush into a special state investment fund -- the only one of its kind in the United States.

And that can translate into windfalls for residents, who share in the oil bounty through annual dividends paid by the fund and, in boom times, direct payments from the state.
For example, when oil and gas hit record highs in 2008, residents received $3,000 checks, twice what they normally get.

Is this for real? So if you get a check what r u really paying for that gallon?

Check it out here: http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/29/mark..._oil/index.htm

Alaska wears two hats when it deals with oil extraction. Alaska is the owner of the oil (just like “Farmer Brown” in Texas) and Alaska is a sovereign government with taxing authority (a power that “Farmer Brown” in Texas does not have). Alaska acts as the owner when it sells its oil by entering into a lease agreement (contract) that gives an oil company (the lessor) a contractual right to explore and develop oil from the leased acreage. These royalty payments range from 5-20% of gross value of all oil produced under various lease agreements in Alaska). Royalty payments are the primary revenue source of non-investment earnings into the Permanent Fund from which annual dividends are paid to Alaskans

Last edited by raptor131; 11-29-2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Add quotes from Pg.11 of http://www.makealaskacompetitive.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Final-OITS-Report-3-15-11.pdf
Old 11-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Old 11-29-2012, 05:20 PM
winged1dur
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny, but that map looks like the 2012 electoral college map. Except red is blue and blue is red. All of the high tax states voted democrat. Coincidence?

Old 11-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Originally Posted by winged1dur
Funny, but that map looks like the 2012 electoral college map. Except red is blue and blue is red. All of the high tax states voted democrat. Coincidence?

And to think i thought hostess stopped making Ding Dongs!!!!

Old 11-29-2012, 05:41 PM
cay5628
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
California is the highest tax rate and San Luis Obispo County (where I live) is usually the highest prices for both gasoline and diesel in the state.
Diesel was back up to $4.05 a gallon at the local truck stop this morning, where I buy my fuel.
-shaking my head....

-Mark

Old 11-29-2012, 06:22 PM
rattleNsmoke
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We're screwed in CT. We have an A-Hole governor that bumped the diesel road tax .05\gal last summer and hurt the local contractors and residents with a diesel truck. Long-haulers don't need to stop in CT for fuel, they bypass this small state.
Mike

Old 11-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Frankenbiker
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by raptor131
I found this interesting, you never hear any politician advocating eliminating the tax to help the "little guy"
That's because the "little guy" benefits directly from these (road) taxes.

The federal highway system is self-funding, for both maintaining existing road, and building new road. It doesn't get any funding from the government's other revenue streams.

Federal taxes pay for the interstate system and highways with a federal highway number, even though they're disbursed at the state level. You can easily note these highways because of the shield shape of the highway sign or background.

State taxes are distributed a little differently; Some of them go to supplement federal monies for US highways and Interstates; some of them go to state-designated highways, and some go to to local and county roads. You can easily note a state highway because the road number is shown on a state silhouette, or a black number on a white background.

Unlike other taxes, fuel taxes are earmarked for a specific purpose, and not wantonly dumped into the general funds of government, and thus are much harder to randomly plunder for pet projects.

The problem with fuel taxes are that very few (only one, as I recall, but I may be wrong) are indexed to inflation; so they're trying to build and maintain roads on 20-year-old revenue projections, when prices for road materials (and the labor to lay them) have skyrocketed.

Raising fuel taxes to what they "need to be" is political suicide, because most non-indexed taxes usually need to be doubled. What no one seems to have the political ***** to do is raise the fuel taxes only one cent per year for a few years, and then see what that does for keeping the Federal Highway Trust Fund solvent.

And as someone who pays fuel taxes on 18,000 (yes, EIGHTEEN THOUSAND) gallons of diesel per year, I'm very much for raising the fuel tax. I'm tired of being beaten to death on rotting freeways that no one wants to pay to fix.

-blaine

Old 11-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Frankenbiker
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke
We're screwed in CT. We have an A-Hole governor that bumped the diesel road tax .05\gal last summer and hurt the local contractors and residents with a diesel truck. Long-haulers don't need to stop in CT for fuel, they bypass this small state.
Mike
Heard of IFTA? That's the International Fuel Tax Agreement. It's purpose is to distribute (apportion) fuel taxes to the various states when a vehicle has enough fuel capacity to drive across multiple states with only one fuel stop. Twenty years ago, you had to either buy a certain amount of fuel in every state, or pay (in cash) an amount of fuel tax that equaled what you would burn in that state, when you crossed the state line. That's why you see weigh-stations at state lines; they collected fuel tax when you crossed the scale.

I may not need to buy fuel in CT, but I still pay fuel tax on every gallon of fuel I burn when in the state, regardless of where I purchase it.

And at 4 MPG, even in CT that adds up pretty fast...

-blaine

Old 11-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
There must be something else missing that causes fuel prices to vary
so much - than what that map shows.
When I was in WY in Feb '12 gas was $2.60 compared to $3.40
cheapest anywhere else I drove from FL to NV.
I wished the rental truck had a 100 gallon tank! on that day...

Local city/county taxes also vary wildly. One station is in the
"city" while across the street it is outside the "city" limits and
thus their gas/fuel prices are different.

Delivery costs also play a big factor..
Orlando has a pipeline from the Port of Tampa, FL compared to
trucking the fuel to Melbourne/Daytona Beach.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:46 PM
Frankenbiker
Fleet Mechanic
Distribution is what makes the fuel prices vary so much, in addition to behind the scenes (usually political) manipulation for whatever reason...

It's not the pipeline part so much as it is the distance from the pipeline terminal to the retail pump. Some stations are a 5-6 hour drive from the pipeline terminal. If the station is a high-volume station, it must employ a large number of trucks and drivers to keep the retail tanks filled. Some national retailers are reasonably good about balancing so that the distribution cost is not driven too far out of proportion, while still maintaining just enough extra to make you feel like you're getting gouged.

Also part of the picture is how those companies cover hedging contracts from major customers; many trucking companies buy fuel on six-month contract, which sets the price per gallon for the entire length of the contract. The refiner and distributor must make the cost up if the contract price is lower than the daily or weekly production price.

Yes, there *IS* some greed involved, but there's not as much as you think there is.

And NO, there's absolutely NO reason for diesel to still be 25+% more than gasoline.... *grumble*

Old 11-29-2012, 07:16 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Frankenbiker

And NO, there's absolutely NO reason for diesel to still be 25+% more than gasoline.... *grumble*
You got it! I remember when it was cheaper than premium gas.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:25 PM
1eyedjack
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is diesel so much more than gas??? I bought my powerstroke 6 years ago, first diesel I ever owned. I remember before I bought the truck diesel was ALWAYS cheaper than gas, then 2 months after I bought the truck BOOM diesel shot up way past gas. Damn government waited till I bought the powerstroke then raised the prices. Those SOB's.

Quick Reply: state and federal taxes per gallon of*Diesel